The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for akc rules junkies

I wanna thank you all though,, You sure have me pourin through the rule book during the free time I dont have,!

Gooser
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 10-20-2013 at 12:41 PM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Geez Gooser, ya saying that bird boy is unnatural?

Whadayathink his momma would say?

Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    It may legal but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.
    What seems to be lost in the conversation is that even those who've said it was legal per the rules have also said that they don't do it except under unusual circumstances. There's one pond at the cattle ranch that I've said that I will not use ever again because the only choice is to do the blinds and marks in this fashion. You can set up all manner of different blinds and marks but every set comes down to this issue. So, yes it is legal but no, none of us like to do it ... at least no one I've ever judged Senior with.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

And to gooses, I've never set a test with the intent to trick or eat up dogs. Nor have I bragged about it later. Mostly I've reflected and wished I could have done a better job. No test is perfect.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    "He needs to come to here and run MY test!"

"That Judge has an EGO,, and is trying to trick a YOUNG dog,, then Gloat later of how his test "Ate Dogs"
    Therein lies the problem with some judges. How many lament that their test "Ate Dogs" ? Particularly at the lower levels.

I am editing this to emphasize the word SOME in the above sentence. Certainly not all and like gooser says below, sometimes what looks doable is just not what it seems.
    Last edited by jacduck; 10-20-2013 at 09:04 AM.
    John C aka jacduck

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

I haven't judged much but have set up lots of training scenarios. Sometimes I will setup thinking it is straight forward and the dogs do terrible.
    I don't think judges set out to trick or fail dogs. They do like me some time and don't realize how deceptive the setup is.
    A judge recently asked me what I thought of the land series. I told him I thought the blind was difficult and he replied yes it was deceptively so. I thought that was an honest response.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

I didnt say ALL judges do,, I said SOME Judges MIGHT.

Like some here that have posted earlier, that have said that IN THEIR OPINION,, AKC or WE should expect more out of dogs, than the standard may state.

Thats THEIR opinion. Either they are setting tests up to advance that opinion deliberately,, or they dont understand the standard, and make mistakes.

So, Based on this discussion we have had, that is pages long, clearly interprets the running rules differently,, How do you prepare a dog for Senior?

I believe MANY had decided to say Screw Senior,, and just run Master. I think that is a shame, and is a black eye on the venue.

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

There is a way to trick a young dog by running a blind between the gun stations before the marks are thrown and there are ways to NOT trick a dog by running the blind between the gun stations before the marks are thrown.

There is a way to trick a dog by running a blind outside the gun stations after the marks are thrown and picked up and there are ways NOT to trick a dog by running a blind to the outside of marks before the marks are thrown .
    One would have to see the test first ,,,right,,
    tests should contain meat,,but shouldn't be tricky ,,a toddler can trick a dog. Sometimes there's a fine line between the 2 depending who 's eyes are looking at it.
    Pete
    Last edited by Pete; 10-20-2013 at 11:49 AM.
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

I think that there is a difference between a test that is too hard for the particular class of dog (e.g. under the arc poison bird blind in Qualifying) and a test that is intended to trick a dog (e.g. dry guns in a marking test)

It seems that most people here are concerned that certain tests are inappropriately difficult for Senior level dogs - not that the judges are employing a deceptive technique.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    If the judges set a blind up the middle of a virgin field, ran the blind then later put some guns out and threw a double mark, I would agree with you, but to run a land blind between two gun stations is a bit over the top in a seņor test in my opinion. Plus having the memory and scent left over from the blind adds difficulty to the marks. It may legal but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.
    I have never seen or set up a land blind up the middle...Like Eric said , it is water blinds where this occurs ...AND usually this is the best alternative to the situation ...Making the best of what a judge has to deal with is part of the game...Stay with in the boundary of the rules and do the best you can to meet the requirements of the test...If most could avoid it I'm sure they would rather do something different...Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters