RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Said goodby to Yoda yesterday... Topbrass New Millennium*** 8/16/98 - 10/8/13

13K views 89 replies 85 participants last post by  J. Walker 
#1 ·
I'm posting some pics of the best hunting dog I ever saw, will add some writing when my eyes clear later.

A younger John and Yoda around 2004...

Yoda in his "office" ready for work...

Test driving my new boat Fall 2009...

He's still got it at age eleven...

Yoda's last hunt two years ago...

See less See more
#30 ·
So sorry John....

#36 ·
Man John, I'm so sorry! We don't get to keep them long enough. It is readily apparent how much you care for your dogs. You were lucky to have each other.

#37 ·
John and Cheryl I am so very sorry for your loss. I remember Yoda well such a wonderful Golden. The pictures are wonderful but made me cry. for your loss.

#38 ·
Heaven got another special one, that is for sure. When they get to be 15, it's like you've always had them, and always will.... except now you will hold him dearly in your heart. My condolences on the loss of Yoda. What a grand boy he is.

#39 ·
Yoda was my second field trial dog, four years behind Cody the dog in my avatar. He was never a big dog, hanging within a pound or two of 63 lbs right up to the end of his life, but he was full of heart and showed remarkable marking skills right from early puppyhood. Yoda was a pretty good derby dog but was a bit unlucky to come up in a derby class that included Carbon, Auggie and Rugby. Yoda was lucky to get four derby fourths and numerous Jams behind those great marking dogs. He progressed rapidly through the Qual getting a back to back first and second when he was less than three.

Yoda was advancing in his all age training when disaster struck around his fourth birthday, he injured his back and underwent surgery to fuse his spine at WSU in Pullman. The doctor thought his prognosis for running full speed was good, then the other shoe dropped our first day back from training the next Spring, he hit something sharp and severed his Achilles tendon, another surgery and more rehab, but unbelievably later that summer he won a big Open the day before he turned five at Roberts ID. It was particularly satisfying as he beat Carbon and other big hitters on a very hard Open head to head. Unfortunately due to the injuries he altered his gait and as he was a very hard charger, he wore out prematurely. We was as savvy as any good all age dog, but at age eight he was running out of gas in the fourth series and had to be retired. Who would of guessed he would bless us with five more years of companionship. Rich Larsen who has trained and judged a lot of dogs says Yoda is the best marker he ever saw.

I've mentioned this before, but I have had the same hunting buddy, best friend for over twenty years. Over the years Neil carves the decoys and I supply the dogs. We both helped each other build specialized duck hunting boats. The last three years of Yoda's hunting career we happened to keep a journal of every hunting trip, good or bad. Every location, how we set up, weather, wind, type of ducks and how they were flying, what we shot, cripples, ducks retrieved, name of hunters and dog. Over that three year period we shot 268 ducks and geese, not a lot compared to some outfitter dogs, but respectable for two old guys who don't care much about limits anymore. Anyway during any given season, most ducks fall dead or dying near the boat, but believe it or not we occasionally only cripple a duck which sails far back into thick cattails or worse yet, floating driftwood. Over that journal period Yoda never missed a bird. His record was 268/0! To this day Neil, who used to be a hunting guide, says Yoda is the best hunting dog he ever had the pleasure of shooting over.

Obviously there was much more to Yoda than field trial and hunting expertise, Yoda was special to Cheryl and I for fifteen years of our 22 year marriage. There is just too much to say about Yoda except that yesterday he woke up in his fluffy bed right next to mine and today he didn't.

John

#43 ·
John, my heart truly breaks for you and Mrs. Cheryl. I know a piece of your soul is gone. But what a blessed, blessed boy Yoda was to have you and the life you provided. Not to mention all your love.
Please know you are in my prayers.
God Bless You,
Becky

#46 ·
I'm sorry John. It's tough when the old ones pass. They mean so much to us.

#49 ·
John -

It's hard to think of words to say. Don't know you or Yoda but I felt him come to life in your tribute and that's a joy.

#52 ·
A wonderful tribute to a very special dog. What a grand life he had with you, I know he will be missed. I am sorry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.