The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 62

Thread: conversation on the line?

  1. #41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Spann View Post
    All right I will come clean...I talk and I have been hushed before. My bad. I will try to be more thoughtful in the future, but not until after October 19th at South MS! I will be running Finished AND I'm headed down there to have a good time. *Hopefully this will be Jack's last Finished test. I'm planning on socializing with friends and hopefully lots of celebrating.

    In training my dogs have been subjected to lots of noise, illegal and immoral acts, and downright rudeness at the line. The worst HT gallery would be more like my dogs attending a church service. Carry on party goers, don't let me interfere just because I have a dog at the line, we don't even know y'all are back there.

    * Notice I said "hopefully". Worse thing that can happen is for Jack not to pass and y'all have to put up with us at a few more tests.

    Lonnie Spann
    I can't believe Lonnie has had to be hushed at a test....internet yes, but test?
    GRHRCH Huntington's Aged T Perfection MH...Colby (FC AFC Roux MH x GMPR Tyra MH)
    HRCH Huntington's All That Melody...Jazz (GRHRCH Boomer x Callie) Momma's Girl
    Huntington's Cool Customer... Chilly (Lefty QAA x Black SH)

  2. #42
    Senior Member JDogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    MRGV New Mexico
    Posts
    3,575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    This pretty much sums up my feelings on it. The universe is unfair. Deal with it. Nobody is trying to screw your dog.
    I don't believe that was said or implied in the first post. All that was said was that watching the videos made me aware of the background noise that I don't hear at the line and doesn't bother the dog.
    Just an observation not a complaint.
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

  3. #43
    Senior Member Mike Tome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brunswick, MD
    Posts
    1,796

    Default

    When I'm judging (I only judge NAHRA) you better be ready for some conversation. It's a hunt test, isn't it??? My scenario is centered around hunting, so in addition to asking the handler if s/he has any questions, I'll ask if you brought coffee, why you are late, etc., etc., etc. Keeps it light, relaxes some, and some don't even hear me. If I'm calling from the line to start the test, I like to be realistic here too... "Do you see the birds..... here they come!!!!"

    Never had any complaints and have had lots of compliments that "THAT was a fun test!!!" Even from some that didn't Q.
    Mike Tome
    Duckdog's Fast Autofocus
    GMHRCH-III WR North Star's Deuce of Diamonds

    MHR WR Pondview's Bar None 1994-2006

    Duckdogphotography.smugmug.com


  4. #44
    Senior Member fishduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    nowhere Alabama
    Posts
    1,493

    Default

    The most distracting test ever. I ran a Finished test and a squadron of Blue Angels from the air show came over the lake at treetop level. Waited until they passed & called for the birds. Hell of a sight & not something to be forgotten. Dog front footed the marks & ran a nice 3 or 4 whistle blind.

    The original poster didn't use it as an excuse because the dog was ready & focused. The gallery groaning joined the thread later.
    Mark Land

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fall City, WA
    Posts
    4,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tome View Post
    When I'm judging (I only judge NAHRA) you better be ready for some conversation. It's a hunt test, isn't it??? My scenario is centered around hunting, so in addition to asking the handler if s/he has any questions, I'll ask if you brought coffee, why you are late, etc., etc., etc. Keeps it light, relaxes some, and some don't even hear me. If I'm calling from the line to start the test, I like to be realistic here too... "Do you see the birds..... here they come!!!!"

    Never had any complaints and have had lots of compliments that "THAT was a fun test!!!" Even from some that didn't Q.

    Then why do dogs get thrown out for eating the judges lunch?

  6. #46
    Senior Member KNorman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Prairieville, La
    Posts
    1,083

    Default

    Personally, I HATE chit chat as either a handler or judge. Not so much because of dog distraction but from a time management standpoint.

    I once timed the average time wasted per dog by two particularly chatty Master judges who b.s.’ed with every handler both coming and going (and many were running multiple dogs), the marshal, the gallery, etc. and calculated they delayed the whole test almost 6.5 hours over the course of the weekend. We finished on a Sunday just after lunch, so they cost everyone there a night at the hotel.

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fall City, WA
    Posts
    4,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KNorman View Post
    Personally, I HATE chit chat as either a handler or judge. Not so much because of dog distraction but from a time management standpoint.

    I once timed the average time wasted per dog by two particularly chatty Master judges who b.s.’ed with every handler both coming and going (and many were running multiple dogs), the marshal, the gallery, etc. and calculated they delayed the whole test almost 6.5 hours over the course of the weekend. We finished on a Sunday just after lunch, so they cost everyone there a night at the hotel.
    confused a little, isn't the Master test supposed to be scheduled for two days in the rule book?

  8. #48
    Senior Member 2tall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Taos, New Mexico
    Posts
    8,058

    Default

    Judges, gallery, bird boys, gunners . . . . all can talk as much as they want when I'm at the line. Just don't expect an answer! I go into a cone of silence and am not even aware of sound or action outside of the test in front of me. I have been surprised by this at times, when the dog heard or saw something I didn't, but usually they are just as "in the moment" as I am.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

  9. #49
    Senior Member KNorman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Prairieville, La
    Posts
    1,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    confused a little, isn't the Master test supposed to be scheduled for two days in the rule book?
    Friday start....

  10. #50
    Senior Member moonstonelabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Bigfork MT
    Posts
    415

    Default

    I try to stay focused and not let the chatter bother me. I did have one notable negitive experience though. I ran Biscuit and HaM in an open several years ago. Both dogs to the fourth series which ment I went to the line eight times. ... each and every time the senior judge was on his cell phone! I've not forgotten that!!!

    Bill
    Sarita McKnight
    MOONSTONE LABRADORS llc
    Bigfork MT 59911
    www.moonstonelabs.com
    AFC BAMS Liberty Belle MH
    FC-AFC-CNAFC-CFC-CAFC MOONSTONES Hug and Moochie
    FC-AFC MOONSTONES Sea Biscuit Run
    AFC MOONSTONES Ham-Maid Marian
    (406) 249-4140 or (406) 257-7311
    Avatar is AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH ~ 31 MAR 1995-7 OCT 2010
    Photo taken on her 15th birthday...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •