The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: To get the same breed, or different?...

I am strongly leaning twords another lab. But I just wanted everybody's opinion. I have been looking for breeders with pups due early spring and have been overwhelmed with the amount of lab breeders out there. Just trying to find a good suit for what I want. Thanks guys for the info!
    Captain Drake of Dutchess JH. "Drake"
    Kodiak Miss Angel "Koda" R.I.P.

Pheasants are the Springer Spaniels specialty. There's a field trial Oct 26 & 27 in Owatonna, MN. Go walk in the gallery or offer to carry the shag basket. You'll get a good idea of whether or not that's what you're looking for.
    "The bird hunter watches only the dog, and always knows where the dog is, whether or not visible at the moment. The dog’ nose is the bird hunters eye. Many hunters who carry a shotgun in season have never learned to watch the dog, or interpret his reaction to scent."
    Aldo Leopold, Round River

methinks you need a golden!
    At the Spaniel hunt tests we ran recently no less than a half dozen people came up to me and commented that the "best pheasant dog they ever had" was a golden.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Just train the one you have in upland. He will pick it up. We never trained for upland and went to our first Grand never expecting to go the the 5th series. Taught the girl how to upland hunt the night before the grand upland test and she quartered like she has been upland hunting for years.

Quote Originally Posted by ndk3819 View Post
    For pheasants, I will always choose to shoot over brittanys. Just my personal preference. Your current lab might surprise you though with more exposure to the upland game. He sounds like my older female when she was younger. I hunted her exclusively on dove and waterfowl her first 2 years due to the low numbers of upland birds. But as the numbers came back I got her out on pheasants more and more. She wanted to stay near me at first and obviously didn't know what was going on for awhile, but we spent a lot of time working on quartering and once she started to learn there were birds out there to find, she turned into a really solid pheasant dog.
    ^^^This minus the brittany's. Your pup needs more exposure. The first time out my dog didn't leave my side. I literally had to push him with my boot(no I didn't kick him!). Now, when we're in top form he ranges out looking for birds using the wind. If I turn he'll see me and go with me, but stay out still looking for birds. Give it more time and birds.
    Joe Dickerson

R.I.P. 4xGMPR HRCH Hunters Marsh Jack Daniels Bubba Jazz MH
    Call Name: JD

Quote Originally Posted by KevinsKennels View Post
    I am strongly leaning twords another lab. But I just wanted everybody's opinion. I have been looking for breeders with pups due early spring and have been overwhelmed with the amount of lab breeders out there. Just trying to find a good suit for what I want. Thanks guys for the info!
    'Never hunted MN Roosters but if they are few and far between, heavily pressured and your hunting denser cover in smaller plots i.e. not Kansas, A hard working pheasant dog at 30 yards puts more game in your bag. Expect to spend some money on pheasant farms and over time make it more difficult (longer between fewer birds) to build the perseverance. Dog's gotta believe theres a bird in every field.

Hunted with a guy last year whose dog had it too easy in the preserves - finally got him out after some wild ones and the dog quit after an hour.

Lotsa bird, lotsa balance, good OB before hitting the field. And buy a good breeding.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    .... the dog quit after an hour.

...... And buy a good breeding.
    HNTFSH, Just to play devil's advocate. How would you be able to tell if the pup was from a good pheasant hunting breeding unless you personally knew mom and dad or had someone you trusted to know what good hunting pheasant dogs were knew mom and dad?

I know that trial breedings make birdy tractable dogs so that's where I'd go, but do they make the best pheasant hunters?
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

If your dog is good and steady, you can have the best of both worlds. Springer to find and flush them and your Chessie, to retrieve them.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Flint View Post
    Pheasants are the Springer Spaniels specialty. There's a field trial Oct 26 & 27 in Owatonna, MN. Go walk in the gallery or offer to carry the shag basket. You'll get a good idea of whether or not that's what you're looking for.
    ^^^^^^This is good advice.^^^^^^
    Redstars Hayseed Bo ..... "Butch"

Springers are excellent retrievers. I think they should be allowed to retrieve the birds they produce as a reward.

While the Golden in my avatar was a fantastic pheasant dog, he wasn't as fast at trailing a running bird as my Springers have been. When he got on a runner, it might take a couple hundred yards to produce it where my Springers tend to push them out sooner. The other advantage of a Springer is their endurance. They are simply built for the job and will still be hunting hard when a retriever has slowed to a trot.

At the end of the day, I am of the opinion that choosing a breed is such a personal decision, any advice you get should be overshadowed by whatever breed appeals to your eye. You will be happier in the long run if you like to look at your dog doing his job.
    "The bird hunter watches only the dog, and always knows where the dog is, whether or not visible at the moment. The dog’ nose is the bird hunters eye. Many hunters who carry a shotgun in season have never learned to watch the dog, or interpret his reaction to scent."
    Aldo Leopold, Round River