The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever looked at your dog the mourning of a hunt test and knew you were toast

Default Have you ever looked at your dog the mourning of a hunt test and knew you were toast

2 weeks ago my 2 yr old clm was signed up for a sat. Sun . Sr hunt test he did pretty well sat. And got a ribbon. We went back to the motel and setteled in for the night. We got up sun at 5 am aired and fed him. I looked in his eyes and they were twice as big as normal and he appeared evil i have never seen crack but i wondered how he got out and scored some. At the test he was wild, the walk up was 1st up and i was sure he would break but he didn't the next was the live flyer again he sat there until released he took off like a scalded dog and my normal good marking dog over ran the bird and was headed to parts unknown. The good part was i got him stopped with a whistle and handeled back to the area of the fall but he was not interested and would not pick up any birds. So it was a early exit

HaHa! I am worried about the same thing in the two day double senior coming up. My guy has been really good throughout junior and his first senior a month ago. But this may put him over the top. I would not run both, but this will be our last chance until next June. I am determined that if he is bad at the line I will leash him, thank the judges and put him back in the truck. Hope I've learned my lesson enough to have the fortitude to make this decision!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Pat you might want to edit your title. Mourning
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

Pat yes they have this great glee in their eyes and can hardly wait to run the show. When I ran my old guy in HRC he knew what the second day was about. It was hard enough to keep him in check the first day. Consequently he only went to his HR title and did duck hunting instead which isn't all that bad.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA

HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI

Metras's Hashtag Mickey

Are you already in "mourning" before the test has run?
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Middle of Michigan n Matagorda TX (no more cause the RV park we stayed in said no to outside dogs.

The eyes have it! Seen it several times with a 3 y/o CLF who had 10 master passes before age 3 but quite a few of those DAYS of wide eyed anticipation of freedom from the chains of training. Good luck with that! Most of all have fun, the Lord knows I tried but some days were not all that fun. Told the judges at the last test that I was not about to have much fun. Sure enough she blew me off after the 1st bird of a delayed trip was thrown and she was sent on the blind. Somewhere in the 1st 50 yards she went whistle deaf.
    John C aka jacduck

Do you really want to increase entries at the Junior Hunt Test level? Simply put a limit on entries and everyone will flock to JR and fight over how to get in and what to change to make it fair for all !!!!!

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

Have had that happen halfway through the land series on a SH test. When he went for the memory bird, he turned and looked at me and I saw that "I'm going self-employed NOW" look. I sat him and called him in. The judges told me that I didn't have to pick up my dog....I said, "oh yes I did!".

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP DJ VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

So what did you do to counteract your reading of his intentions?

IMHO The dog needed his thought process changed...now...before the test. I think this calls for a healthy dose of pre-test OB and some blinds or blind drills to get him thinking about you so some of this control carries over to test time. You're gonna have to skip breakfast today and prepare his mind. And then make absolutely sure you are in complete control from the moment the door to his crate opens at the truck. Some off-grounds rinse and repeat might be in order between series too, depending on his behavior in the first.

Curious what other folks might do...
    Tom Rogers; Owned and Handled by Al Capone's Magic Patriot Son - Riot
    [FC/AFC Big Alfonse Capone of Mo-Kan x Dominators Magic Avalon]

R.I.P. Grandpaws FC AFC HRCH Taylorlab Downtown "Dusty" Brown MH & FC CFC CAFC Taylorlabs "Magic" Trick MH CD
    Riot's Career
    on EE

I too know the evil look! I see it when I let him out to air at the grounds-
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

I learned quick to not take my dog from the truck to the line. He has great line manners and is fun to run but run he does. Twice on second day series I have seen him run to a fall, look at the bird without slowing, take another 25 30 yards and come back to the bird. He knew where it was, he looked at it both times, he was just amped and wanted to run. We now work off some energy before we hit the test grounds.