The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32

Thread: Religion & the Military

  1. #21
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    10,794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    I want to be just like Clint when I get that old!
    It's time we abandon our party affiliations and rather than being good Dems or good Repubs we all become good Americans. MJH345

  2. #22
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    10,794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    [QUOTEThis is a huge contradiction, your God made them that way! And lets face it, man wrote what they thought the Rabbi Jesus meant 200 years after his death and there have been revisions to those Gospels since.]
    Ha ha Your God made them that way through sin and the degradation which comes from sin.

    You about made me choke on my lunch. Franco,,,the only reason this is contradictive to you is because we both have totally different standards for truth. You rely on what man has to say about it. I could care less about what an unbeliever has to say about it. And your an authority on this subject ? Pleeeeze.
    But I do find your opinion on these matters contradictive. At least you recognize JC was called Rhabbi which means master or is a title of honor according to the usage in John 1 :38,,,which of course is odd since you don't see him that way. He was also a redeemer,brother,messiah,son of God ,Son of Man,,and many other descriptions.

    Just shaking my head here. Although I disagree with you,,I dont hate you. OH thats another thread
    Pete[/QUOTE]
    I call him a Rabbi because that is how Thomas Jefferson saw him in Jefferson's Bible. BTW, Jefferson never believed the Rabbi Jesus to be the son of a god. You can have you mythology, I'll choose reason.
    It's time we abandon our party affiliations and rather than being good Dems or good Repubs we all become good Americans. MJH345

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    2,825

    Default

    So is Thomas Jefferson your messiah . Good luck with that one. Your far worse then Thomas,doubting Thomas that is. He hung around JC and heard and saw what he did,,,and he still didn't believe until he could see and stick his hand in the wound. In this day and age you have to believe without a doubt first to be able to see. You'll never see the proof.
    The carnal mind is enmity against God and can not receive the things of God. Just that simple. If God was a myth and didn't manifest his power as he has promised according to his rules then I would go somewhere else. Luckily he is the only thing in this world that is true to his word.
    Pete
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    427

    Default

    It sounds like you are inferring that believing in Jesus as the Son of God is unreasonable. I know all my fancy words and apoligism cannot sway anybody. But I will give you this quote from a former agnostic,

    “I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: I’m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don’t accept his claim to be God. That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic — on the level with the man who says he is a poached egg — or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse. You can shut him up for a fool, you can spit at him and kill him as a demon or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God, but let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.”

    CS Lewis, Mere Christianity

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    427

    Default

    Franco, I think it is rather ironic, that the "myth" of Christ is the reason I am a libertarian. Christ would have definitely been a libertarian, actually who would have probably been considered an anarcho-capitalist. Us Christians must remember that the original form of government on earth was anarchy, and the only form of government that has remained steady is the heavenly monarchy.

  6. #26
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    10,794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mudminnow View Post
    Franco, I think it is rather ironic, that the "myth" of Christ is the reason I am a libertarian. Christ would have definitely been a libertarian, actually who would have probably been considered an anarcho-capitalist. Us Christians must remember that the original form of government on earth was anarchy, and the only form of government that has remained steady is the heavenly monarchy.
    I respect anyone's right to believe in whatever they want to, just as long as they don't step on my Rights to avoid them or their message. The point in this thread is that Jesus taught one thing and man has twisted it to mean something entirely different. BTW, Jefferson also regarded the Rabbi as a great moral teacher and that is why he wrote his Bible. He just didn't believe he was the son of a god. .
    It's time we abandon our party affiliations and rather than being good Dems or good Repubs we all become good Americans. MJH345

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    2,825

    Default

    [QUOTE][I call him a Rabbi because that is how Thomas Jefferson saw him in Jefferson's Bible. BTW, Jefferson never believed the Rabbi Jesus to be the son of a god. You can have you mythology, I'll choose reason./QUOTE]

    That's fair enough. Nothing wrong with reasoning out of TJ's bible ,,,But I like to do my reasoning out of the scriptures. Just as you talk about our liberties,,from the constitution.. I speak of mine via the word of God ,,but I also relate it to our constitution which is a Godly document,,because it does not contradict whats written. God wants life liberty and the pursuit of happiness for all. But I'll spare the agony of the chapter and verse unless you would like to know where they are in the word
    By the way I'm not trying to convince any one of anything because thats not my job. My responsibility is only to speak it when the opportunity comes along. Thats should be every christians desire,,,but I;ll save many the agony and not give chapter and verse.

