RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

conversation on the line?

12K views 61 replies 34 participants last post by  moonstonelabs 
#1 ·
I ran a variety of tests this summer. Some AKC Senior, some Master, and some HRC Finished. Some were recorded by my wife with video-cam from behind the line. Some have a lot of vocalization going on as the dog is coming to the line and preparing to run. Some comes from the judges talking to bird stations via radio and some from the judges talking to handlers in the last holding blind, and to late comers who want to view the test. While my dog was not distracted, I must confess that I was to some degree distracted.
It is unreasonable to expect that when you are called to the line, that until you call for birds that it remains somewhat quiet? When we are hunting it is frequently highly noisey, but that is hunting, not testing.

I expect my dog to remain quiet and steady. Why not everyone else? JD

#33 ·
Knocking on wood as I say this, but I am not sure my dog is truly aware that anything else is going on when we get to the line and he is picking out where the BIRDS are coming from. Sometimes he *forgets* that I am there!

#34 ·
I hear nothing when I'm at the line. I guess I just get in that mode where I'm concentrating too hard to pay attention to noise. My dogs don't seem to be bothered by any of it either. Their concern is what is about to happen in the field. I could see noise giving handlers problems when showing their dogs the guns however.

#36 ·
Two issues; 1) as a handler should you do your best to be prepared for noise and distractions, hope it's quiet but not let it rattle you or your dog if it isn't? Of course you should, but #2, judges should do their best to create a quiet space for dog and handler to work. As a judge I have hushed the gallery more than once. Most in the gallery will also be running and completely understand the need for quiet. There should be radio silence while a dog is running unless the dog disappears and judges are concerned for the dog's safety. It's just common sense, do the best you can but expect the dog and handler to deal with unforeseen distractions.

John

#38 ·
I've been on the line twice this year and asked if I could step away and wait for a distraction to pass. One was a competitor walking back to his car in a white coat and another was a car passing slowly in the background. In both cases, the judges said, "oh, absolutely, we didn't even notice that good catch"...

#39 ·
Four wheelers going by, people talking and laughing, pro trucks with barking dogs, flock of geese flying low within shooting distance are all reasons I have asked to step away from the line and have never been refused. I wonder how many do not realize they have options before the dog is released.

#40 ·
Up to the handler to suck it up and run the dog and not make excuses
This pretty much sums up my feelings on it. The universe is unfair. Deal with it. Nobody is trying to screw your dog.

#42 ·
This pretty much sums up my feelings on it. The universe is unfair. Deal with it. Nobody is trying to screw your dog.
I don't believe that was said or implied in the first post. All that was said was that watching the videos made me aware of the background noise that I don't hear at the line and doesn't bother the dog.
Just an observation not a complaint.

#43 ·
When I'm judging (I only judge NAHRA) you better be ready for some conversation. It's a hunt test, isn't it??? My scenario is centered around hunting, so in addition to asking the handler if s/he has any questions, I'll ask if you brought coffee, why you are late, etc., etc., etc. Keeps it light, relaxes some, and some don't even hear me. If I'm calling from the line to start the test, I like to be realistic here too... "Do you see the birds..... here they come!!!!"

Never had any complaints and have had lots of compliments that "THAT was a fun test!!!" Even from some that didn't Q.

#45 ·
When I'm judging (I only judge NAHRA) you better be ready for some conversation. It's a hunt test, isn't it??? My scenario is centered around hunting, so in addition to asking the handler if s/he has any questions, I'll ask if you brought coffee, why you are late, etc., etc., etc. Keeps it light, relaxes some, and some don't even hear me. If I'm calling from the line to start the test, I like to be realistic here too... "Do you see the birds..... here they come!!!!"

Never had any complaints and have had lots of compliments that "THAT was a fun test!!!" Even from some that didn't Q.

Then why do dogs get thrown out for eating the judges lunch?

#44 ·
The most distracting test ever. I ran a Finished test and a squadron of Blue Angels from the air show came over the lake at treetop level. Waited until they passed & called for the birds. Hell of a sight & not something to be forgotten. Dog front footed the marks & ran a nice 3 or 4 whistle blind.

The original poster didn't use it as an excuse because the dog was ready & focused. The gallery groaning joined the thread later.

#46 ·
Personally, I HATE chit chat as either a handler or judge. Not so much because of dog distraction but from a time management standpoint.

I once timed the average time wasted per dog by two particularly chatty Master judges who b.s.’ed with every handler both coming and going (and many were running multiple dogs), the marshal, the gallery, etc. and calculated they delayed the whole test almost 6.5 hours over the course of the weekend. We finished on a Sunday just after lunch, so they cost everyone there a night at the hotel.

#47 ·
Personally, I HATE chit chat as either a handler or judge. Not so much because of dog distraction but from a time management standpoint.

I once timed the average time wasted per dog by two particularly chatty Master judges who b.s.’ed with every handler both coming and going (and many were running multiple dogs), the marshal, the gallery, etc. and calculated they delayed the whole test almost 6.5 hours over the course of the weekend. We finished on a Sunday just after lunch, so they cost everyone there a night at the hotel.
confused a little, isn't the Master test supposed to be scheduled for two days in the rule book?

#48 ·
Judges, gallery, bird boys, gunners . . . . all can talk as much as they want when I'm at the line. Just don't expect an answer! :D I go into a cone of silence and am not even aware of sound or action outside of the test in front of me. I have been surprised by this at times, when the dog heard or saw something I didn't, but usually they are just as "in the moment" as I am.

#50 ·
I try to stay focused and not let the chatter bother me. I did have one notable negitive experience though. I ran Biscuit and HaM in an open several years ago. Both dogs to the fourth series which ment I went to the line eight times. ... each and every time the senior judge was on his cell phone! I've not forgotten that!!!

Bill

#51 ·
I try to stay focused and not let the chatter bother me. I did have one notable negitive experience though. I ran Biscuit and HaM in an open several years ago. Both dogs to the fourth series which ment I went to the line eight times. ... each and every time the senior judge was on his cell phone! I've not forgotten that!!!

Bill
Now, that is disrespectful...

#53 ·
lol.....at least they let you pick up the last mark before being told to honor on lead....hahahaaa

#57 ·
I have never recorded audio, & I'm probably focused too much, but I haven't "noticed" any excess noise. Judges I've had have been pretty good about reminding people about cell phones & gallery noise down. Sometimes I enjoy the judges who carry on a conversation with me. Like "what's he doing? He had to just step on it."

#62 ·
Believe me it was brought up and ignored. Most were calls received while I was running. Judge wss from out of town making arrangements for training after the trial. The funny thing was most people said" I didn't expect you to answer". Yet he continued to di so.
Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.