RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Proper Hunting Attire?

5K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  Kenneth Niles Bora 
#1 ·
Proper Hunting Attire?

We all see now and again threads branching off to asking what is proper hunting attire. Or some will criticize one organization or another on what is allowed or what is not. Some criticize one group for being too strict and another group for being too lax.
It all boils down to what each person feels is needed to go duck hunting. And then some will even criticize those who never hunted but have nice brand new camo duds for the tests they run, go figure??
I was looking at the snapshots from our opening day up here in Vermont. Wednesday, October 9[SUP]th[/SUP] from 6:28 a.m. to 7:30 a.m. two friends and me each harvested a limit of ducks. I was able to take 2 wood ducks, 1 Blue wing Teal and 3 Green Wing Teal for my 6 bird limit. It was a oddly warm day with skeeters still buzzing and jackets came off and were put on and it took a bit to get comfy afore the shooting started. Looking back at the photos we took. Look what I ended up having on.

Proper Hunting Attire?

blue jeans, black hoodie, black RTF cap, at least my barn boots are camo!
Hey Chris and Roadkill.
Am I the first to limit out on ducks in an RTF cap
?:D

See less See more
#5 ·
In real hunting the ducks judge your attire and I imagine the big white letters were in the hide. In tests, HRC got it right. It's easier if folks cooperate than if judges have to score all the "Men in Black."...

At the same time, I'm surprised that HRC never uses hides - just buckets on an exposed shore most of the time... I visited the Fall Grand yesterday and the tests were great. I would have loved to run them. But even in camo, I won't hunt that way next week when it opens here.

I hope the woodies made a wonderful meal. Best eatn' duck there is.

#7 ·
The ducks and geese have gotten acclimated to seeing people in camo as "hunters" which equals "bad", so they try to stay clear of camouflage. However, black hoodies, ball caps, and blue jeans with a gun equals hoodlum, and they generally don't shot little birdies, so ducks and geese will get much closer to these type of dressed people. It is the evolution of "urban" camouflage. Who knew that you were so cutting edge Ken!

#14 ·
I have killed a several hundred ducks in a blue filson sweater, standing in the shadows of a cypress tree. Still upset my buddies won't let me wear it to the line. :D I think they are just jealous of my personal sense of style. Or lack thereof. :D

#20 ·
Looks good to me. I have always thought the rules regarding attire at HT’s were a little over the top. I really don’t think the dogs performance is based on it’s human’s fashion choice of the day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.