The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GDG!!!! Chili recipie and hot sauce recipie GDG

Classic chili con carne was made at the chuck wagon and consisted of cubed beef (you can substitute coarse ground beef), onions, garlic, cumin, jalapenos, and salt to taste. In a cast iron skillet brown the beef, ladel off the fat if desired and set aside. Chop the garlic, onions, and jalapenos and cook in the skillet until the onions are opaque, return the beef to the mixture and add enough water to cover the mixture and simmer until the beef is tender. I usually do this step in a crock pot, don't spare the cumin and garlic. You can add chili powder if you want to spice it up more. Tomatoes and beans are non-traditional additions.

Serve with rice Ed?
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

1lb slightly browned ground beef, two cans stewed tomatoes, four of five whole roma tomatoes, cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder, liquid smoke to taste, lots of garlic, 1 can of bushs baked beans(thick and sweet) I add two dried hot peppers my sister grows. Two cheap steaks BBQ'd preferably or browned in skillet will work rare then cubed. one onion chopped. Cook overnight on low. In the morning, Stir and smash until tomatoes are gone and beans dissolve to just become a thickener. Let sit on low and spoon off the oil/some tomato liquid off the top a couple times, place in a skillet. Use the oil and tomato liquid to thicken more with cornstarch depending upon how you like your chili.

EDIT: Don't forget Pepper BACON! about 1/4-1/2 lb. Big chopped pieces

I add one can of white beans, one kidney and chopped green peppers and red peppers. I just like it that way and it stretches it out further but, it's a great chili straight without the beans over white rice. Takes about 10 minutes to get everything in the crock pot. If you use canned beans, the most important part is rinsing them and adding them very last when you turn off the crock pot. They don't need to be cooked and the residual heat will do just fine. Nothing worse than overcooked beans in a stew/chili

We always ate chili with rice growing up. Moms way of making a meal go further.
    Last edited by Paul "Happy" Gilmore; 10-15-2013 at 10:41 AM.

You want to be popular make my "clam chili" recipe... oh buddy..

Quote Originally Posted by suepuff View Post
    Serve with rice Ed?
    You can serve over rice, fritos, tortilla chips, or traditionally hot and steaming in a bowl with some shredded cheese on top and a cold cerveza to wash it down. And then try the Shanghai Jimmy chili rice that Mike posted!
    Last edited by EdA; 10-15-2013 at 10:48 AM.

Hot sauce: Southern, place whole raw cayenne peppers in a bottle with small opening, cover with apple cider vinegar, let soak, put only vinegar on food.

Traditional: place whole raw cayenne peppers in a blender add apple cider vinegar and purée.

Important: do not rub your eyes for at least a week!

Hot sauce: make brine with salt, white vinegar, and water to total two cups liquid, add Trinidad Scorpion peppers, 8 to 10, let steep in the refrigerator for 2 weeks.Blend.Do not open the blender without opening windows or breath in directly in.Use sparingly.
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice

The secret sauce is Worchestershire
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

I love the internet, taken from the Dallas History Forum apparently transcribed from an LP:

Shanghai Jimmy’s Texas Chili
    For use in Chili Rice

Ingredients:

2 lbs. beef – lean chili cut (I have found that a nice lean roast ground into chili meat works best)
    6 beef bullion cubes
    1 bay leaf
    2 tablespoons cooking oil
    4 teaspoons sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    ½ teaspoon red pepper (this is his recipe. You might adjust to your taste)
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    1 teaspoon garlic powder (NOT garlic salt)
    4 teaspoons cumin
    4 tablespoons chili powder (again, adjust to your taste)
    4 tablespoons flour
    4 tablespoons corn meal
    4 teaspoons lemon juice (see alternative ingredient at the end of the recipe)

Recipe:

Allow about 2½ hours to prepare.

Heat two tablespoons cooking oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the chili meat and fry for 15 minutes. DO NOT STIR THE MEAT.

Turn the meat, without stirring, and cook for another 10 minutes.

While you are doing this put 6 cups of hot water in a 4 quart pot and dissolve the bullion cubes. When the beef is cooked break it up and add to this stock. Add the bay leaf. Add one additional cup of water. Be sure to use the grease that cooks off the meat in addition to the meat itself. Cook this for 1½ hours over low to medium heat (slow boil). You may cover the pot if you wish.

At about 1 hour and 20 minutes combine the following ingredients in a mixing bowl: Sugar, salt, red pepper, black pepper, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder.

Stir to mix well. When mixed stir it into the stock and leave at a slow boil for 10 minutes (leave the pot uncovered)

Mix the flour and the corn meal well. You do not want any lumps in this. Then add ¾ cup of water to form a watery paste. Once again stir well to eliminate any lumps. Then add this mix to the chili. This is the thickening agent.

Stir well and continue stirring for 5 minutes at a slow boil.

Cut the heat to below a simmer and add the lemon juice. In place of the lemon juice you may use 2 teaspoons of cider vinegar or 4 tablespoons of sherry if you like. Whatever you use, stir it in well.

Transcribers note:

I have successfully multiplied this recipe to make up to 10 gallons of chili at a time. The only alteration was that I often used less meat than would be called for with a straight multiplication of the ingredients.

While the recipe on the LP does not mention the rice or the way to mix the chili with it, here is my method based on experimentation and memory of how Shanghai Jimmy did it:

I always use Uncle Ben’s Converted Rice. It seems to divide into individual grains and stay firm. When I use this rice it is most like what I remember eating at Shanghai’s places.

As I recall he would add a pat of butter to the bottom of the Styrofoam cup and then add a layer of rice. Next he would add a layer of chili. This repeated at least two times. I never had mine with cheese, onions or celery so I am not sure when he added these ingredients. My thought is on top but I could be mistaken.
    power without lumber, raciness without weediness

A big man never looks down on others.... instead, he is someone to look up to.

Rochester, MN Bob & Ann Heise HiRollerLabs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Bob View Post
    Funny Gooser. I posted a chili recipe on here once and all the Texas people reamed me because it had beans in it. "wasn't real" chili they said. I liked it anyhow.
    Watched one of the cooking shows, and TX chili has NO BEANS in it. And, the chefs did not use hamburger like we northerners would .
    Bob/Ann Heise
    "Show up. Dominate. Go home." Dan Gable

"There is no such thing as perfection. There is always a higher level." Dan Gable

"Look at pressure as an opportunity." Tom Brands

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 2010

I don't believe in allowing wine to breathe. I prefer mouth-to-wine resuscitation.