The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: conversation on the line?

Quote Originally Posted by moonstonelabs View Post
    I try to stay focused and not let the chatter bother me. I did have one notable negitive experience though. I ran Biscuit and HaM in an open several years ago. Both dogs to the fourth series which ment I went to the line eight times. ... each and every time the senior judge was on his cell phone! I've not forgotten that!!!

Bill
    Now, that is disrespectful...
    Bill Davis

The most distracting sounds to me are hearing a page ripped out of a binder and a judge asking for the next dog's number before mine is back in from the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Plesko View Post
    The most distracting sounds to me are hearing a page ripped out of a binder and a judge asking for the next dog's number before mine is back in from the field.

lol.....at least they let you pick up the last mark before being told to honor on lead....hahahaaa

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    Then why do dogs get thrown out for eating the judges lunch?
    This is something I have never quite understood.
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

I try to stay focused and not let the chatter bother me. I did have one notable negitive experience though. I ran Biscuit and HaM in an open several years ago. Both dogs to the fourth series which ment I went to the line eight times. ... each and every time the senior judge was on his cell phone! I've not forgotten that!!!

Bill
    So you got called back EACH series with BOTH dogs.....and the senior judge was on the phone each time...Glad I'm not a conspiracy tin foil hat wearing person
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Plesko View Post
    LOL. Been there so many times I have thought about naming a dog "Folded Page" one day.

I have never recorded audio, & I'm probably focused too much, but I haven't "noticed" any excess noise. Judges I've had have been pretty good about reminding people about cell phones & gallery noise down. Sometimes I enjoy the judges who carry on a conversation with me. Like "what's he doing? He had to just step on it."
    HR True Grits Finer Edge

There is something seriously wrong with that. A judge is there to do just that....JUDGE. If I saw a judge on his cell phone all the time like that I'd be having a serious discussion with the hunt test committee and if I was on the committee would be having a discussion with that judge.... and would never invite him/her back again.
    Mike Tome
    Duckdog's Fast Autofocus
    GMHRCH-III WR North Star's Deuce of Diamonds

MHR WR Pondview's Bar None 1994-2006

Duckdogphotography.smugmug.com

I know that if I were to chit chat with a judge that I will leave the line remembering every detail of the conversation and dogs performance secondarily: therefore, as a judge I don't talk to handlers, unless spoken to.

J.O.

Quote Originally Posted by counciloak View Post
    I know that if I were to chit chat with a judge that I will leave the line remembering every detail of the conversation and dogs performance secondarily: therefore, as a judge I don't talk to handlers, unless spoken to.

J.O.
    Yep, I see what you're saying, but coming from an AKC test where the judge treated me like a 10 yr old was a pleasant change.
    HR True Grits Finer Edge