The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pup drinking water, bloating like a tick then getting sick

Default Pup drinking water, bloating like a tick then getting sick

Hey guys, anyone have this problem and a particular fix for it? I have a really high drive pup 18 mos old that always seems to drink drink drink when she gets in the water, to the point of barfing...

Today was the first duck boat ride and she did great however... water was salty and the end result wasn't at all pretty.

She has unlimited access to water accept at night. I don't get the obsession?

She's good and sick today. You can tell she feels like poo... maybe she'll learn? everything I know about dogs says probably not... but maybe.

Thoughts anyone? It's gonna be a long season for her if she doesn't quit it.
    Darrin Greene

My 11.5 year old BLM has this same obsession with water. He's had it his entire life. It's mostly just an issue at home, not in the field. So when guests come over, I have to take away his water bowl or else he will drink EVERY drop available...and then, if I'm not paying attention, he might have an accident or puke it all up.

Your dog should be checked out by a vet first as there are plenty of diseases that can cause excess thirst. Once that's ruled out... You learn to deal with it. I trained my dog to only drink when I allow it while we're out hunting. But, in the house he's allowed free access to water, so I've just gotten really good about picking up the bowl when I think he might have a drinking binge.

Is it an avoidance behavior??? Not saying it is, but at work, I've seen dogs drink for minutes at a time when they are under social pressure or work pressure.

Iv'e got a 4 monthe old puppy right now that is obssesed with the water bowl or anything that holds it, puddle, toilet, lake, pond you get the point. Had him to the vet last week, 300.00 in test and no med problems which is good but still have the problem. Vets answer was he has a obsessive disorder with water. So now we have no water bowls down, I control his water, kind of a pain with 3 other adult dogs in the house. He goes to work with me and the other 3 stay home, while were gone the other 3 have a fresh bowl of water and befor last week the minute we walked in the door he would dive for the water bowl with both front feet and his head in it, even though he had water during the day. Now I come home go in the house and pick up the water before he comes in. I bring him in the house and give him a small bowl of water in his crate, when he's done I let him out and give him a couple other portions during the evening ending at 8pm. So far it has been working and he seems less possesed by the sight of water.

Point them at the water and say "Back". Usually seems to cure most dogs.

Im kidding ......i"m kidding..........

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    Is it an avoidance behavior??? Not saying it is, but at work, I've seen dogs drink for minutes at a time when they are under social pressure or work pressure.
    I don't think so Jen, she does it while retrieving but also just when you let her out to pee or when she sees a pond. She's an EXTREMELY high dog. You can barely even pet her. She really has a hard time sitting still. She has two speeds, full blast and vibrate. I have seen her sleep but that's about the only time the dog is truly still. She'll sit nicely on the whistle but she is on a hair trigger to go at all times.

I thought about just taking her out and immediately throwing bumpers to keep her from thinking but she just drinks the whole times she's swimming.
    Darrin Greene

Well if anyone can figure it out, you can, Darrin. Sounds like the challenge of the year! Good luck! And let us know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    Well if anyone can figure it out, you can, Darrin. Sounds like the challenge of the year! Good luck! And let us know how it goes.
    Thanks Jen but I think you may be over estimating me LOL

I'm thinking of making sure she has water at ALL times... riding in the truck (to the extent it's practical), while in her crate at night... ALL times...
    Darrin Greene

[QUOTE] [/I'm thinking of making sure she has water at ALL times... riding in the truck (to the extent it's practical), while in her crate at night... ALL times...QUOTE]

sounds like your going to have alot of dirty crates

ya know what Todd she never really has a problem with that. it's kinda crazy that way. under normal circumstances despite how much she will drink at one sitting, she doesn't even pee in the run, much less the crate. it's only when she gets around water and is excited that things really go crazy. speaking of which I had better go let her out!
    Darrin Greene