The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: conversation on the line?

If the judges place the gallery far enough from the line, conversations in the gallery shouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, I've run of lot of HRC tests where the gallery was way too close to the line or the holding blind. Even had holding blinds in the gallery. In my opinion, the placement of the gallery should be based on its distance from the line, not how well the gallery can see the test. If the gallery can't see all of the test, so be it.
    HRCH Royer's Mighty Riverman Murphy (Murphy)
    HRCH Dakota's Element of Surprise (Ellie)

Having fun is the purpose of this game for most! I can vouch that both Lonnie & Karen have a good time at a test. If you need total quiet please take up golf. As Mark mentioned the gunfire is quite distracting.

The original poster mentioned that his dog wasn't bothered by the commotion. This is the case with a dog truly ready for the level of testing. The almost ready dogs fail. Regardless of how distraction free the environment these dogs find a way to take themselves out. The handlers will find a way to blame it on something without looking in the mirror.

A typical gallery contains partially deaf, fun loving individuals that love retrievers and live to play these crazy games. They will brag about their dogs & relive the shining moments. Good luck keeping them quiet.
    Mark Land

Knocking on wood as I say this, but I am not sure my dog is truly aware that anything else is going on when we get to the line and he is picking out where the BIRDS are coming from. Sometimes he *forgets* that I am there!
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

I hear nothing when I'm at the line. I guess I just get in that mode where I'm concentrating too hard to pay attention to noise. My dogs don't seem to be bothered by any of it either. Their concern is what is about to happen in the field. I could see noise giving handlers problems when showing their dogs the guns however.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Is this when you earn the "free" jacket?
    This is it. If it happens I will be the guy that is soaked and my dog will be the big black/silver lab. I'm gonna paint "500" on both sides of him in metallic silver

Lonnie
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

Two issues; 1) as a handler should you do your best to be prepared for noise and distractions, hope it's quiet but not let it rattle you or your dog if it isn't? Of course you should, but #2, judges should do their best to create a quiet space for dog and handler to work. As a judge I have hushed the gallery more than once. Most in the gallery will also be running and completely understand the need for quiet. There should be radio silence while a dog is running unless the dog disappears and judges are concerned for the dog's safety. It's just common sense, do the best you can but expect the dog and handler to deal with unforeseen distractions.

John

It is your test until you release your dog.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

I've been on the line twice this year and asked if I could step away and wait for a distraction to pass. One was a competitor walking back to his car in a white coat and another was a car passing slowly in the background. In both cases, the judges said, "oh, absolutely, we didn't even notice that good catch"...

Four wheelers going by, people talking and laughing, pro trucks with barking dogs, flock of geese flying low within shooting distance are all reasons I have asked to step away from the line and have never been refused. I wonder how many do not realize they have options before the dog is released.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Up to the handler to suck it up and run the dog and not make excuses
    This pretty much sums up my feelings on it. The universe is unfair. Deal with it. Nobody is trying to screw your dog.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013