The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: 4yo intact male interested in our old 11 yo nutered male

Default 4yo intact male interested in our old 11 yo nutered male

We have 4 dogs, 3 labs and a golden. In the past couple months the 4 yo intact golden has taken a real interest sniffing our 11 yo nutered m lab. He follows the lab around constantly sniffing at him, the lab is dysplastic and slow, offers no resistance usually, but does not like it, occasionally a quick snap at the other dog. the other two, a nutered 5 yo m lab and a fixed 4 yo f lab are not interested in any of this. my wife thinks the old male is giving off some oder now, possibly from a unknown medical condition, that has not occured in the past. the golden whines a lot over this, making himself a real nusance, and wanting more contact with the old guy. the old guy has been on several meds for a couple years, nothing changed in last 2 yrs, for his bad hip joints, most notibly norvox daily. Any ideas what could be causing this behavior change in our young golden? Bud
    Bud Bass, aka akblackdawg

"Your life today is a result of your attitude and the decisions you made yesterday. Your life tomorrow will be the result of your attitude and the decisions you make today." unknown

I would get the old guy checked to see if he has a urinary infection. If not, I would put the old guy on some cranberrry caps. The cranberry changes the pH of the urine, hence changing the way the dog smells to other dogs. I have used it on a bitch that attracted males all year around and they stopped bothering her in a couple of weeks after the cran caps.

Meredith'

It seems some neutered dogs and spayed bitches smell like a "bitch in heat" all the time.
    High Tess JH
    Cedar Swamp's Cuttin a Rug "Josie"
    Cedar Swamp's Holy Terror JH "Terra"
    Blackfoot's Mr Independence at Cedar Swamp JH "Pow"
    Cedar Swamp's Angel in Disguise "Sky"
    Cedar Swamp's Test Pilot "Crash"
    Cedar Swamp's Bonanza "Ben"
    Cedar Swamp's Twisted Sister "Sissy"

Others have also graced our hearts...gone not forgotten.
    RC Buckshot of Seven Hickories MH
    Ceader Swamp's Deuces Wild SH
    Fallen Timber's Second Chance MH
    Ceader Swamp's Mac Millett SH
    and several others...

Perhaps he has just decided to "TAKE A WALK ON THE WILD SIDE" in memory of Lou Reed.

Cheers,
    Irishwhistler