The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32

Thread: Religion & the Military

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    They have been classified as a Hate Group by several organizations including the Southern Poverty Law Firm in B'ham. Not that the SPLF has the final word on such matters but, consider; Don't Christians believe that their God made all people? Then as Christians, shouldn't God's children be treat with love and not castigated? They are anti-homo and anti-Muslim. I don't care much for Muslims, but then I don't pretend to be a Christian. Gays? I don't pretend to know what is best for them either. I do believe in the Right to; Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness, which obviously they don't. To me, one either respects The Constitution or they don't. If a group doesn't, then simply they are a hate group.
    If someone is considered a hate group by the southern poverty law firm, they are probably doing something right.

    I too believe in the Right to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness and they would say they do too. Their website says they support traditional family values, and you can't argue with the facts that those values have made a lot of happy people (but also a lot of sad people). But as the Libertarian favorite Penn jillette and atheist has explained, if someone believes that a certain belief has eternal consequences, then you cant blame them for sharing it. You classify them as anti this and that, when you could just as easily classify them as pro-life, pro-marriage, pro-faith.

    I get what you are saying, and most Christians do not castigate gays, but we are not going to say that the homosexual lifestyle will lead to happiness.should we say that on a national level with laws? no we should love others on a local level and let God take care of the rest. Just don't be so quick to throw these folks under the bus. Maybe just a warning that they might get thrown under the bus if they keep it up

  2. #12
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    11,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mudminnow View Post
    If someone is considered a hate group by the southern poverty law firm, they are probably doing something right.

    I too believe in the Right to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness and they would say they do too. Their website says they support traditional family values, and you can't argue with the facts that those values have made a lot of happy people (but also a lot of sad people). But as the Libertarian favorite Penn jillette and atheist has explained, if someone believes that a certain belief has eternal consequences, then you cant blame them for sharing it. You classify them as anti this and that, when you could just as easily classify them as pro-life, pro-marriage, pro-faith.

    I get what you are saying, and most Christians do not castigate gays, but we are not going to say that the homosexual lifestyle will lead to happiness.should we say that on a national level with laws? no we should love others on a local level and let God take care of the rest. Just don't be so quick to throw these folks under the bus. Maybe just a warning that they might get thrown under the bus if they keep it up
    There are 18 homes in my little subdivision, all on 2 acres. The best looking house architecturally with a very neat yard, well landscaped and always immaculate belongs to two older guys! They are always smiling, happy as they can be and waving at neighbors driving by. Who knows, they may even attend a chruch that welcomes them. Whereas, I am more of the neighborhood grouch, keep your kids off my lawn kind of person. Anyway, I'd be the last person to tell them what they are doing is wrong.
    Last edited by Franco; 10-15-2013 at 10:22 PM.
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge



  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    2,881

    Default

    they are Christians.....all Christians are members of a "hate group".

    1. the "Rabbi" told us to "Love thy neighbor as thyself...." so Christians are commanded to "love others".

    2. when he witnessed the activties in the tabernacle of his day the "Rabbi" displayed righteous anger. So Christians, like the "Rabbi" must "hate sin".

    it is logical that, if one only identifies themselves as the "sin" they commit, then they will consider those that "hate sin" must also hate them as a person. this is not good logic!

    example; let's say, i am a dometic abuser and i often beat my wife. the fact is a true Christian loves me and wishes to help me with this problem. this same Christian also hates domestic abuse.

    but if i say to myself, "I am a wife beater....it's what i do, it is who i am!". then my faulty, "worldy logic" would follow that, "Christians hate domestic abuse, they hate me!" NOT TRUE! does that make sense?
    Very well put John. You definitely get it. Most people can't understand that concept because of their worldly pursuits. They spend to much time thinking about how to get more junk instead of seeking out what God has to say about it.
    You can hunt ducks at my place anytime.
    Pete

    PS that was not a come on (.(.
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

