The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TPLO Surgery- Torn ACL Questions

Default TPLO Surgery- Torn ACL Questions

Hey Guys,

Bad news, Old Buck "potentially" blew his ACL this past weekend. Doing nothing! He was out in the woods taking his morning, well you get it, and he came up limping on his back left leg. Took him to the Vet Monday night and she agreed with my suspicion- torn ACL. Tuesday she Xrayed him- lots of swelling, but wasn't able to manipulate the knee like she should. She is still 90% sure its a partial tear or fully torn.

We have a November 6th appointment with Cornell- top Vet school and facility in NY- to determine what's next. They perform these TPLO surgeries often and have great success. If it is torn, I have confidence they'll bring him back to his old self.

Have any of you seen results on these surgeries? What's the recovery time look like, what's the dog's life look like after- able to hunt, test, train like normal? My understanding is the other knee has a 50%+ chance of blowing too- Any suggestions on minimizing that?

Thanks for your help, guidance, experience etc. Take care!

Bob Owens
    Bob Owens
    President- Lone Duck Outfitters
    "Sharing Your Passion For The Unspoken Bond"
    www.loneduckoutfitters.com

My 4 yr old has had both ACL's repaired (TPLO and 1 yr apart) and 1 meniscus. He is totally fine now but rehab sucked. Had to heat, ice, and stretch 3 times a day while restricting his movement. Basically let him out to do his business and then return to crate for 6-8 weeks. They recommend swimming after 3-4 weeks to start strengthening the muscles. He hunts, runs HRC, and plays with the kid, just a little slower than before. Also, watch his feed intake because his activity will be very limited for the rehab portion. They also said no stairs so I had to build him a ramp up to the front door and we use a ladder to get in and out of the truck.

Good Luck
    Wyatt

Thanks Wyatt, I appreciate the advice
    Bob Owens
    President- Lone Duck Outfitters
    "Sharing Your Passion For The Unspoken Bond"
    www.loneduckoutfitters.com

I don't agree with tplo surgery. My lab blew her acl at 10 years of age took her to Mississippi state vet school the offered to do the surgery but said it would be an 90 percent chance she would blow her other one. So I took her to my regular vet. He did the old type with the fishing line surgery and pulled the facia(spelling. White stuff around muscles) tight around it. She hunted 3 more years with out any problem.

In my experience the TPLO is great. My dog bounced back just fine and trains as hard as ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
    I don't agree with tplo surgery. My lab blew her acl at 10 years of age took her to Mississippi state vet school the offered to do the surgery but said it would be an 90 percent chance she would blow her other one. So I took her to my regular vet. He did the old type with the fishing line surgery and pulled the facia(spelling. White stuff around muscles) tight around it. She hunted 3 more years with out any problem.
    You have to look at the age and activity level of the dog. This approach does not work for most hunt test labs or field trial labs who are actively running. I have one that has it TPLO. FC AFC Weezer ran on two tight ropes.

TPLO is the gold standard. TTA is also a good approach. So is tightrope. I personally would hesitate doing the procedure that you had done on a large dog. I'm glad it worked for you.

Cornell is the way to go.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Here's an abstract comparing the three different types of surgical CCL repair:

Veterinary surgery : VS : the official journal of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons
    Journal site on the Web
    Wiley-Blackwell (Published since 1978)
    pISSN: 0161-3499; Bimonthly
    Volume 42 | Issue 3 (April 2013)

Comparison of long-term outcomes associated with three surgical techniques for treatment of cranial cruciate ligament disease in dogs.
    Vet Surg. April 2013;42(3):329-34.
    Scott A Christopher1; Jodi Beetem; James L Cook
    1Veterinary Orthopedic & Sports Medicine Group, Annapolis Junction, Maryland.
    Copyright 2013 by The American College of Veterinary Surgeons.
    Article Abstract

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate long-term (>1 year) outcomes with respect to function and complications in dogs undergoing TightRope (TR), tibial plateau leveling osteotomy (TPLO), or tibial tuberosity advancement (TTA) for treatment of cranial cruciate ligament (CCL) disease. STUDY DESIGN: Retrospective clinical cohort study. METHODS: Medical records from 2006 to 2009 were searched and cases included when all data were available and clients returned a completed questionnaire based on their assessment of their dog at least 1 year after surgery. Outcomes associated with TPLO, TTA, and TR were determined and compared based on medical records and questionnaires data regarding return to function, presence and degree of pain, and complications. RESULTS: Case meeting inclusion criteria were: TPLO (n = 65), TR (n = 79), and TTA (n = 18). TTA was associated with significantly (P < .03) higher rates of major complications and subsequent meniscal tears than TPLO and TR, and TPLO had significantly higher rates of major complications and meniscal tears than TR. Percent of function >1 year after surgery was 93.1% + 10.0% for TPLO, 92.7% + 19.3% for TR, and 89.2% + 11.6% for TTA. Significantly (P = 0.016) more TPLO and TR cases were classified as reaching full function than TTA. The highest levels, frequency, and severity of pain were noted in TTA cases, however, no significant differences were noted among groups. CONCLUSION: Long-term outcomes for TPLO and TR were superior to TTA based on subjective client and DVM assessments. Each technique was associated with a high long-term success rate with TR showing the highest safety-to-efficacy ratio.
    Kathleen

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you're not, in fact, just surrounded by a**holes" -William Gibson

There is a 4th option depending on your dog's age.
    My FT dog blew first crucia at 9yrs, had TR done and rehabbed. He blew the other leg late in his 10 th year. My vet recommended no surgery due to his age and sent me to 'Pawsability' in Toronto. The young lady who runs this service worked for Sick Kids in Toronto doing braces and prosthetics....she knows her business. She has a great understanding of not only ACL but numerous other dog related issues.

She made a leg brace for the injured leg. It is a self supporting made to fit brace with stainless hinge. Numerous measurements made prior to making and fitting it. The injured leg is totally supported and within a week he was comfortable walking on leg with pressure on foot. Brace was removed each night.

Brace came off 6 months later, this leg is stronger and steadier than the other.

She has a website with numerous pictures of her braces. Cost of brace was $900 and gave good results.

My Callie had two TPLO surgeries, you are correct - if one goes, the other surely will too. She was 8 when the first one went, had the surgery and 6 mos. recovery. She was 100% good as new once the recovery period was over. Same drive, it didn't slow her down at all, ran like a rocket, made the sharp turns, dock dived, you name it. Two years later, the second leg went. 2nd TPLO surgery went well, age 10. Within six months, she was again good as new! No braces, no high priced vet. The legs never bothered her, even in old age (14) never had a problem - no arthritis, problems getting up, stiffness - she was fine. Unfortunately, cancer got her in the end at age 14. I would do the TPLO!!!
    Carol

"Dogs come into our lives to teach us about love, they depart to teach us about loss. A new dog never replaces an old dog; it merely expands the heart. If you have loved many dogs your heart is very big." Erica Jong

Grady's Southern Dream Girl Mardi Gras "Mardi"
    Smokey's Angel Callie Girl "Callie"
    Carol's Smokey Girl "Smokey"

EdA had a dog with a blown ACL. Since he's a vet he took both an owner's and a clinical interest in the operation and the recovery. I hope he'll see this as I couldn't find the threads with his posts on them.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge