The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stunning!!!!

Default Stunning!!!!

Families Of Fallen Troops Denied Military Death Benefits Because Of Government Shutdown

Posted: 10/08/2013 3:17 pm EDT

Families of fallen troops are being denied military death benefits because of the government shutdown.

Over the weekend, the relatives of at least five U.S. military members received the heartbreaking news that their loved ones had died protecting their country while on duty in Afghanistan.

Within three days, the government was supposed to have fulfilled its promise to give $100,000 to these grieving families -- a "death gratuity" that is supposed to help cover funeral costs, as well as immediate living expenses until survivor benefits kick in. According to USA Today, the money is also supposed to cover family travel expenses so that they're able to meet their loved ones returning home for burial in flag-draped coffins at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware.

Unfortunately, the government has been unable to fulfill this promise because of the shutdown, leaving the families high and dry during this vulnerable time.

In a media release Tuesday, the Pentagon confirmed that it has suspended death benefits to families of fallen troops.

"The [Defense Department] does not currently have the authority to pay death gratuities for the survivors of service members killed in action," the release said, adding: “Secretary [of Defense Chuck] Hagel assured the service leaders that he would work closely with them to address these challenges, and support the service members and families impacted by these disruptions."

A Marine carry team carries the transfer case containing the remains of 19-year-old Marine Lance Cpl. Jeremiah M. Collins Jr. of Milwaukee, Wis., upon arrival at Dover Air Force Base, Del. on Oct. 7, 2013. Because of the shutdown, the family of Collins, who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan, did not receive the death benefits to which they are entitled, according to NBC News.

Many have expressed outrage at this latest shutdown-related blow.

“When the serviceman swears that oath that says ‘I will protect and defend,’ we make a promise back to that person that if they do die in service to this country that we will take care of their family,” Ami Neiberger-Miller of the Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors which advocates on behalf of military families, told news site Defense One.

Gayle Tzemach Lemmon, of the Council on Foreign Relations, said that military families are "shocked" at the recent turn of events.

"Washington may be shut down, but it's still asking people to go to war,” Lemmon told NBC News. “When people realize that they can serve and fight for their country, but that their families will get an I.O.U. until the shutdown is over, I think they're just shocked."

Pentagon officials say they hope to right this wrong as soon as possible. They have promised to reimburse the families once they have the means to do so.

"We are keeping a close eye on those survivors," said Navy Lt. Com. Nate Christensen, a Pentagon spokesman, according to USA Today. "We're ready to pay out as soon as the money comes through. We care a great deal about them."

What a small, petty stunt!
    Anyone know the political affiliations of the brave soldiers that gave their life while serving America?

I sent a small amount to;

http://fisherhouse.org/

Please help!

The "Commander in Chief" has turned his back on his troops!

DUTY, HONOR COUNTRY!!!

stan b
    Last edited by road kill; 10-09-2013 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    What a small, petty stunt!

I sent a small amount to;

http://fisherhouse.org/

Please help!

The "Commander in Chief" has turned his back on his troops!

stan b

He's done it before... Remember Benghazi?
    Bill Davis

One thing about Obama and the Democrats they are consistently doing anything they can to hurt the Men and Women who serve our country.

Senate chaplain chides body over veteran benefits
    By Tom Howell Jr. - The Washington Times
    October 9, 2013, 10:36AM
    Typically a nonpartisan piece of tradition, his recent prayers have chided senators for failing to find a way out of the spending stalemate that led to a government shutdown.

Mr. Black, a retired Navy rear admiral, took his daily message into solemn territory on Wednesday by highlighting the lack of death benefits to the families of fallen U.S. soldiers, halted by the Veterans Administration because of the shutdown.

“When our federal shutdown delays payments of death benefits to the families of children dying on faraway battlefields, it’s time for our lawmakers to say, ‘Enough is enough,’” he prayed. “Cover our shame with the robe of your righteousness. Forgive us, reform us and make us whole.”

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...#ixzz2hFkG6QoZ

It is a travesty and doesn't need to happen. If my kids behaved the way these so called leaders of our country do, there would be a date with a switch.
    What if all we have today is what we gave thanks for yesterday?

Quote Originally Posted by GaryJ View Post
    It is a travesty and doesn't need to happen. If my kids behaved the way these so called leaders of our country do, there would be a date with a switch.
    Clap, clap, clap !!!!!! Fantastic post, VBG.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

Not a group of people that I would choose to screw with like this , they could quite possibly screw back, many are highly trained to do so and are more than willing to make the sacrifice that it would take if they became so inclined.

Heard on the radio that the Pentagon, with the help of a "private foundation", will be making the payments during the shut-down. Congress was saying that those payments should have been included in the military funding that WAS passed by both houses, but it was the Pentagon that said the payments were not covered.

All the scenarios with vets is likely to backfire, I think.
    http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/..._veterans.html
    This article on American Thinker mentioned the lead-up to the barricading of the WWII memorial. The first Honor Flight was from MS, so knowing about the request MS Congressman Palazzo tried to reason with administration to let the vets in, explaining that the cost of their visit was non-refundable, and due to the age & health of the vets it might be their last opportunity to see the monument. They were even told that arrests would be made if they entered the area. It was after the reasoning approach failed that he decided he would go to the memorial to let the vets in.

The following day the Honor Flight group scheduled was from Chicago, and when told about the events of the first day:
    Mary Pettinato, Honor Flight Chicago CEO, told American Thinker the group wanted to go, insisting, "We stormed the beaches of Normandy and saw our buddies blown away. We are not going to be bothered by barricades. Bring it on."
    Now there is some talk of a Million Vet March on the Memorials that would take place on Oct. 13.

As a result of Viet Nam and the way those vets were treated, I think a lot of people have come to realize that those who do the fighting are not to blame for the wars they are sent to fight. The wars are started by guys in suits, not uniforms. And the guys in the suits never have to put themselves in harm's way. I think that there has been an overall change in the country's respect for vets of all the wars. Disrespecting the vets could turn out to be the biggest act of stupidity (not to mention dishonor) that a CIC could condone. In fact, if the CIC respected the military and the vets, he'd probably have given a direct order to remove the barricades on all the war memorials while they were still putting them up. Instead of having lunch with furloughed Fed employees, he could have been there with the vets letting them into the memorial.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

These are sad and unfortunate things, but don't many of you support the shutdown? What the heck do you think shutdown means? I don't support any of it and I think it is bullshit, but I have had the opinion from day one. Did you think life was just going to roll on like nothing happened? If you think those benefits were covered why don't you go to Thomas.gov and pull up the bill and take a look, I am willing to bet it didn't make it into the bill. Don't for a second think that military brass would hang there own out for this bullcrap.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

I support the shutdown, BUT the powers that be get to decide what services get cut and what services get politicized in the media in order to bludgeon the opposition with it...

There are a bunch of fat cats at the PENTAGON that are collecting a paycheck, everyone on the Joint Chiefs of Staff should have their butts kicked for not meeting those planes with the fallen servicemen when they arrived home, I am certain a few defense contractors still got paid...

What would happen if there were another hurricane or similar catastrophe, would the National Guard still be deployed to provide aid or security

If this were A TRUE Govt shutdown then 535 employees in Congress should be filing for unemployment, because they are stealing from you and I by collecting a paycheck
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"