The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Training while bitch is in heat

Default Training while bitch is in heat

Okay so the question is is it wise to train while your dog is in it if it's on private land and no other dogs are around. I thought I read where it can make them a little more crazy than they already are.

I've trained mine thru three cycles. Didn't notice any difference.
    If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Private land...are you on a secluded island? In the past whenever I had a bitch in heat I would see dogs in my yard that I had never seen before and I have always lived on private land.

Unless you train in the middle of a very large acreage I would be careful or you might end up with an unwanted pregnancy.

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

Watch her attitude while training.

Trained our two girls while in heat many times. One acted normal, the other a little nutty. We trained alone on our property where the only thing I would worry about was a coyote. We made sure never to train without their e-collar during that time just in case some dog showed up and they were tempted by it - but that never happened. If you are not lucky enough to have land isolated from people (dog owners), then keep her very close.

I train with an e collar. She is not outside with out me or my wife watching her even when she is not on her cycle. I meant no other lab trainers around to screw up a male dog trying to be trainer

We train all the time in a group with male dogs when my girl is in heat. Great way to teach those boys to pay attention in training. We just make sure that we do not take her out of the truck when another male is out. Do you really think a pro will seperate the female in heat when training. She is on the truck with all the others and gets her time out just like they do.

I've got one that you cant tell any difference when she's in vs not, the other seems to lose focus a lot and is just not very sharp. Usually only lasts for a few days, we back way off, do some easy marks and a little ob work.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Klotthor View Post
    We train all the time in a group with male dogs when my girl is in heat. Great way to teach those boys to pay attention in training. We just make sure that we do not take her out of the truck when another male is out. Do you really think a pro will seperate the female in heat when training. She is on the truck with all the others and gets her time out just like they do.
    ditto, have never understood all the fuss about bitches in heat at a test or trial. Have asked others if they think Farmer,Rorem,Lardy quit training them for a month while they are in season so the others won't have problems? Biggest excuse in the book why a dog didn't do what they should have, IMO.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Klotthor View Post
    Exactly! In our groups we would make sure to bring the females out to train when they were in heat. Great training for the boys. At almost every test you hear people complaining about the males that won't get their noses off the ground becuase someone ahead of them ran a female in heat (hopefully unintentionally).
    Chuck
    HRCH Porjay's She's No Debutante MH "Dixie"
    Wagzu's Mighty Miss. "River"
    SHR Wagner's Courtin the Ducks "Beau"
    Rainbow Bridge - (Meat Dog Extraordinaire) Shoeless Joe Jackson II "Jax"
    www.wagzuretrievers.com
    www.facebook.com/wagzuretrievers