The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: SUDDENLY 6 month old BLM resource guarding...

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    That can be very true but there is definitely a precedent and a very good reason to also practice the counter conditioning processes that were pointed out before. I would rather not have the dog nervous when I go to take something from him, especially when he needs to go get the next mark right away.

I really would be working on both things, counter conditioning using a positive method but be prepared with the proper tools in place in case something goes wrong. That and boot camp ought to solve it for 99% of the dogs I have personally seen (a couple of dozen so far which isn't really a ton, but more than most people).
    It worked real well on my pit, there's something about you looking at them eye to eye and I'm still standing. Although not all people have that ability to do it. Some have to send dog off to bootcamp to fix the issues.
    The foundation to a great retriever is obedience.
    Firestorms Full Throttle Chevy aka Callie-Roo 7/5/2007 - 10/25/2013 I miss you every day
    Proud owner of Kona's Surfer Girl, aka Loki.

I think you may be misunderstanding what I mean when I am talking about the toys. Try reading this article : http://leerburg.com/aggresiv.htm It explains the toy situation very well when it comes to a dominant or aggressive dog.

ChessieMom, Sixpack, and Pat...Thanks for the links - Good information!
    Becky
    Life is Good . . . Do what you like - Like what you do.

What is the point in trying to put an advanced title on a gundog that has already proven itself mentally unstable? Is it so you can breed it later to "improve the breed?" Spay or neuter at least and train it as a hobby.

UPDATE: From all of your comments, I was ready for Henry if he decided to growl at me again. When he did, I picked him by the lead and shook some sense into him (along with yelling a few choice words). I then held him on the ground until he submitted. Not once during our "meeting", did he snarl, growl, or bite at me. I think I've made progress. I have since denied him free access to toys. The next day, I started working on force-fetch and he is coming along nicely.
    Becky
    Life is Good . . . Do what you like - Like what you do.

That a girl.............

Quote Originally Posted by Labs R Us View Post
    UPDATE: From all of your comments, I was ready for Henry if he decided to growl at me again. When he did, I picked him by the lead and shook some sense into him (along with yelling a few choice words). I then held him on the ground until he submitted. Not once during our "meeting", did he snarl, growl, or bite at me. I think I've made progress. I have since denied him free access to toys. The next day, I started working on force-fetch and he is coming along nicely.
    Good for you!!

I would rather have a dominant one than one that rolls over and pees on it self.

Keith