The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have you ever looked at your dog the mourning of a hunt test and knew you were toast

Quote Originally Posted by 8mmag View Post
    So what did you do to counteract your reading of his intentions?

IMHO The dog needed his thought process changed...now...before the test. I think this calls for a healthy dose of pre-test OB and some blinds or blind drills to get him thinking about you so some of this control carries over to test time. You're gonna have to skip breakfast today and prepare his mind. And then make absolutely sure you are in complete control from the moment the door to his crate opens at the truck. Some off-grounds rinse and repeat might be in order between series too, depending on his behavior in the first.

Curious what other folks might do...
    what I did was walked him around and reinforced all commands and did not put up with any crap we did not have any place around to do blind work but on the way to the test I found a place where I could throw some marks . he still had the look but he did the job. on sat. he ran #38 then when he reached the blind a rabbit ran out beside him he started to chase it but I stopped him and handled back to the blind and he picked it up. next up he was honoring and the 1st 2 dogs broke so he sat through 3 dogs he was almost crawling out of his skin. sun. he was #1 dog so there wasn't a lot of scent out there but he didn't take time to use his nose. it was a pretty hard test but like some one said he was self employed.13 dogs out of 30 passed so it was possible. on a good note I got home early. now it's blind building time and testing is on hold till next year

Quote Originally Posted by 8mmag View Post
    So what did you do to counteract your reading of his intentions?

IMHO The dog needed his thought process changed...now...before the test. I think this calls for a healthy dose of pre-test OB and some blinds or blind drills to get him thinking about you so some of this control carries over to test time. You're gonna have to skip breakfast today and prepare his mind. And then make absolutely sure you are in complete control from the moment the door to his crate opens at the truck. Some off-grounds rinse and repeat might be in order between series too, depending on his behavior in the first.

Curious what other folks might do...
    I usually take my dog to church and we have a come to Jesus meeting.

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (But no free jacket).

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Spann View Post
    I usually take my dog to church and we have a come to Jesus meeting.

Lonnie Spann
    Sounds like a plan that is if they listen!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    Pink Lady

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

My little black dog gets a glazed over look in his eyes and I know we are done if I can't snap him out of it.

If I can't - he goes on a nice fun run making it look to the judges like he just missed the mark and is putting on a nice hunt. But he and I know he is just having a nice jaunt and has no intention of finding it, or being handled to it.

All that seems to work is to getting him all happy and try to get him to focus on me. Worked at the MN 2X and got the pass, but man does he drive me crazy.
    "Too late smart, too soon old" - Now I finally get it Grandpa

Dennis Long
    HRCH SHDW MTN Aces and Eights Toby MH "Toby"
    HRCH Barton Creek's Winner Take All MH "Rio"
    Ranger 1997 - 2012
    Ragin' Charge of the Light Brigade "Cannon"

I've experienced the crack effect. I thought I had a different dog with me as we approached the line with an energy level I've never seen in him. Couldn't hardly contain him in the holding blinds but chalked it up to the fact we didn't train a single day the week before the test as I was consumed with work that week. We were running Senior and he hit the marks and I handled him to his blind but he was obviously out of his mind and the Judge said just honor on lead if you won't mind and let's say it's train ability. I said no problem I understand , rather awkwardly .

It wasn't till I returned to the truck due to the fact my dogs ride in the cab until I kennel them in the back, that I realized what had just happened. My dog was all wound up and had ripped open 2 bottles of sweetened Ice tea and consumed them. I'd just taken my dog to the line on a sugar high you can only imagine. He's a high energy dog to start with and now it was like he'd taken rocket fuel. It might have well been crack because I couldn't tell the difference. One for the memory
    books but at least I knew it wasn't train ability.

When your dog jumps into the truck with the tailgate UP !!

I have a female that does the bewitched thing. If she comes out of the box with her nose twitching from side to side like Bewitched...get ready because she's gonna show you things that you didn't think were possible!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Dufour View Post
    When your dog jumps into the truck with the tailgate UP !!
    Or through the window...
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

I like the title but I'm likely to be in mourning the day after the test.
    Kelly Cassidy (person)

SR Maple Cassidy CDX JH RE (golden retriever)
    Alder Cassidy CDX RE (standard poodle chipmunk chaser)
    plus the "old ladies" (2 elderly mix-breed rescue girls)

I had a friend whose dog would sometimes stop on the sit whistle, sit promptly then start wagging her tail very quickly. When she did that my friend knew she was done for the day. The wagging tail was much the same gesture as the individual finger. Sure I'll sit for you but that will be all you'll get out of me.

Dawn
    mostlygold
    Terrill's Mr Butch CDX TT; Terrill's Adalay CD TD; Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HR WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.