The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Neoprene Vests - which is your favorite?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Fargo, ND
    Posts
    40

    Default Neoprene Vests - which is your favorite?

    I am in the market for a neoprene vest for my 8.5mo YLM and need to buy one ASAP before my two week trip back home to NoDak. I have been looking at multiple brands (Banded, Avery, Cabelas, etc.) and can't decide which one to pick up. I was leaning towards the Banded 5mm neoprene but was reading some bad reviews on how it fits most dogs. I was also partially leaning towards the ASD boaters parka, but I don't do a lot of hunting over water so not sure if this is still a good option or not. Which ones have you guys used and liked over the years?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Duckquilizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Mid-TN
    Posts
    922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LabGuy6 View Post
    I am in the market for a neoprene vest for my 8.5mo YLM and need to buy one ASAP before my two week trip back home to NoDak. I have been looking at multiple brands (Banded, Avery, Cabelas, etc.) and can't decide which one to pick up. I was leaning towards the Banded 5mm neoprene but was reading some bad reviews on how it fits most dogs. I was also partially leaning towards the ASD boaters parka, but I don't do a lot of hunting over water so not sure if this is still a good option or not. Which ones have you guys used and liked over the years?
    I use the ASD boaters parka on my dogs and we mostly hunt rice. They seem to be well made with heavy duty zippers(unless they changed designs). I broke the zipper handle off one, but was an easy fix with paracord. This was as much my fault.
    Kendall Layne

    HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

    Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    349

    Default

    I have the cabelas vest. But to get it to fit properly I had to have some adjustments made.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Daren Galloway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    194

    Default

    Handles on the boaters parka are hany if you hunt off of a stand or boat, see Evan's thread on that. I believe they are more expensive than the standard vest so if you don't need the handles that is the only difference I know of between the boaters and standard vest.
    Daren Galloway

  5. #5
    Senior Member GulfCoast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Pascagoula, MS
    Posts
    1,935

    Default

    I like the Boaters Parka because it is more tapered, and needs less cutting/trimming/reglueing. However, the zippers punk out after about 2 seasons of heavy use.
    Wm. Mark Edwards
    Pascagoula, MS

    HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH
    SHR Tipsy

  6. #6
    Senior Member KevinsKennels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    204

    Default

    IMG_20130824_192034_177.jpg
    I prefer the boaters parka but my CLM likes his Camo neck life vest. This is what happens when you turn your back on them for 1 second. Haha
    Captain Drake of Dutchess JH. "Drake"
    Kodiak Miss Angel "Koda" R.I.P.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Jim Danis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC
    Posts
    869

    Default

    I've used both the Cabelas Armored Vest and Avery's Boaters Vest. I did have to trim the Cabelas vest to remove some excess material. After that it fit perfectly. I didn't with the Avery vest. The Avery zipper stinks though. One thing I like about the Cabelas vest is that it has a broad band of Velcro that allows me to adjust the vest to get a good snug fit all around. Also, if my dog does happen to get caught up in something there is the chance that he can pull out of the Velcro and free himself from the vest. With the zippered Avery vest that isn't happening.
    "Blastem Daddy!" My Son's advice to me as a big ole Tom turkey came strutting within range. My son was 6 at the time.

    Weller's Tell It To The Judge MH (Justice)
    Weller's Running With The Wind MH (Chase)
    JD's In It Again MH (Trouble) 5/1/2009 - 1/3/2012

  8. #8
    Senior Member RookieTrainer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Central AL
    Posts
    1,237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Duckquilizer View Post
    I use the ASD boaters parka on my dogs and we mostly hunt rice. They seem to be well made with heavy duty zippers(unless they changed designs). I broke the zipper handle off one, but was an easy fix with paracord. This was as much my fault.
    The zippers work well unless your "steady" 11 month old YLM on his first duck hunt has to be secured and your buddy hooks the cord to only one of the D-rings and not both. When the "steady" dog decides he wants to help retrieve decoys when you start picking up to leave, the zipper will come right out of a 36-hour old ASD Boater's Parka. This was lesson #1 that he might not be as steady as I thought. And that a dog with a neoprene jacket folded over his head such that he can't see is somewhat difficult to manage.

    To be fair, a lot of steadiness work later, he has NOT torn the zipper out of ASD Boater's Parka #2. Yet.

    I wish I had video of some of this stuff. High-drive first dogs are a HOOT.
    Last edited by RookieTrainer; 10-14-2013 at 02:10 PM.
    Steve Wyatt

    HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

  9. #9
    Member huntinwithlabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Harrisburg, OR
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinsKennels View Post
    IMG_20130824_192034_177.jpg
    I prefer the boaters parka but my CLM likes his Camo neck life vest. This is what happens when you turn your back on them for 1 second. Haha
    that is classic right there

    we also use the boaters parka. We are hunting on the bays about 50% of the time. Cold water and currents = boaters parka imho

  10. #10
    Senior Member TCFarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thurston County, WA
    Posts
    331

    Default

    I like the Cabelas vest, the velcro allows for a small amount of adjustment. Fitting the vest properly is probably more important than which one you get.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •