The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: SS v. SSI

Default SS v. SSI

Just stumbled across this statistic:
    The COLA also affects benefits for more than 3 million disabled veterans, about 2.5 million federal retirees and their survivors and more than 8 million people who get Supplemental Security Income, the disability program for the poor.
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...cmp=latestnews

It is no wonder that the system is going broke ... intended for retirees, most coverage goes to non-retirees. And we have just been reading about how much fraud there is in SSI claims.

By law, the cost-of-living adjustment is based on the Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers, or CPI-W, a broad measure of consumer prices generated by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. It measures price changes for food, housing, clothing, transportation, energy, medical care, recreation and education.
    I really question whether it includes food, transportation, energy and medical care! I am astonished all the time by the increase in the cost of certain items in the grocery store. Isn't everyone always griping about the increases in the cost of health care? Maybe recreation cost has gone down because fewer people can afford any? Cost of homes may have decreased, but rents continue to rise.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

"The question of the year" ( e-mail from a very dear relative we discovered while doing genealogy ).

"We are always hearing about how Social Security is going to run out of money.

How come we never hear about Welfare running out of money?"
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

[QUOTE=charly_t;1154026]"The question of the year" ( e-mail from a very dear relative we discovered while doing genealogy ).

"We are always hearing about how Social Security is going to run out of money.

How come we never hear about Welfare running out of money?"[/
    QUOTE]

Excellent point! Careful, some may accuse you of hating under achievers.
    It's time we abandon our party affiliations and rather than being good Dems or good Repubs we all become good Americans. MJH345