The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Congress

Default Congress

I have been thinking about the make up of congress. It was originally supposed to be 1 rep. for every 30,000 people. In 1929 congress capped themselves to 435 rep. That means there is now one rep for just over 700,000 people. Many states have more senators then representatives. This is perhaps why the actions of congress are not aligning with the will of the people. It would be a cataclysmic sea change to how things are now and obviously we would have to change how they meet and vote but what if we went back to one for every 30k in population. Rough math would make that in the 5000 representative ball park.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

we dont need more Representatives, we need the ones we have to do their job...besides why would you want a Rep for all the illegal immigrants, the felons, the people who just want to live off of the system,Its bad enough that such a low percentage of the population that are eligible to vote actually exercise that privilege

I would actually favor returning more power to the individual states...I dont want some US Senator in NY determining how things are in my chosen home state, nor should my US Senator be deciding what goes on in your chosen state...I also dont think that the residents/voting block of California,NY,and Florida and one other state should determine the Presidency (the Electoral college)

the country is more divided at this time than it probably was prior to the Civil War, its not only divided by political ideology,but by economic status too
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by Henlee View Post
    I have been thinking about the make up of congress. It was originally supposed to be 1 rep. for every 30,000 people. In 1929 congress capped themselves to 435 rep. That means there is now one rep for just over 700,000 people. Many states have more senators then representatives. This is perhaps why the actions of congress are not aligning with the will of the people. It would be a cataclysmic sea change to how things are now and obviously we would have to change how they meet and vote but what if we went back to one for every 30k in population. Rough math would make that in the 5000 representative ball park.
    I believe the actions of the House of Representative do reflect the will of the people at this time.

The Senate, SCOTUS and POTUS reflect something else entirely.

Road kill.....you "nailed" it again....I fully agree with your comment!

Maybe Roadkill, but that is only at this time, by your own words. I am willing to bet that you can think back to a time when you were not happy and did not feel represented. Congress has an approval rating that is hovering right about 5%. The only thing that we can agree on politically is that we are not happy. This would however be true local representation at the federal level.

The next biggest advantage that I can think of is that it would be next to impossible to keep third parties out of the system. Not just in the house, but it would give a platform for them to move up to even higher office. My hope is that it would make it harder to pass dumb laws with that many more people scrutinizing them. I was hoping also that the body would also be to big for special interests to affect them like they do now, that it would not be cost effective. Probably not, but I can dream.

Congress has to much power and the founders knew that. That is why they wanted it wielded by many hands. This will dilute the power of the individual representative, but not the will of the voters.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

I think the number of representatives elected should be based on a percentage of people in a state that actually vote. Not based on the population of the state. This would give motivation for those who believe their vote dosen't count. The higher the percentage of a states population that votes, the more representatives you elect.
    Mioaks Southbound Sammy JH
    Leatherwood's Here's Your One Chance Fancy

"Luck is the residue of design"- Branch Rickey

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Turner View Post
    I think the number of representatives elected should be based on a percentage of people in a state that actually vote. Not based on the population of the state. This would give motivation for those who believe their vote dosen't count. The higher the percentage of a states population that votes, the more representatives you elect.
    I believe uninformed people should stay home at not vote, and spending one dime on campaigns to get people out to vote is a waste of money.

Mark Levins book,, and Term Limits.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

I would agree with you gundog, but I also believe that a state like New York should not be able to dictate policy for the rest of the country just because they have more people living there. What percentage of those people are productive members of society? Also, BHO was probably elected because of the money spent on "get out and vote" campaign.
    Mioaks Southbound Sammy JH
    Leatherwood's Here's Your One Chance Fancy

"Luck is the residue of design"- Branch Rickey

I believe uninformed people should stay home at not vote, and spending one dime on campaigns to get people out to vote is a waste of money.

The best thing the uninformed can do in this country is not vote. I don't mind people who are just along for the ride, but don't grab the wheel. I however do not think that should be tied to representation.