The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: conversation on the line?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    I completely agree that it's distracting although, much more for the handler than the dogs. I've never seen a dog suck to a retired gun station instead of a flier because the dog heard some noise on the radio. You'll never get a sterile library type environment. There will always be whistles, chatting from the gallery, chatting from the camp trailers and radio noise. Up to the handler to suck it up and run the dog and not make excuses.

Interesting. I have seen dogs suck to a retired station enroute to a flyer. In some cases, there was noise or movement from that station that I am pretty sure was a contributing factor. I don't recall it ever happening to me, but to other dogs, yes.

I have also seen cases where a loud noise behind the line has caused a dog to turn its head at an inopportune moment, and the dog did not see the full flight of a mark.

That being said, as a competitor, you take what you get and do the best you can with it.

As a common courtesy, others should do their best not to be the cause of excess distraction when others are running.
    -=#David

Well, this started off as a really interesting thread. Too bad we couldn't keep it that way. (Rick_C 2009, Classic RTF)
    __________________________________________________ _
    Take what you get and thank them (the Judges) afterwards no matter what the outcome. (Moira Sheehan)

1st doesnt bother me.. I'll talk to line, on honor bucket But when i'm on bucket or running dog no talking

The only time i really think "hey be quite" is when the judge is talking with other judge or marshall, bird boy etc... You called me to the line!!! If you arent ready dont call me!!
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/

I tend to be more distracted by others talking in training than on line at a trial. I would guess it means that I'm not as focused.

I have had young Derby age dogs be distracted by noises and movement by the judges on line during a trial. Usually an inexperienced dog in it's first few trials.

DP

I am very hard of hearing, if i can hear someone behind me talking they get the glare. If this doesn't get their attention, they get "Quite on the SET". If this doesn't do it, they get "Shut the F UP!". If people want to visit they should stay home, too many things to do besides talk when training or testing to run ya mout.
    Just Win

[QUOTE=BBnumber1;1152570]that I am pretty sure [QUOTE]

Very sorry to partially quote you but, that statement is at the root of most of these excuses for the dogs work.
    Last edited by Paul "Happy" Gilmore; 10-09-2013 at 10:44 AM.

[QUOTE=Paul "Happy" Gilmore;1152589][QUOTE=BBnumber1;1152570]that I am pretty sure

Very sorry to partially quote you but, that statement is at the root of most of these excuses for the dogs work.

except I was not making an excuse. Was not a dog I had any vested interest in. Just observation.
    -=#David

Well, this started off as a really interesting thread. Too bad we couldn't keep it that way. (Rick_C 2009, Classic RTF)
    __________________________________________________ _
    Take what you get and thank them (the Judges) afterwards no matter what the outcome. (Moira Sheehan)

All right I will come clean...I talk and I have been hushed before. My bad. I will try to be more thoughtful in the future, but not until after October 19th at South MS! I will be running Finished AND I'm headed down there to have a good time. *Hopefully this will be Jack's last Finished test. I'm planning on socializing with friends and hopefully lots of celebrating.

In training my dogs have been subjected to lots of noise, illegal and immoral acts, and downright rudeness at the line. The worst HT gallery would be more like my dogs attending a church service. Carry on party goers, don't let me interfere just because I have a dog at the line, we don't even know y'all are back there.

* Notice I said "hopefully". Worse thing that can happen is for Jack not to pass and y'all have to put up with us at a few more tests.

Lonnie Spann
    Last edited by Lonnie Spann; 10-09-2013 at 10:53 AM.
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

Happy and his dogs get nervous in Church like settings...

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Spann View Post
    All right I will come clean...I talk and I have been hushed before. My bad. I will try to be more thoughtful in the future, but not until after October 19th at South MS! I will be running Finished AND I'm headed down there to have a good time. *Hopefully this will be Jack's last Finished test. I'm planning on socializing with friends and hopefully lots of celebrating.

In training my dogs have been subjected to lots of noise, illegal and immoral acts, and downright rudeness at the line. The worst HT gallery would be more like my dogs attending a church service. Carry on party goers, don't let me interfere just because I have a dog at the line, we don't even know y'all are back there.

* Notice I said "hopefully". Worse thing that can happen is for Jack not to pass and y'all have to put up with us at a few more tests.

Lonnie Spann
    Is this when you earn the "free" jacket?
    Bill Davis

Should be several "free" jackets being earned at that test along with Lonnie's.
    Wm. Mark Edwards
    Pascagoula, MS

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH
    SHR Tipsy