    Pete
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

  8. #28
    Senior Member twall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    The point in this thread is that Jesus taught one thing and man has twisted it to mean something entirely different.
    Franco,

    Man has been twisting God's word ever since the garden of Eden.

    While you may respect anyone's right to believe in whatever they want. Those who want to label an group that supports biblical christianity as a hate group are trying to shut down free speech.

    Tom
    Tom Wall

  9. #29
    Senior Member roseberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Alabama
    Posts
    2,105

    Default

    franco,
    earlier you used the term castigated in reference to what these Christian "hate groups", namely the afa do to others. if castigation is rebuke, reproach, scolding etc and it is aimed at an individual i tend to agree that this is not Christlike. when we look for "Christlike" the apostle Paul told us in Galations 5:22 that we will see, "The fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faithfulness, meekness and temperance..." this is quite a list. the word Paul used is fruit and is singular meaning the entire list of attributes are present in the spirit filled life of a Christian. if Paul had said, "the fruits of the spirit are....." this would indicate that i could pick and choose which of the fruits i wished to display today. don't work that way!

    i voted for you for president of rtf, i hope we eat dove and crawfish together soon. i respect you very much and i trust you do not view it as castigation towards you when i use the term "Rabbi" in quotes in a subtle way to show my disagreement with you.

    i know people who were homosexual in kindergarten and they are homosexual today. it seems they were born that way. let me give an example of my own life that Christians may view as similar:

    i am heterosexual, i was born that way! i am also extremely good looking, irresistable to the opposite sex and have an off the chart testosterone level, i was born that way! i struggle with this temptation everyday because i aim to be faithful to my wife, i don't want the homes of the married women who constantly approach me to be broken and i would never truely love any of the young single girls who would spend the rest of their lives unfullfilled. to act on "the way i was born" would be to commit adultery, fornication and all manner of heterosexual immorality. though i don't do these things because of an indwelling of the Holy Spirit, i would not do these things even if i were not a Christian because my wife or some woman's husband would kill me! i made all this up about myself(except for the part about where sherry would kill me) to be humerous and to say we all struggle with things in our lives. Christ was tempted just like me, just like my gay and lesbian friends and by faith i know he was perfect.

    also Jesus loved a good party and socializing with others. he went to weddings, dinner parties(with the irs agents of the day) and even let "hot chicks" annoint his feet with oil. he is about our heart, not our rules!
    john mccallie

  10. #30
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    10,794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    franco,
    earlier you used the term castigated in reference to what these Christian "hate groups", namely the afa do to others. if castigation is rebuke, reproach, scolding etc and it is aimed at an individual i tend to agree that this is not Christlike. when we look for "Christlike" the apostle Paul told us in Galations 5:22 that we will see, "The fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faithfulness, meekness and temperance..." this is quite a list. the word Paul used is fruit and is singular meaning the entire list of attributes are present in the spirit filled life of a Christian. if Paul had said, "the fruits of the spirit are....." this would indicate that i could pick and choose which of the fruits i wished to display today. don't work that way!

    i voted for you for president of rtf, i hope we eat dove and crawfish together soon. i respect you very much and i trust you do not view it as castigation towards you when i use the term "Rabbi" in quotes in a subtle way to show my disagreement with you.

    i know people who were homosexual in kindergarten and they are homosexual today. it seems they were born that way. let me give an example of my own life that Christians may view as similar:

    i am heterosexual, i was born that way! i am also extremely good looking, irresistable to the opposite sex and have an off the chart testosterone level, i was born that way! i struggle with this temptation everyday because i aim to be faithful to my wife, i don't want the homes of the married women who constantly approach me to be broken and i would never truely love any of the young single girls who would spend the rest of their lives unfullfilled. to act on "the way i was born" would be to commit adultery, fornication and all manner of heterosexual immorality. though i don't do these things because of an indwelling of the Holy Spirit, i would not do these things even if i were not a Christian because my wife or some woman's husband would kill me! i made all this up about myself(except for the part about where sherry would kill me) to be humerous and to say we all struggle with things in our lives. Christ was tempted just like me, just like my gay and lesbian friends and by faith i know he was perfect.

    also Jesus loved a good party and socializing with others. he went to weddings, dinner parties(with the irs agents of the day) and even let "hot chicks" annoint his feet with oil. he is about our heart, not our rules!
    Damn, we have a LOT in common!

    For Roseberry, Pete and the rest....I do believe in Saints

    Though in 1966, I wanted them to be named The Bourbons.

    Lifted off of Facebook.
    It's time we abandon our party affiliations and rather than being good Dems or good Repubs we all become good Americans. MJH345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •