The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Neoprene Vests - which is your favorite?

Default Neoprene Vests - which is your favorite?

I am in the market for a neoprene vest for my 8.5mo YLM and need to buy one ASAP before my two week trip back home to NoDak. I have been looking at multiple brands (Banded, Avery, Cabelas, etc.) and can't decide which one to pick up. I was leaning towards the Banded 5mm neoprene but was reading some bad reviews on how it fits most dogs. I was also partially leaning towards the ASD boaters parka, but I don't do a lot of hunting over water so not sure if this is still a good option or not. Which ones have you guys used and liked over the years?

Quote Originally Posted by LabGuy6 View Post
    I am in the market for a neoprene vest for my 8.5mo YLM and need to buy one ASAP before my two week trip back home to NoDak. I have been looking at multiple brands (Banded, Avery, Cabelas, etc.) and can't decide which one to pick up. I was leaning towards the Banded 5mm neoprene but was reading some bad reviews on how it fits most dogs. I was also partially leaning towards the ASD boaters parka, but I don't do a lot of hunting over water so not sure if this is still a good option or not. Which ones have you guys used and liked over the years?
    I use the ASD boaters parka on my dogs and we mostly hunt rice. They seem to be well made with heavy duty zippers(unless they changed designs). I broke the zipper handle off one, but was an easy fix with paracord. This was as much my fault.
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

I have the cabelas vest. But to get it to fit properly I had to have some adjustments made.

Handles on the boaters parka are hany if you hunt off of a stand or boat, see Evan's thread on that. I believe they are more expensive than the standard vest so if you don't need the handles that is the only difference I know of between the boaters and standard vest.
    Daren Galloway

I like the Boaters Parka because it is more tapered, and needs less cutting/trimming/reglueing. However, the zippers punk out after about 2 seasons of heavy use.
    Wm. Mark Edwards
    Pascagoula, MS

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH
    SHR Tipsy

IMG_20130824_192034_177.jpg
    I prefer the boaters parka but my CLM likes his Camo neck life vest. This is what happens when you turn your back on them for 1 second. Haha
    Captain Drake of Dutchess JH. "Drake"
    Kodiak Miss Angel "Koda" R.I.P.

I've used both the Cabelas Armored Vest and Avery's Boaters Vest. I did have to trim the Cabelas vest to remove some excess material. After that it fit perfectly. I didn't with the Avery vest. The Avery zipper stinks though. One thing I like about the Cabelas vest is that it has a broad band of Velcro that allows me to adjust the vest to get a good snug fit all around. Also, if my dog does happen to get caught up in something there is the chance that he can pull out of the Velcro and free himself from the vest. With the zippered Avery vest that isn't happening.
    "Blastem Daddy!" My Son's advice to me as a big ole Tom turkey came strutting within range. My son was 6 at the time.

Weller's Tell It To The Judge MH (Justice)
    Weller's Running With The Wind MH (Chase)
    JD's In It Again MH (Trouble) 5/1/2009 - 1/3/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Duckquilizer View Post
    I use the ASD boaters parka on my dogs and we mostly hunt rice. They seem to be well made with heavy duty zippers(unless they changed designs). I broke the zipper handle off one, but was an easy fix with paracord. This was as much my fault.
    The zippers work well unless your "steady" 11 month old YLM on his first duck hunt has to be secured and your buddy hooks the cord to only one of the D-rings and not both. When the "steady" dog decides he wants to help retrieve decoys when you start picking up to leave, the zipper will come right out of a 36-hour old ASD Boater's Parka. This was lesson #1 that he might not be as steady as I thought. And that a dog with a neoprene jacket folded over his head such that he can't see is somewhat difficult to manage.

To be fair, a lot of steadiness work later, he has NOT torn the zipper out of ASD Boater's Parka #2. Yet.

I wish I had video of some of this stuff. High-drive first dogs are a HOOT.
    Last edited by RookieTrainer; 10-14-2013 at 02:10 PM.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Quote Originally Posted by KevinsKennels View Post
    IMG_20130824_192034_177.jpg
    I prefer the boaters parka but my CLM likes his Camo neck life vest. This is what happens when you turn your back on them for 1 second. Haha
    that is classic right there

we also use the boaters parka. We are hunting on the bays about 50% of the time. Cold water and currents = boaters parka imho

I like the Cabelas vest, the velcro allows for a small amount of adjustment. Fitting the vest properly is probably more important than which one you get.