The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Kennel Concrete

Default Kennel Concrete

Ok, I'm sure this topic has been talked about on here quite a few times but I am building a new kennel that is going to house about 26 dogs and wanna make sure it's done right. What is the correct concrete that needs to be used for dogs as far as; gravel, no gravel, lime, no lime, additives in the concrete, sealers, broom finished, hand troweled, slick finish, etc. all input would be greatly appreciated. I have an idea of what I want and what's acceptable just wanna run it by some others to get some confirmation.

Thanks

Can't speak to formulas but there has been some good info talked about here previously so use the search key. I can tell you that I have slick finish and don't like it. They power trowled it too long. I think the ideal would be a smooth trowel finish. I finished a driveway last year and got it pretty nice with just the bull float. Nex to that would maybe be very light broom finish. I don't prefer that because I have some around the outside of my kennels on the sidewalk and it'a a pain to wash poop out of. For sealers I used a product called Deep Seal and then one called Top seal which is great. Water sits on top of the concrete and it's easy to squegee off if I want it to dry in a hurry. Normally I just leave it and the water runs off and it dries fast on it's own. It's non toxic and easy to apply yourself.

If it's concrete, it will have gravel and lime in it already. Additives is a preference to what workability you need. The provider and finisher can help you to decide what it best.
    I would go with a concrete strength of 3500 psi. Gives you a little more cement than the 2500 or 3000 so that you get a cleaner/slicker finish. You want a slick finish. Easier on you and the dogs will get used to it without any problems. Others can help with the sealant more than I, I have none. (If you got the money to spend, epoxy coat it).
    Oh, last but certainly not least - make sure you place a heavy plastic moisture barrier on the subgrade(dirt/sand). This will leave the barrier sandwiched between the dirt and concrete. Overlap all edges to ensure a good sealed barrier.

I want to make sure I am clear on the question I am asking. I want to make sure that I not only go with a concrete that is safe chemically on the dogs but also easy to wash off, easy on dogs skin, but also easy to walk on when wet. I've heard that the lime in concrete is bad for their skin and I'm pretty sure you can get it without it. Any thoughts? Thanks for the input.

What I was getting at when I mentioned lime is already a part of the mix, is that Portland Cement, the binder in concrete is partially derived from lime. They don't usually add lime to the mix unless it's needed for more watertight installations. In your case, it would not be added. Dogs walk on a slick floor just fine. If you have a dog, maybe new to a concrete floor, having issues with it being slick, use mats. Sealing the concrete will help with the sensitive skin issue.

I thought there was a way for them to leave the lime out. Thanks for the help. Do you think a sealer is needed or personal preference?

a life time mason - poured many kennels - lime what makes concrete plastic - being able to move it easly
    and finish it - get some sand and wet it that is how concrete mix with out lime would be - a smooth finish not broom -because hair and poop will catch in the cracks and pitch it 1/4 in per ft for drainage sloop away from the gates as you don't want to be in water
    Last edited by olclamman; 10-11-2013 at 06:49 PM.
    retired -less money - more wife

I have a light broom finish and I don't have any cleaning issues mentioned above. I don't like a slick surface because the dogs can't stand up on their toes. I think the name for this is splaying. That's what you get-full range of opinions
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by jbeall View Post
    I thought there was a way for them to leave the lime out. Thanks for the help. Do you think a sealer is needed or personal preference?
    Portland cement, which is the binder in concrete, is about 65% CaO.
    The general term for CaO is lime, so you can't have concrete without lime.

But, I would not have fiber reinforcement added. Some may argue otherwise, but I wouldn't put it in.
    If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Any mix design will work, 3000 psi with fly ash added works great in our area due to rapid temp changes, 4" thick with 3/8" rebar 18" on centers. I would use a light broom finish and allow about 21 days of curing time, then seal with 2 coats of oil based acrylic sealer. Hard rock of limestone should be fine in mix.