RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

A Navajo NAPI license costs $400.00 to.......

18K views 57 replies 20 participants last post by  dr_dog_guy 
#1 · (Edited)
hunt 72,000 acres of agricultural fields, with numerous ponds, and hundreds of thousands of ducks and geese feeding there daily for a 3 month season and a daily bag limit of 7 ducks and 4 geese, that doesn't count against your states limit?

#2 ·
Youre kidding right? no brainer for me-.....

#13 ·
It's navajo rez.
Season starts tomorrow, and ends in January.
Ya need a navajo small game license with bird stamp, which allows you to hunt on the rez in 4 states, and the 400 buck NAPI permit.
Their limit is 7 ducks and 4 geese.
Ours is 7 and 3.
So the way I understand it, I could legally kill 14 and 7 a day!

Google waterfowl hunting on NAPI, and see what you find.

If anyone is serious, fly into Durango, Co., I can pick you up and put you ul!

Permit comes with maps and legal!
Im gonna meet up with Eric in the safety department next week and get mine.

#15 ·
Really?
Moved to realestate over asking if others would pay that amount of monetary to hunt?
Brad throws out an interest in doing it, I offer to pick him up and put him up, and it gets moved?

WOW.......
Never started as an ad, just a reality check question to see if I was goofy.

#19 ·
Heck, Mark, it was only $300 two years ago. I didn't hunt last year with the knees, but I've bought that tag a couple of times. Lot and lots of geese. Good ducks till the ponds freeze.

Its not a hunt club, or any business, or anything like that (except for maybe the Navajo). Its a trespass permit to the Navajo Agricultural Products area just south of Farmington, where there are lots of center pivot corn fields. Like Mark says, you also need the Navajo Nation hunting license. They also sell an upland trespass pass, but I've never seen may pheasants or chukars up there.

This is no real estate ad - its just hunting on a reservation. Done it for years off of NAPI were you don't have to pay the trespass fee, and several times up on NAPI.

#20 ·
Morning Chuck.
Trap and I are getting ready for duck today!
The price went up a hunert bucks this year.
After moving frac tanks thru NAPI all last week and seeing all the corn fields and such, I decided, what the neck.
Its gonna be tough setting up in those huge fields by myself, but I guess Ill just have to start earlier!

Too many birds coming up off Bolacks to not try.

#23 ·
I'm not sure about waterfowl, but at least in NM I can buy an elk tag on the Jicarilla Reservation and still have a NM tag. I suspect waterfowl are the same. Trying to shoot two limits in this county would be a lot of work, though. Right or wrong, I'll bet its legal. It is for big game.

#22 ·
Mark, if you know well checkers out there, they will know which fields are getting used by the geese - or check yourself the afternoon before a hunt. Even with a small spread you can pull a few geese off of the big flocks - enough to limit. For the far edge of the pacific flyway, there is nothing I've seen like it.

My gunsmith and his son have hunted that area a couple of years, and over the years I've known others. Its not cheap, but its the best around here.

They limit the number of trespass tags, too, so you are never overwhelmed with other hunters. I don't ever recall seeing anyone else, now that I think of it.

Hope you get a limit!

#25 · (Edited)
Its so hard to be wrong, isn't it?

Its no lease, its right to access. A trespass fee on a portion of the Navajo Nation. And Indian Reservations are different. They are separate nations by treaty and law. They are definitely not public nor private. I don't know about waterfowl, Mark can reply to that, but i know its true for big game.

http://www.navajopride.com/Hunting.html

http://www.nndfw.org/2011-2012 Game Bird Proclamation.pdf

and check the "Open Areas"

take a look, come hunt the Navajo Nation

#28 ·
Only 400? Heck in arkansas a 40 acre rice field in decent duck area is usually 4,000 which doesn't include diesel to pump it. The best 40 acre fields hardly ever open up and if they do are around 6-8,000. Flooded timber can run from 15,000-25,000 for 80-150 acres. Club dues usually charge 5-10,000 for decent hunting and 6 digits for phenomenal hunting. If I was out there I wouldn't think twice about this oppurtunity

#29 ·
Morning all.
Reading the rules, the way I am understanding it, NO double limit.
What I am not getting tho is the reservation limit is 7 ducks and 4 geese, where state is 7 ducks and 3 geese.
Im going to get my Navajo nation small game license with bird validation today, and might be able to meet up with the safety guy and get my NAPI permit.
Once I get it, Ill fill you all in.
It is 400 bucks for all season, to access all the fields, ponds, and canals, on 72,000 acres of the place.
They will give me maps.
Reservations are sovereign nations. They make their own rules.
Heck, I need a picture work permit to work on the Jicarilla and Southern Ute reservations.

#30 ·
Mark, the Navajo's use the Arizona limits, not the NM limits. Probably its because Window Rock is in AZ, but its been that way as long as I've lived here.

They make you have a picture ID on the Southern Ute? I have one for the Jicarilla, but not the Utes. They are probaby too used to me, or all the rangers have my picture on the dash.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.