The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: News release from A.K.C. regarding competition dogs entering Canada

Default News release from A.K.C. regarding competition dogs entering Canada

Wednesday,October 9, 2013
    http://www.akc.org/press_center/article.cfm?article_id=5148
    The CanadianFood Inspection Agency (CFIA), which oversees animal imports into Canada,has clarified its regulations regarding the importation of “commercial” dogs,which includes dogs for shows and exhibitions as well as breeding dogs.
    FORDOGS UNDER EIGHT MONTHS OF AGE ENTERING CANADA FROM THE UNITED STATES—Dog owners andexhibitors with dogs under eight months of age are now required to present proofof their entry in a dog show, trial, or other competitive event whencrossing the American-Canadian border. This is in addition to thealready-existing requirements of:

• A rabies certification (does not apply to animals three months old or younger)
    • a veterinary certificate of health whether or not they are accompanied by their owner
    • a microchip

Individualswithout proof of entry in a show, trial, or other event are instead required tocontact the CFIA AnimalHealth Area Office for the province they intend to enter at least 30 daysbefore the dog is imported to apply for the permit and allow sufficient timefor processing prior to entry into Canada.
    FORDOGS OVER EIGHT MONTHS OF AGE ENTERING CANADA FROM THE UNITED STATES— Dog owners andexhibitors with dogs over eight months of age are required to present a validrabies vaccination certificate issued by a licensed veterinarian. (Dogs imported for research purposes must meet more stringentrequirements.)
    Individualsinterested in taking dogs into Canada for show, trial, or other event purposesare encouraged to refer to the CFIA’s Automated Import Reference System (AIRS)at http://inspection.gc.ca/animals/terrestrial-animals/imports/airs/eng/1300127512994/1326599273148. The system provides detailed requirements personalized for each user
    For moreinformation, contact AKC’s Government Relations Department at (919) 816-3720,or email doglaw@akc.org.

Quote Originally Posted by william halfrich View Post
    Individualsinterested in taking dogs into Canada for show, trial, or other event purposesare encouraged to refer to the CFIA’s Automated Import Reference System (AIRS)at http://inspection.gc.ca/animals/terrestrial-animals/imports/airs/eng/1300127512994/1326599273148. The system provides detailed requirements personalized for each user
    I tried it out. End result says all you need is a valid rabies certificate from a licensed vet.

This is the same as what I needed earlier this summer, so it seems like there is no change to the requirements.
    Tom Rogers; Owned and Handled by Al Capone's Magic Patriot Son - Riot
    [FC/AFC Big Alfonse Capone of Mo-Kan x Dominators Magic Avalon]

R.I.P. Grandpaws FC AFC HRCH Taylorlab Downtown "Dusty" Brown MH & FC CFC CAFC Taylorlabs "Magic" Trick MH CD
    Riot's Career
    on EE

From the "Shipping a Puppy to Canada" thread -

Just got an e-mail from someone who contacted the office of the Chief Veterinary Officer for Canada this morning. The person they spoke to stated that "the website at present is INCORRECT! They are aware of this and are awaiting for corrections to be made.

Although this does not answer all of the questions many of us have, the short version of the conversation was -

"They do regard dogs coming in for shows to be "commercial" as the website indicates. But these dogs do NOT require a permit. If the dog is over the age of 8 months, they must be "apparently healthy" (this phrase was used several times), and have a current rabies certificate.

If the dog is over 3 months but under 8 months, and coming in for a show, they must have a valid rabies certificate, look healthy, and the entry form for the show you are attending. Dogs that are traveling into Canada temporarily for reasons other than show must appear healthy and have a valid rabies certificate. He did caution that airlines might have different rules if you were shipping.

He also directed me to a portion of their website for the Automated Import Reference System (AIRS) and stated that the information there was correct.
    That can be found at http://inspection.gc.ca/plants/impor.../1300127627409 "

Will update with any additional information we hear of up here.
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-II Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
    Drake's Bay Super Duty (2004 - 2013)

I'm thinking this press release applies specifically to address importing of young dogs. They want to know who is buying pups and probably pay some sort of import fee because the 30 day application only applies to those bringing IN pups under 8 months who ARE NOT entered in some event. That's the way I'm reading this although, I'm probably wrong as usual.

Here is the continuing thread on Canadian Hunting Dog Forum with regards to these new regulations -

http://www.canadianhuntingdogs.com/f...ing-the-border
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-II Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
    Drake's Bay Super Duty (2004 - 2013)

As I chimed in on CHD forum I have always known you had to carry ownership papers. Having said that I have only been asked one time for the papers and the health clearance. I cross many times a week.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    Pink Lady

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

It is only the Rabies Vaccination certificate that is mandatory right now, as always. CKC/AKC registration certificates are not demanded or neccessary, but if you have them, it is a good idea to carry them. More dogs cross the border that are not CKC/AKC registered, than dogs who are.
    NAFTCH FTCH AFTCH Mjolnir Bluebill Of Allanport
    Flatlands Bayduck of Allanport
    Dakota Creek Teal of Allanport

I do 3 Year Rabies Vaccinations but have a 1 Year Cert from vet when crossing into the Great White North.
    Never say you're going to a field trial.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

I've never been asked about my dogs. Though I once had a very thorough inspection of my truck equipment box and especially the blank pistols. (The shotgun was left at the border until our return.)