The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many of you who hunt from a boat or stand...

I hunt from a boat blind as well and the dog sits on the front deck. I used to do the old fashion reach over and help him over the side getting totally soaked. I built a removable dog ladder this year and have done some training with it and so far love the results.
    Drew Allain

Cajun Made King "Zeus"

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    I routinely use a vest, our water's cold even on opening day. 90% of my hunting is out of our boat blind with the dog sitting either on the fore deck or smaller area next to the outboard. My dogs swim back to the boat, somehow even in deeper water put their front paws over the edge of the deck and expect me to haul them up by their skin or vest.

Yoda in his spot on the bow, November 2007...
    Looks a lot like our boat John!

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Looks a lot like our boat John!

Evan

Here's some construction pics. The boat in the hunting shot was my buddy Neil's boat, a Devlin SnowGoose, these or of my boat a Devlin Cackler that I lengthened, widened and took a little V out of the bottom for shallow water.

I like the handles a lot but we ran into an issue last year with a crippled bird that swam into a down tree where a branch got lodged in the handles and would not allow the dog to swim back. Had to untie the boat and physically untangle the dog. Probably a 1:1,000,000,000 chance it'll happen again but rethinking the handles.
    Sargent Taylor's Hevi-Shot (Sarge)

I've used both methods and still do depending upon the situation.
    "Blastem Daddy!" My Son's advice to me as a big ole Tom turkey came strutting within range. My son was 6 at the time.

Weller's Tell It To The Judge MH (Justice)
    Weller's Running With The Wind MH (Chase)
    JD's In It Again MH (Trouble) 5/1/2009 - 1/3/2012

Tried the handle, must've been a pretty poor handle as it ripped off sent us both flying; still I've become tired of being wet and having the dog have to creep through us to get back to her place on the bow; so this year we got a ladder, so she can do it on her own; she seems to have the hang of it in the summer weather, although it'll have to be adjusted for the duck boat, but I hope it works
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH-I HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

I use a vest when hunting the bays 100% of the time. With the combo of cold water and current, I wont hunt without one. Also have a fold up dog ladder that works real well. Its hard to find a stable/strong ladder. I have had to use the ladder myself to get it in.
    For me the vest didnt really change how the dog gets in, the ladder did.

Evan,
    I use a vest when I go from a warm fall to a hunt up North with a dog that has not acclimated. But, i will always use the push on the back of the head and let or make the dog give the effort to get in the boat, or truck for a young pup which is where i start it. Can't say why, but it seems like you are asking for trouble if you dont let them do the work themselves, not to mention dragging their legs across boat gunwhale, possibility they may hang up in a blind, etc. If they place their feet and i help them out with a push on the head, it seems less likely to have problems.... IMHO.
    "Dream big and dare to fail"

"Leadership in Service"

So, if I get one of these vests,... and someone asks if my dog handles,... I can now say, "YES"?

BHB
    Ahhhh, the smell of a bay dog... nothin finer!

One who lives this life without plans for eternity may appear to be wise for the moment but a fool forever.

Our lives are not made by the dreams we dream but by the choices we make.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American
    Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American
    Indian." Henry Ford

I run the boaters dog parka, I usually use either a stand on the shore or a ground force dog blind. If from the boat I put the dog blind on the bow of my boat draped with the camo netting. He comes in from the back into the boat to the front deck then into the blind.
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX