The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: GDG!!!! Chili recipie and hot sauce recipie GDG

Default gdg

Thanks everyone on the Ideas, some of them sound scary with the vineger but will try them.
    Last edited by Brad; 10-16-2013 at 09:35 PM.

Grew up poor in TX. We usually had chili once/week, always with beans. I never even heard of chili without beans until well into adulthood. Thought of chili as poverty food; a way to make cheap ingredients tasty. No real recipe, hard to screw up. As the eldest, I was always the cook. I can make it in my sleep:

Saute an onion in a heavy skillet. Add a pound or so of hamburger and the spices (see below). Brown the burger until it's not pink. If you've used a burger with high fat content (which I recommend, because it browns more evenly and retains the taste of spices better), tilt the skillet after the burger is brown, push the meat up, and ladle off the excess grease that drains into the lower part of the pan. (The best container for hot grease is a used tin can. The grease solidifies as it cools. When it's solid and cool, toss it into the garbage. Don't pour grease down the drain unles you like visiting with your plumber.)

Add beans (see below) and a can of tomato sauce or diced tomatoes. If you are feeling ambitious, add a chopped bell pepper, your choice of green, yellow, orange, red, or a mix. I like to add a generous helping of "tamed", presliced jalapenos, plus a few spoons of the brine they're in. You can find these in the supermarket in the pickle section. Far, far better than dealing with fresh jalapenos.
    Cook for awhile. When it's close to being done, add a cup or so of frozen sweet corn kernels.

Spices: I generally use salt, pepper, chili powder, oregano, garlic, and cumin. Amounts? Hmm. Probably:
    Start with about 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Don't oversalt. You can always add more later.
    1/2 to 1 teaspoon pepper
    a teaspoon or so of oregano
    a couple teaspons of cumin
    generous amount of garlic powder, or, if you prefer, saute chopped fresh garlic with the onion.
    a teaspoon or two of red chili powder. Easy on the chili powder, unless you like it really hot.

Beans: Best when cooked from scratch but the soaking starts the night before and they take hours to cook. Canned beans are easier. I really dislike canned beans labeled "Cnili" beans. They have some spice that I hate. I'd use plain old non-chili kidney beans, but also like Paul's idea of Bush's baked beans. If you are opposed to beans in chili, you can heat the beans separately and let people add the amount of beans they prefer, or not.

Serve with sweet cornbread. (Make cornbread according to the recipe on the bos, except cut the flour in half and increase the sugar to half a cup.)

Have available toppings for the chili of shreadded cheese, sour cream, sliced tamed jalapenos and diced raw onions. If you want to be fancier, have chopped cilantro and lime slices available, too.

Unless you get carried away with the chili powder, this will be a mild chili, suitable for children and adults that don't like flaming hot chili. You can put a bottle of Tabasco or Sirachi (spelling) sauce on the side for the heat lovers.
    Last edited by PalouseDogs; 10-17-2013 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Content
    Kelly Cassidy (person)

HR Maple Cassidy CDX JH RE (golden retriever)
    Alder Cassidy CDX RE (standard poodle chipmunk chaser)
    plus whacked-out weird Burka (elderly mix-breed rescue girl)

Quote Originally Posted by blind ambition View Post
    Shanghai Jimmy’s Texas Chili
    For use in Chili Rice

We have this one cookin' right now. Smells good. Tastes good so far. Looks funny without beans though.

Getting mine ready too!
    power without lumber, raciness without weediness

A big man never looks down on others.... instead, he is someone to look up to.

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Bob View Post
    We have this one cookin' right now. Smells good. Tastes good so far. Looks funny without beans though. [/INDENT]
    Quote Originally Posted by blind ambition View Post
    Getting mine ready too!
    So how did they turn out?
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Quote Originally Posted by M&K's Retrievers View Post
    So how did they turn out?
    Good. We'll make it again. We added peppers though, 2 red bell peppers,1 green bell pepper, and one big jalapeno pepper.

Ok, I misded the dead line to sign up so now im really interested in ideas.
    Im wondering about Happys clam chili.
    what is Shanghi chili ?

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Bob View Post
    Good. We'll make it again. We added peppers though, 2 red bell peppers,1 green bell pepper, and one big jalapeno pepper.
    Wrong peppers except jalapeņo, habanero but please no bell peppers, you guys north of the Mason-Dixon Line just don't understand, jeez.......

Is a real chili even suppose to have beans in it ? Some don't think so...

http://www.texascooking.com/features...erformance.htm

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    Is a real chili even suppose to have beans in it ? Some don't think so...

http://www.texascooking.com/features...erformance.htm

john
    read the thread John and you will learn that chili does not have beans except in Georgia, Illinois, and other foreign countries.