The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: To get the same breed, or different?...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by truthseeker View Post
    If your dog is good and steady, you can have the best of both worlds. Springer to find and flush them and your Chessie, to retrieve them.

Keith
    There are lots of breeds that can find and flush. I have a hunted with an Airedale that was just as good as finding and flushing as a bird dog. It just takes prey drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    HNTFSH, Just to play devil's advocate. How would you be able to tell if the pup was from a good pheasant hunting breeding unless you personally knew mom and dad or had someone you trusted to know what good hunting pheasant dogs were knew mom and dad?

I know that trial breedings make birdy tractable dogs so that's where I'd go, but do they make the best pheasant hunters?
    That's where I'd go too. In buying on what one might assume is drive, tractable, intelligent, athleticism, persevering work ethic - add lotsa birds and the obedience/working relationship of staying in range - and I'm thinking you have a pretty nice pheasant dog.

Few states have reasonable wild bird populations and Lord knows how many SD releases in a year...lol.

I don't judge a pheasant dog by preserve standards but many do, unfortunately.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

IMHO, I would really consider a GSP. If you want an upland dog, there is no better breed.

Quote Originally Posted by M_I_Outdoors View Post
    IMHO, I would really consider a GSP. If you want an upland dog, there is no better breed.
    Based on what, assuming you want a pointer to begin with?
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Quote Originally Posted by SpinRetriever View Post
    There are lots of breeds that can find and flush. I have a hunted with an Airedale that was just as good as finding and flushing as a bird dog. It just takes prey drive.
    I was Just giving him a different look. where he could have fun with both dogs.

Keith

There's nothing better to me then upland with a Springer and I have hunted with most breeds.
    Last edited by truthseeker; 10-14-2013 at 08:24 PM. Reason: more

Quote Originally Posted by M_I_Outdoors View Post
    Good for real open areas, where you have to cover a lot of ground. Its a real be**h where the birds are holding in heavy cover 8 feet high and you have to go in and flush them.
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    I tend to go for a quality dog, rather than trying out new breeds or colors. Labradors are a very hard breed to beat as gundogs; waterfowl or upland. Get a good one, and you have a strong dog for those uses.

Evan
    Good in cooler weather, do not last long in higher temps. Water dog first everything else second.
    Keith

I don't understand the problem. you have a dog that hunts within gun range flushes and retrieves birds and you are not happy with him? I have seen many people with the best pheasant dog ever that spend more time hunting the dog than hunting birds and watching birds flushing out of range and gone. I train mine to stay within shotgun range as I am nearing 60 I can't and will not run after a lab on a running pheasant. They sit to a whistle or else.

Best waterfowl dog I've ever had = Lab, Best upland dog I've ever had =Lab. Not to say they were the same dog, because they most determinately were not. The waterfowl-er, was too big to get into the ruff, ditches etc. and would wear out after a couple of hours in the upland field. The upland dog would get bored in the duck blind, and was too small to fight river current like the bigger dog. Best part was that both of them were passable at the other hunt type and could work well together. I don't think breed matters as much as a dog having the correct build, perseverance and personality required for the skill set. I ran a Rottweiler that was a good upland flusher, she was hard mouthed and a terrible retriever, but she did try, and was very remorseful for crushed birds, still she could find and put up the birds, she loves it and could run for hours.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 10-14-2013 at 11:24 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by SpinRetriever View Post
    I have a Lab, GSP and Spinone. While the Spinone is neither as good a retriever as the Lab or as flashy a field dog as the GSP, he is good enough at pretty much everything.
    If you're prepared to empty the gold out of your saddlebags to get a gundog, no finer or more fun piece of work to work with.

With the possible exception of dynamite that comes in a little smaller package

MG