  4. #14
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    11,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Very well put John. You definitely get it. Most people can't understand that concept because of their worldly pursuits. They spend to much time thinking about how to get more junk instead of seeking out what God has to say about it.
    You can hunt ducks at my place anytime.
    Pete

    PS that was not a come on (.(.
    This is a huge contradiction, your God made them that way! And lets face it, man wrote what they thought the Rabbi Jesus meant 200 years after his death and there have been revisions to those Gospels since.
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge



  5. #15
    Senior Member GaryJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    724

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    This is a huge contradiction, your God made them that way! And lets face it, man wrote what they thought the Rabbi Jesus meant 200 years after his death and there have been revisions to those Gospels since.
    Care to explain the revisions eve
    were
    Hebrews 11:3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

    What if all we have today is what we gave thanks for yesterday?

    Let the views of others educate and inform you, but let your decisions be a product of your own conclusions. (Jim Rohn)

  6. #16
    Senior Member GaryJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    724

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GaryJ View Post
    Care to explain the revisions eve
    were
    I hate when I hit the wrong key on the iPhone.

    Care to explain the revisions that have been occurring ever since the Gospels were written?
    Hebrews 11:3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

    What if all we have today is what we gave thanks for yesterday?

    Let the views of others educate and inform you, but let your decisions be a product of your own conclusions. (Jim Rohn)

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    This is a huge contradiction, your God made them that way! And lets face it, man wrote what they thought the Rabbi Jesus meant 200 years after his death and there have been revisions to those Gospels since.
    Franco, I will call you on this. Any scholar will tell you that The gospel of Mark was written during the lifetime of folks that walked and talked with Jesus. I believe it was written around 60 a.d. Also the other Gospels were written before the turn of the century. And you are looking at it from a modern perspective. Oral history was just as good as written word in the jewish culture. Any Jew worth his salt could quote the Pentatuch so retelling each other the story of Christ was important and when the first Generation of believers were dying, then it became important to write down what they were speaking to each other.

    Did God make gay people gay? I think there is a genetic component to it, but I also believe that sex out of the confines of marriage is wrong(not in the pursuit of happiness). Marriage is b/w man and woman and was made for our enjoyment not to exclude people. To my gay Christian friends we press them to remain celibate and find their identity in Christ and not their sexual preference.

    You are being very abrasive to Christians here and are acting like a liberal (modern, not classical) and are smarter than that.

  8. #18
    Senior Member road kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    10,903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    There are 18 homes in my little subdivision, all on 2 acres. The best looking house architecturally with a very neat yard, well landscaped and always immaculate belongs to two older guys! They are always smiling, happy as they can be and waving at neighbors driving by. Who knows, they may even attend a chruch that welcomes them. Whereas, I am more of the neighborhood grouch, keep your kids off my lawn kind of person. Anyway, I'd be the last person to tell them what they are doing is wrong.


  9. #19
    Senior Member BonMallari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LV/CenTex/Idaho
    Posts
    12,944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post

    I dont think so....I am thinking more like the Scott Glenn character "Roger" in Training Day
    All my Exes live in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    2,881

    Default

    [QUOTEThis is a huge contradiction, your God made them that way! And lets face it, man wrote what they thought the Rabbi Jesus meant 200 years after his death and there have been revisions to those Gospels since.][/QUOTE]

    Ha ha Your God made them that way through sin and the degradation which comes from sin.

    You about made me choke on my lunch. Franco,,,the only reason this is contradictive to you is because we both have totally different standards for truth. You rely on what man has to say about it. I could care less about what an unbeliever has to say about it. And your an authority on this subject ? Pleeeeze.
    But I do find your opinion on these matters contradictive. At least you recognize JC was called Rhabbi which means master or is a title of honor according to the usage in John 1 :38,,,which of course is odd since you don't see him that way. He was also a redeemer,brother,messiah,son of God ,Son of Man,,and many other descriptions.

    Just shaking my head here. Although I disagree with you,,I dont hate you. OH thats another thread
    Pete
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •