The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Training while bitch is in heat

Depends on the dog. Our dachshund went absolutely retarded whenever she was in heat and doing much of anything other than feeding her was painful. Some dogs don't change much though. If she responds well and you're not near other dogs I certainly wouldn't be holding off on training.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wagner View Post
    At almost every test you hear people complaining about the males that won't get their noses off the ground becuase someone ahead of them ran a female in heat (hopefully unintentionally).
    That is because at almost every test unless you are the first dog someone ahead of you probably did run a bitch in heat

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    That is because at almost every test unless you are the first dog someone ahead of you probably did run a bitch in heat
    I know it happens..I was trying to give folks the benefit of the doubt that it is done unintentionally. But because it does happen is why we take the opportunity to train for it when you've got ol' sparky wrapped around their neck to remind fido that he still needs to do his job.
    Chuck
    HRCH Porjay's She's No Debutante "Dixie"
    Wagzu's Mighty Miss. "River"
    SHR Wagner's Courtin the Ducks "Beau"
    Rainbow Bridge - (Meat Dog Extraordinaire) Shoeless Joe Jackson II "Jax"
    www.wagzuretrievers.com
    www.facebook.com/wagzuretrievers

At a trial or hunt test a bitch is either coming in or going out of season. If they pass the tissue test with no bleeding then they are able to run. They can be swollen and still run. Since I own and train about 90% bitches I have always been the object of accusation . I have scratched a bitch going to the line that I noticed was in season. I train with mostly male dogs and their owners. Several have been bred numerous times.
    I have been called as running one in season more then once. Checked on several occasions by the committee . All passed the tissue test. Finally got irate and told the committee to bring a Vet on the premise the next time they wanted to do a bitch check. One of my training partners has my bitch that is in season sit on a carpet and he takes the carpet home to train on and run his dog off of it. It's kinda like this sun in your dog's eyes, bird off a few feet from everyone other's fall, train coming through, car horn, airplane, gunner not sitting straight, Blackbird sings dog pops thinking it is a whistle, rabbit runs through test, water too cold, water too hot, fog, late in the day, etc etc etc. It's the luck of the draw run your damn dog!
    Earl Dillow

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Klotthor View Post
    We train all the time in a group with male dogs when my girl is in heat. Great way to teach those boys to pay attention in training. We just make sure that we do not take her out of the truck when another male is out. Do you really think a pro will seperate the female in heat when training. She is on the truck with all the others and gets her time out just like they do.
    Not the case when I threw birds for Don Remien in the desert this spring...he had a couple of bitches in heat on a separate truck, they were aired by his assistants in a different area,they worked last, he informed the other pros, like Patty K that he had hot dogs on his truck, and did not work those dogs on the trial grounds at all...Don wasnt going to risk either his reputation nor the dogs on his truck...FWIW he won the Open that weekend
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Not the case when I threw birds for Don Remien in the desert this spring...he had a couple of bitches in heat on a separate truck, they were aired by his assistants in a different area,they worked last, he informed the other pros, like Patty K that he had hot dogs on his truck, and did not work those dogs on the trial grounds at all...Don wasnt going to risk either his reputation nor the dogs on his truck...FWIW he won the Open that weekend
    That is truly commendable. I don't know any trainers in my area that even own 2 trucks. If my girls must sit in the kennels for heat cycles then I would expect a boarding only discount for that time period. My training group does exactly like Karen's. Dogs in heat run first with no males out.

I have scratched day of, run last when dog was clean but "smelled right" and always wipe before going to the line that day. Still have been accused of running in heat. One dog pops his teeth together & watch the gallery start talking.
    Mark Land

Quote Originally Posted by fishduck View Post
    That is truly commendable. I don't know any trainers in my area that even own 2 trucks. If my girls must sit in the kennels for heat cycles then I would expect a boarding only discount for that time period. My training group does exactly like Karen's. Dogs in heat run first with no males out.

I have scratched day of, run last when dog was clean but "smelled right" and always wipe before going to the line that day. Still have been accused of running in heat. One dog pops his teeth together & watch the gallery start talking.
    we have been there too....have a 8 yr old SPAYED female that someone wanted checked this summer at a trial,seriously, swipe away to you hearts content, pay the fee and make your complaint...of course they chickened out
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by fishduck View Post
    One dog pops his teeth together & watch the gallery start talking.
    I have one of those teeth chattering pervs. If there is a bitch that has ever even heard the word 'heat' he will take a great interest in the holding blinds. It is when he gets to the line and is too interested to watch the birds go down, that I know someone is in season, but otherwise he is good once he gets to the mat

It is one of those things that is going to affect you almost every time--luck of the draw as Earl said. It is good if you can train with some, for sure.

I have been accused of running a dog in heat, because some "legend in their own mind trainer" had a male blow up at a test right behind me. Of course, it HAD to have been my dog, because she was the only bitch that ran before HIS dog, and HIS dog NEVER acts like that. EVER. I pulled out my cell phone, called my vet, put it on speaker and asked the Doc how many years ago it was that he spayed her? So much for that excuse. It would have been amusing had the whole episode not have been so freaking pathetic.
    Wm. Mark Edwards
    Pascagoula, MS

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH
    SHR Tipsy

The same thing happened to my training partner at a trial I was at. The old legend and his wife were the same way as your. "Legend in his own mind trainer." Both were adamant that my training partner's bitch was in heat. Both his bitches had been spayed several years before. Some people are always looking for excuses for poor performances by their dogs.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013