The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How likely would this health issue be?

I would love to go to Cal. He was my vet when I lived in Central CA and he saved my dog's life, diagnosing a rare presentation of Valley Fever (my dog had boils on his leg, and I posted pics of it a few years back on RTF). He is the best vet I know! He is 5 1/2 hrs away from me now since I moved up north. I have an appointment to see my local vet tomorrow, we are going to ultrasound and xray to see what we can see. If it shows a mass I will be making the drive to Oakdale.

You might check with his office. The PRTA Trial is at Corning, possibily a long shot but Dr. Cadmus may be running his dog there. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by dmccarty View Post
    I would love to go to Cal. He was my vet when I lived in Central CA and he saved my dog's life, diagnosing a rare presentation of Valley Fever (my dog had boils on his leg, and I posted pics of it a few years back on RTF). He is the best vet I know! He is 5 1/2 hrs away from me now since I moved up north. I have an appointment to see my local vet tomorrow, we are going to ultrasound and xray to see what we can see. If it shows a mass I will be making the drive to Oakdale.

I took Penny to the local vet today. We did the ultrasound and there was a large mass approximately 2 inches wide by 4 inches long. It was located approximately 2" underneath her spine, just in front of the pelvis. It was just hanging out in there and was not attached to the spine. Aspiration and slide exam showed it to be a lipoma. But it was not pushing on the spine or the pelvis.

I requested x-rays. There was the problem. A chiro would have been a waste of time and may have even made her worse. Her spinal column was well aligned, but the two vertebrae next to (cranial to?) the pelvis were compressed. Her left hip joint showed arthritis. By looking at the films, my dog should not be wanting to do much activity and certainly should not be running around acting like a puppy. But she is.

So now I have my answer. She will be 12 in March. The years of training hard, and hunting harder, are catching up with her. I will still take her out and shoot a duck or pheasant or two for her, till she tells me it's time to stop. I don't know how long her spine will hold up, but that's just a mystery of life. I bought her some Osteo-3 which I am not sure will help her much, but it can't hurt and she likes the taste. She doesn't like her Tramadol so I give her only 1 a day, and a half a Rimadyl maybe 3 times a week. She seems pretty happy like that for now.

And I will always wonder how long that big ol' fatty tumor has been floating around inside my dog. Was it there when I ran Penny in the AKC Master tests? Did it participate in training days? What hunting adventures did it tag along with? I think I will name it the Starship Enterprise, just for fun.