The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Pancreatits and new dog food

Default Pancreatits and new dog food

Well my year and half old chessie gave us quite a scare last week. Vomiting and lethargic. A visit to our vet then a long drive to the emergency vet a day later $2600 and she has Pancreatits. Well now we have to go to a low fat less then 12% but 8% or lower would be better the vet says. so now I have to figure out what food to use and i have to supplement with protein for the fat any ideas out there
    I have never understood why you can have the best trained dogs in the world, but when you put two dogs together the act like they have a half a brain between the both of them.

Rkk's Lady Of the Lake

Wellness Core or Annamaet Lean. Any weight formula should have low fat.
    -Meagan
    Alexander's Sweet Emma Jo
    "Emma" Born March 31, 2011

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nick_wilburn View Post
    Well my year and half old chessie gave us quite a scare last week. Vomiting and lethargic. A visit to our vet then a long drive to the emergency vet a day later $2600 and she has Pancreatits. Well now we have to go to a low fat less then 12% but 8% or lower would be better the vet says. so now I have to figure out what food to use and i have to supplement with protein for the fat any ideas out there
    I second Annamaet Lean. If your vet agrees, you can add coconut oil. This fat is often used because the body metabolizes it without pancreatic enzymes, more like a carbohydrate.

Annamaet Lean is a 30% protein food of very high quality that should do well. Wellness is good too and its much easier to find. You should be able to manage this without compromising quality.

Quote Originally Posted by nick_wilburn View Post
    Your vet didn't start her on Viocase or Pancrazyme with a diagnosis of Pancreatis?

nope i was sent home with find the lowest fat food you can and supplement it with a ton of protein
    I have never understood why you can have the best trained dogs in the world, but when you put two dogs together the act like they have a half a brain between the both of them.

Rkk's Lady Of the Lake

The Honest Kitchen makes a great dehydrated diet. It's called Zeal. 8.5% fat. Good Luck
    Julie Rihn

Those who say "Diamonds are a girl's best friend" have never met my dog!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Rihn View Post
    The Honest Kitchen makes a great dehydrated diet. It's called Zeal. 8.5% fat. Good Luck
    Except it will cost around $8 a day to feed a Chessie that diet, 6 - 7 times something just as good.

We've had good luck with Blue Buffalo healthy weight.
    Pam
    Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