The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Congress

I have a different view. With the technology today there is no excuse for the politicians to be out of touch with their constituents.

When the country was founded news traveled by word of mouth then came newspapers, the telegraph, trains, etc. How is it the politicians could keep the pulse of the people without having instantaneous feedback? They were part time and they served but a short period of time. They were not professional politicians. That is what we need. We need the representatives to be at home more listening to and walking about with the people they represent to know what is happening.
    What if all we have today is what we gave thanks for yesterday?

How could a politician even if he was home be in touch with over 700,000 people? I am not disagreeing with you at all though. I am just saying that the time they do spend in their home state along with the time that they have for their people along with the preparation they have to do to be informed for votes, along with raising money and running for reelection every other year. it is kind of crazy and perhaps why we are getting a poor product.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

Quote Originally Posted by Henlee View Post
    Many states have more senators then representatives.
    Each state has only two senators. Population used to determine the number of representatives.
    Kathleen

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you're not, in fact, just surrounded by a**holes" -William Gibson

I noticed, in some photos of the closed memorials that some of the signs (not all) added a line at the bottom that said, "except for 1st Amendment activities".

Now, there's an invitation for someone who might have something to say about the govt
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Henlee View Post
    How could a politician even if he was home be in touch with over 700,000 people? I am not disagreeing with you at all though. I am just saying that the time they do spend in their home state along with the time that they have for their people along with the preparation they have to do to be informed for votes, along with raising money and running for reelection every other year. it is kind of crazy and perhaps why we are getting a poor product.
    After emailing my Reps and Senators, I get the impression that they do not even read them. The most we can hope for is that their aides at least tell them how the trend of the emails are running.

When you send an email they give you a lot of choices of topics, and people who need help with some issue is one of the categories, so they can get those sorted out for whatever attention is needed. Your best hope is that someone has tallied your email/letter in the proper category. I suspect that unless they get TONS of mail on a topic, they don't give a hoot what their constituents think.

Then you get back some boiler-plate response on whatever his/her position is on the topic you wrote to them about.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Each state has only two senators. Population used to determine the number of representatives.

There are 7 states with only 1 representative and 5 more that have only 2. The constitution states that there is to be 1 representative for every 30,000 citizens. In 1929 the house capped the number of representatives to 435 and it is now divided by percentage of population. There are some states that have many more. I would have to look up the exact number again, but it works out to one representative for every 700,000+ citizens.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

I am pretty certain your right about the tallies. I even had a state rep. (aide) tell me that they were interested in a my issue, but were waiting for tallies before taking a position (banning animal gas chambers in Michigan). I think they care what I think, but I know that isn't necessarily going to sway them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    .................................................. .................................................. ........The most we can hope for is that their aides at least tell them how the trend of the emails are running.

.................................................. ...................
    .................................................. ..................................
    I sometimes get the feeling that the "aides" are running the "show" completely anymore.

Writing laws and everything else. I have the feeling that the aides may be telling their 'boss' a pack of lies about who wrote what to them. I would guess that letters are easier to throw away ( or hide ) than e-mails from the computers ......anyone ?
    Last edited by charly_t; 10-11-2013 at 10:48 PM.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

I remember stories of aides walking Robert bird into the senate and "helping" him vote. Think Weekend at Bernie's.