The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rowdy (by Pirate) First Ribbon

Default Rowdy (by Pirate) First Ribbon

Rowdy got his first ribbon yesterday, akc senior hunt test.
    http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps32e24ea9.jpg

The test was a really hard test. Eight dogs of 29 passed. There were 21 dogs carried to the water series. One of the passes was to a MH dog that was down sandbagging so the owner could maintain judging eligibiltiy for senior level.

Some features of the test that I thought were hard:
    Land-the blind was only about 50 yds or so away from the fall area of the flyer and at about the same distance.
    Water-the blind was beside a pennisula directly across from the dog. The dog had to avoid the point then swim almost parallel to the pennisula.
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 10-14-2013 at 01:24 PM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Awesome got my first this year 5 in a row makes you feel great huh Wayne , congrats Neil

Did they drop dogs for taking the land instead of swimming by to the bird? Seems a bit strict for senior. Congrats to you and Rowdy showing such good results from your effort and allowing us to tag along through videos.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

The test was in vicinity of College Station. It was like a different world down there. The fields were all green and the ponds were full. There was a big storm Sat night and Sun morn early. It took almost an hour to get to the test site because of the most direct highway being flooded.
    I don't think very many if any dog were dropped by the judges. All the ones I saw were picked up by the handler for a variety of reasons.
    Rowdy actually beached a little early. He was all the way across the pond
    But closer to the peninsula than the blind.
    The blind was not hot. It was marked by an orange ribbon around a log at the waters edge. The duck was up the bank from the log by a yard or so.
    Some dogs had trouble with the marks and wouldn't handle. Some wouldn't take a cast off the point. There was a storm cross wind right to left.
    The dogs that had trouble with the marks were up wind and wouldn't check down.
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 10-14-2013 at 02:11 PM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Congrats! Enjoy your video's. Your Pirate dog is much better looking than the female Pirate dog that lives across the street.
    HR True Grits Finer Edge

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    One of the passes was to a MH dog that was down sandbagging so the owner could maintain judging eligibiltiy for senior level..
    now Wayne,
    don't you mean to say
    "keeping in line with akc judging requirments to be able to give up weekends so others may play with dogs.
    To be burnt, soaked, muddied, dusted, chafed and run over by a bus in the name of the non-slip retriever
    "
    .... ?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

congrats wayne

half way between Cat Springs and Raccoon Bend - Texas

First congratulations on your and Rowdy's successful completion of this test.

Next I want to say that after almost 17 years in this sport I still feel that Senior is the hardest level to prepare for, to run, and to judge.

Now, I'd like address your comment about my dog "sandbagging" by running in a senior test. I feel that term is very offensive. Maybe you feel like I am somehow cheating the system. Let me assure you I will not intentionally break a rule. On page 17 of the newest copy of Regulations and Guidelines ..... It says, "Dogs that have acquired a Master Hunter title at an AKC licensed or member club Hunting Test are eligible to enter Junior and Senior Hunting Tests."

The rule was changed by approval of the AKC Board of Directors, nov, 2011. You can find it on line.

As to the difficulty of this test, it was challenging, but as you say there were dogs going out for all sorts of reasons, including at lease one break, one refusal to go when sent for the memory bird, and one who retrieved the log with the ribbon tied around it. I think one reason for the difficulty especially for a lot of the younger dogs was that with this drought we've been in, many have not had the experience of finding game in cover because it's been so dry that even the weeds won't grow.

Again, congratulations on your dog's ribbon, I look forward to seeing you at future tests!
    Last edited by Lady Duck Hunter; 10-14-2013 at 06:23 PM.
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

The Lady

half way between Cat Springs and Raccoon Bend - Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    now Wayne,
    don't you mean to say
    "keeping in line with akc judging requirments to be able to give up weekends so others may play with dogs.
    To be burnt, soaked, muddied, dusted, chafed and run over by a bus in the name of the non-slip retriever
    "
    .... ?
    Thank you, Ken.
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

The Lady

Congrats Wayne!
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX