RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Food Supplements. Do you use them?

3K views 12 replies 13 participants last post by  Meagan Alexander 
#1 ·
Just saw an advertisement for a product called Fido Vite. I was impressed that Mary Howley of Candlewood Kennels was endorsing it. Thought about trying it but basically my 6 month old pup is healthy and has a good coat. Currently feed Pro Plan Sport and give a couple tuna oil pills (that Doc E sells) a day.

Are these probiotic supplements necessary and/or worth the cost?

#3 ·
I give a couple of mine eggs, loaf bread, yogurt and coconut oil.

Lonnie Spann

#4 ·
I prefer that my food "supplements" be actual food: an occassional can of tuna or sardines, liver, sauted meat, eggs, baked salmon, various leftovers, etc. Once a week, they all get a big helping of homemade doggie meatloaf. Will they live longer or be healthier? Maybe, maybe not. They sure like it better than a monotous diet of nothing but the same dry dog food everyday.

#5 ·
i only give supplements for specific issues. If a Doug's energy level is good, coat is good and stools are good, and you are feeding a high quality diet..... No real need IMHO.

#11 ·
I give my dogs a fish oil cap each day just because I take them myself and figure they should be good for the dogs too, right? If any of them have any tummy issues, instead of a store bought probiotic, they get a few spoonfuls of plain greek yogurt for a few days. More energy than is easy to keep up with, shiny coats, regular stool, what else would they need? Some of you using mail order supplements might want to check into the history of some of these labs. Do your homework before investing a lot of $$$ in snake oil.

#12 ·
All my dogs get a fish oil, and a glucosamine /chond/msm with their food every day. Thats it-
used to use Platinum Performance on some dogs but not so much anymore unless someone needed the extra

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.