The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pup drinking water, bloating like a tick then getting sick

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    ya know what Todd she never really has a problem with that. it's kinda crazy that way. under normal circumstances despite how much she will drink at one sitting, she doesn't even pee in the run, much less the crate. it's only when she gets around water and is excited that things really go crazy. speaking of which I had better go let her out!
    Thats the problem I was having with this puppy, he has been the hardest dog i have ever started to potty train, constanly having accidents around the house and it all stemmed from too much water, you couldn't let him out enough, finally the past few days he has been asking to be let out at home, but has never had a accident in the crate when he is at work with me where I have controlled the water.

I have had this same problem with a couple of my Tollers Todd. It usually takes a little over a week of restricting their water to a "normal" amount before they settle down. That said, my first one with the problem was a breeding bitch and I had to watch her water consumption when she was nursing puppies because she would revert back to drinking everything in sight, and consequently peeing everywhere.
    Liz Macpherson
    Rowantide Tollers
    www.rowantide.com

CH Kare's Ocean Tide CDX WC JH (1999-2009-RIP)
    HRCH UH CH Rowantide's Taylor Maid CDX SH, CDN/US WCX (2 MH passes!)
    HR CH Rowantide's Quikkr Pikkr Uppr CD JH, CDN/US WCX
    HR CH Rowantide's Remember Me CD WCX
    UH HRCH CH Rowantide's Celtic Cap WCX
    CH Rowantide's Quack Addict WC
    Rowantide's 1 More 4 the Road
    UH Trinity Just'Nuther Redhead

Anyone can train a Lab......
    maybe even a Toller person....

I have one water obsessed dog. She will vomit if she drinks too much at once, so I break it up. The obsession comes and goes. Our problem only occurs in the house and we have 3 dogs inside. When I feel she has had enough, I say her name and then "enough." She stops drinking and goes to her dog bed. It's sort of like a leave it command for her. Of course you have to teach the dog the command. Works great and keeps me from having to empty the bowl and allows the other dogs access to water.

Would it be fair to compare this type of behavior to human who chew their nails, cheek suckers etc?
    Field trial labradors, the wind beneath my wings,

sometimes poop under my boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie View Post
    Would it be fair to compare this type of behavior to human who chew their nails, cheek suckers etc?
    I think you're correct; I take my lab fishing, and she drinks water obsessively when I catch a bass! It's a type of stress relief behavior. Fortunately, my bass fishing is so bad that she hasn't been harmed.

I have learned one thing scouting around some different places this week. Day one she drank obsessively and got pretty sick. Felt poorly for the rest of the day. Day two she felt better but didn't drink. Day four after resting a day, we see it again to a degree but not as badly. It seems... as usual... a tired dog is a good dog. That, or finally getting REALLY sick from the behavior taught her a lesson. I believe more strongly in the former vs. the latter but we will see how things progress through the rest of the season.
    Darrin Greene

My dog did the same as a puppy. After getting sick a few times, she learned to drink at the perfect speed: fast enough to drain an entire water bowl in minutes, but not fast enough to get sick. I never worried about it much and gave her as much water as she wanted.

She's 10 now and about a year ago, she started having issues holding her bladder when I was gone for the day at work. The vet did a bunch of tests and determined she was healthy, just getting a little old. Per his suggestion, I just give her less water now, particularly when I'll be gone for the day. She still drains a full water bowl within minutes of me putting it down...

I had one in this summer that inhaled water going out on a water retrieve to the point of collapsing upon returning.I would offer water before but seemed to refuse.I did make sure that no feed was consumed 8 hrs prior which made for a pain to schedule workouts.
    I kept all marks to 50 yd max.I`m guessing about 15 sessions of 3 different singles at 50 yds on water for a couple weeks and getting sick somewhat slowed the consumption down but not completely.

Talked to the owner about it and he was here a couple times to witness it.We will see how it works out if in fact it ever does.I have a friend that had some derby points on a real nice lab that did the same thing and he sold the dog because of it. Jim
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

Maybe after this episode with the salty water she might quit the habit?

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Spann View Post
    Maybe after this episode with the salty water she might quit the habit?

Lonnie Spann
    we'll see Lonnie. She's going to get a few more chances over the next 4 months... I had a previous dog that drank saltwater exactly once with the same affect. We'll see if this little girl puts things together.
    Darrin Greene