The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: First hunt coming up. Nervous....

Default First hunt coming up. Nervous....

I am taking my dog out for the season opener this weekend and am very nervous i am hoping our hard work pay's off. One of the guys i am going with also is taking his dog for the first time. it is his second dog he has trained though and my first. So hopefully they both do well, if not it will be fun either way.

Biggest concern for me and a new dog is breaking. Think about bringing a leash along to help control, or maybe not shooting and letting your partner shoot and you handle your dog for a while until you see how he's going to react. Bad habits are so easy to form and take a lot of work to correct later. Might be worth not taking a shot on his/her first hunt.

That's my plan, it's my first hunt as well so it's gonna be hard not to shoot. But until I'm comfortable with how she is doing I don't plan on shooting.

dont go with another dog, espically another whos first hunt it will be also. Not fair to either pups or the handlers, different story if its an older mature rock steady and calm dog. For my pups first hunt this year my buddy left if very good duck dog at home so we could have a puppy day, and i was very thankful he did that and a good friend will always do that. The next day we took is out, next year they will hunt together. We set up puppy hunts we call em, a hunt where we kno were gonna shoot birds and we dont care what species and some where more sustibable for a young dog. I had mine on lead cuz if they have any desire they will break, this way i could line him up well and send him when i want. This year ur hunting is for the pup not you lol talk to ur buddy and see what kind of arrangements u can set up. and make sure you go with guys who understand u have a pup cuz shes goin to whine and get antzy. Take some rocks in ur pocket cuz shes not alway goin to see the fall. Set her up for success, take good smart shots and be patient its a blast. My lil guy got 10 birds is first trip this year and hes 7 months old, i shot but let the buddy do most of it. Pup now has 45 retrieves this year, get her retrieves and experience and all ur hard work will pay off i promise. Good luck and keep us posted and take lots of pics bud its an awesome time and something ull never forget.

Quote Originally Posted by reger124 View Post
    I am taking my dog out for the season opener this weekend and am very nervous i am hoping our hard work pay's off. One of the guys i am going with also is taking his dog for the first time. it is his second dog he has trained though and my first. So hopefully they both do well, if not it will be fun either way.
    I am in the same boat, young dog and first hunting season. My plan has already been suggested to have whoever I am with do the shooting while I keep a close eye on my pup. Secondly, and this is just me and my opinion but I would NOT be going with other dogs until yours gets more "solidified". The reason I say this is mine is still a young dog and still has quite a bit of puppy in him and the way he is with other dogs, in his mind it is always playtime. Just my opinion and my plan of action is all, all dogs are different and so are peoples belief. Good luck, enjoy the outing and have a great time.

Keep the dog on lead. They will break at some point. Be patient. Remember, this is the dogs first hunt. Don't get upset if it tries to break, misses marks, takes a dump next to your blind, etc. it's like a little kid playing their first football game. They may have a great time and do well, but they also might fumble a couple times or run to the wrong end zone. Your supposed to have fun together. So enjoy the hunt and don't get upset if the dog doesn't handle like a 5 year old master hunter.
    That being said. Be considerate of corrections in the field. It is another training opportunity. Don't let the dog think that hunting means it gets to do whatever it wants, and trainng time is when to get serious. Now is the time to look for flaws in your training. Enjoy it...I still remember every moment of my dogs first hunts.

I would say our first trip was successful. She only marked one bird due to thick cover on the edge of the water in front of us but the ones she didn't see i could get her about twenty or so yards away line her up and send and she would get them. She retrieved most of the birds we shot due to my friends dog not picking them up. She did really well in the blind no whining almost bored (would lay next to me) until we started calling then she would perk right up. towards the middle of day two she finally started to look up for birds. It was really cool watching her progress. We still have a lot of work to do though. Also she didn't even try to break a single time ( I'm still going to be cautious about that though every trip out for a while.)

thats awesome man! its an amazing feeling isnt it? This year is something ill never forget with my lil man ive given up alot of sleep to take that boy out and like you said so cool watching the progession they make. My boy has 51 ducks so far this year. STill lots of work but every bit of it is worth it for sure. Good luck rest of way with girl sorry about ur buddys dog

With two inexperienced dogs hunting together on their first hunts, get ready for more dog training and reinforcing than hunting. Have fun.

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (But no free jacket).