The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To many No birds at a test? Judges?

Default To many No birds at a test? Judges?

What do yall consider to many no birds from the flier station for a test.
    When would you fire the shooters if you could?

I don't like one. Makes for an unfair situation.
    I have never fired one, but I have add another shooter.

David Wolfe

2 no birds in a row.
    How The West was Won ( Colt)
    Delilahs Addicted to Mischief ( Delilah) My Jammin little girl
    Extreme Dixies Rebel Yell ( Dixie ) JH
    Dawsons Little Sable (Sable) 12 /08 - 5/14 , We'll hunt again someday girl.

St. Thomas, the great doctor and theologian, warns about the proper use of animals, lest they appear at the final Judgment against us: and God himself will take vengeance on all who misuse his creatures.

I'll agree one no bird certainly messes with that one dogs head. Bad deal when you might have to leave the line with no retrieve and then have to come back.

before you criticize a bird thrower or a gunner You gotta ask yourself

1. if not them, then who

2. are you prepared to go out there and throw

Throwing a live pheasant flyer is a tough task if you have never done it, there is a reason they have masks on because they are ornery birds, so are banty roosters...getting a pheasant to fly in a somewhat controlled direction takes some skill, and a gunner who can adjust to every type of throw imaginable....add the pressure of a field trial and its a recipe for failure..I consider myself a good to very good bird thrower, but I do not enjoy the pressure of throwing the flyer at a trial..
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

As both a judge and a gunner, I look at both sides. Recently as a gunner, the judges set up a bad situation at the flyer station that basically made it impossible for gunners. It was pointed out to the judges that with that set up there was a good likelihood of no birds, which there were. Dogs were sent for birds they shouldn't have been and it made for a bad test overall. When I am judging I like to confer with my gunners to be certain they have clear fields of fire and are comfortable with where I want the birds dropped. That being said, I have not come across too many situations where no birds were a problem to a great extent.

Dawn
    mostlygold
    Terrill's Mr Butch CDX TT; Terrill's Adalay CD TD; Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HR WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    before you criticize a bird thrower or a gunner You gotta ask yourself

1. if not them, then who

2. are you prepared to go out there and throw

Throwing a live pheasant flyer is a tough task if you have never done it, there is a reason they have masks on because they are ornery birds, so are banty roosters...getting a pheasant to fly in a somewhat controlled direction takes some skill, and a gunner who can adjust to every type of throw imaginable....add the pressure of a field trial and its a recipe for failure..I consider myself a good to very good bird thrower, but I do not enjoy the pressure of throwing the flyer at a trial..
    Ur absolutely right, the thrower on a flier station has a lot of control over no birds. If you have a good thrower that can put a nice arc on the bird, and the wind is correct some pretty fliers can be shot. If the thrower is only giving you the ass end of the bird to hit, your going to have no birds. "The bird thrower will make you.. or break you" is true in all aspects...
    "Women are like labradors...,they all have their quarks."~Phil Robertson

Judges can cause no birds just as easily by the way they set up a test. I shot for a club after a test had a pile of no birds. Thankfully, an excellent thrower came out with us replacing the group that was in and it made all the difference in the world. We did have control of changing the test because we would not throw or shoot until well after the left bird had retired quite a long distance behind an oak tree. Even then, the slightest left turn was a no bird. The slightest right turn was a no bird behind the gunners. Horrible set up but, the judges pushed through too many dogs to scrap the test apparently. I wish I'd never walked out into that field with a gun in my hand. The judges should have been fired after the first three no birds and they didn't change the test.

Just as easily, an overzealous thrower can equally cause issues. The judges want a bird to land 20 yards in front of the station and the gunner is acting like he needs to throw a 40 yard flier? Try to talk them into a soft blooper throw and he thinks its the world series and he's going to throw the runner out at home plate-

Sun coming up, high noon, sun going down-

Fliers with no feathers

Wind

There are million and one reasons why no birds occur. I'm always happy when someone calls no bird for safety because it means folks are paying attention and keeping on their toes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    What do yall consider to many no birds from the flier station for a test.
    When would you fire the shooters if you could?
    To echo Bon's comments, it's easy to play armchair quarterback. I've thrown, shot, and thrown and shot. None of it is easy. One trick I learned by chance with ducks is to stick their heads in a shorts or jacket pocket when I get each one out of the crate. They get quiet and settle down making it better for the dog at the line to not have the flyer quacking like crazy as well as making for a more accurate, consistent throw.

As a shooter, wind plays a huge factor. I've thrown and shot when the wind was swirling in the fourth series. The first 12 birds were shot cleanly and within about a 20 foot radius. The wind then shifted into our faces. The next two birds flew straight up and hard left right at the the middle gun station. We ended up with two no birds in a row due to a bird landing at our feet and the next preventing a shot entirely due to being unsafe. We had one more no bird that series due to the wind. I've definitely seen some bad shots and bad throwers but it's often more the result of bad setups or bad conditions than just people who don't know what they're doing.
    "When a good trainer stops learning about dogs, he stops being a good trainer." the late Gene Hill

"If you want to find out what kind of trainer you are, leave your transmitter in the truck." the late Rex Carr

http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood..../dog_formulas/

Quote Originally Posted by J. Walker View Post
    They get quiet and settle down making it better for the dog at the line to not have the flyer quacking like crazy as well as making for a more accurate, consistent throw.
    just put your finger in the quack hole.