The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stunning!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Henlee View Post
    http://www.defense.gov/Transcripts/T...nscriptID=5308

This is a transcript of a news conference before the shutdown explaining the DoD plans for the shutdown, what they could and couldn't do and why. It warns of the military inability to pay death benefits along with many other things. It basically cuts the crap and gets to what really happened. Which is to say House republicans knew that if they forced the government shutdown the military would not be able to pay death benefits during the lapse and it was only after the backlash they received did they scramble to pass a law that the president signed the same day it hit his desk. So I call B.S. on anyone trying to pin it on anyone but congress.
    It should have been addressed immediately by the Commander in Chief & Secretary of Defense!
    He could have issued an executive order as soon as he read about it in the paper!
    Chuck Hagel is PATHETIC!!!!!

Where is the leadership?????
    Last edited by road kill; 10-11-2013 at 06:30 AM.

There is no leadership hence the issues.
    Hebrews 11:3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

What if all we have today is what we gave thanks for yesterday?

Let the views of others educate and inform you, but let your decisions be a product of your own conclusions. (Jim Rohn)

It should have been addressed immediately by the Commander in Chief & Secretary of Defense!
    He could have issued an executive order as soon as he read about it in the paper!

That is all done by act of congress. It is not just having the money, but what it can be spent on is determined by congress.

In the case of a lapse of appropriations, law governs, not policy. Specifically the law says that in the event of a lapse of appropriations, DOD can only conduct activities designed to protect safety of life and property and carry out a few other activities.

I just want to remind everyone that this is Ted Cruz and John Boehner's baby. That if you are looking for failure in leadership for this shut down has been carried out it falls on their doorsteps.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

That is all done by act of congress. It is not just having the money, but what it can be spent on is determined by congress.

In the case of a lapse of appropriations, law governs, not policy. Specifically the law says that in the event of a lapse of appropriations, DOD can only conduct activities designed to protect safety of life and property and carry out a few other activities.

I just want to remind everyone that this is Ted Cruz and John Boehner's baby. That if you are looking for failure in leadership for this shut down has been carried out it falls on their doorsteps.
    Both of your statements are incorrect.

Just tryin' to help.............

I can only lead the horse to water I guess. Please prove me wrong.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

Henlee, I'm not sure that one can unilaterally blame the House for proposing that all of govt be funded except O-care. Presenting funding proposals is their constitutional responsibility. Then the Senate approves or disapproves. The Senate disapproved.

The House then presented other solutions. The Senate didn't like most of those ... some not voted on.

Record speaks for the two opposing views: One says let's talk. The other says, we'll talk after you surrender.

I don't think there is any way to blame this on one side or the other. The proposal of one side began the dispute, but the other side has continued the gridlock.

Some commentators have pointed to the last shutdown when the Speaker and POTUS spoke to each other most days trying to find a solution. I don't recall the last shutdown, but was there all this name-calling that time?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

This is about the smaller argument over death benefits. The pentagon warned congress that it would not be able to pay them in the course of a shutdown by law. That in knowing that it was the intent of congress to deny those benefits until the end of the shutdown. I am going further to say that in result of the backlash and outrage over denying the benefits that congress passed a law yesterday that restored them, that the president immediately signed into law. I also noted that the law was the result of the denial of benefits and not a policy decision. There was another funding law that passed that allowed the pentagon to return many of its civilian workers, but didn't include these death benefits. I would have to look to how many days ago that happened, but it was specifically left out. As all appropriations bills they had to originate in the house. Some people seem to think the president can proclaim everything essential services and restore funding on his own, but that is not the case.

Your answers to posts make one wish for Yardley to return .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!