The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Using two trainers.

Default Using two trainers.

My job requires to work 12 hr shifts, therefore the days that I am working it will be hard for me to get the days training in. My question is, will it hurt to have my wife do some of the training on days that i work? Thinking of using smartworks but not positive yet my pup is 7wks (just got him) I am going to use hillmans puppy first. Any suggestions would be appreciated
    Thanks
    Bob

I see nothing wrong with it, I'd actually encourage it.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Seminole Ben SH WCX
    NMH 3GMH HRCH Heads Up Lightning Strikes WCX

Depends on how your wife feels about it. If the two of you have the same passion and are willing to uphold the EXACT SAME standards, it might just work. It does not for my husband and I. He will be satisfied with so-so effort from the dog because he gets bored. So to prevent divorce, I'm the only one that handles my dogs. He occasionally works with his dog, but mostly they just like to go hiking, hunting and ride in the truck together.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Not sure about 2 trainers, but I used Hillman's puppy DVD and it worked well - I then advanced to his next one on Retriever Basics - Concentrate on the obedience and steayness, believe me it's important

My wife and trade off training the dogs. When they are in Montana she does almost of the training because she is there with them all summer and I have to work.

When they are in San Diego, i usually work them on the weekends and some drills during the week. She trains with a group twice during the week in SoCal and 5 days average with a group when they are in MT. It is working out well.

Quote Originally Posted by gutshot217 View Post
    My job requires to work 12 hr shifts, therefore the days that I am working it will be hard for me to get the days training in. My question is, will it hurt to have my wife do some of the training on days that i work? Thinking of using smartworks but not positive yet my pup is 7wks (just got him) I am going to use hillmans puppy first. Any suggestions would be appreciated
    Thanks
    Bob
    At the very least you should encourage your wife to ob with the pup. The pup needs to learn to respect both of you.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

It depends on what your expectations are, and how good of a marriage you have, lol!

My husband and I both train our Chessie. We have to have alot of communication, use the same commands, and be willing to take correction from each other when we see each other screwing up. It's like parenting...you need to be on the same page ALL the time, or the kids know and pit you against one another.

That being said, our Chessie performs some things better and quicker for me and others better for my husband. We haven't found that to be a problem though, because we're equally committed to training and are on the same page. Now if either of us were sloppy about it, it might get annoying.