The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: First Derby

Default First Derby

My dog is getting ready to run her first derby this week. This is my first as well. I have only attended one derby before and I was wondering what kind of set ups I should be expecting in the first couple of series. Any other advise would be very much appreciated as well. Thanks
    Last edited by Chris Collins; 10-14-2013 at 07:47 PM.

Take your time. Let the dog sit and look around before you signal that you're ready.

Be sure your dog sees the memory bird and that you have the dog facing the correct bird when you signal that you're ready.

Wait until the judge gives you your number before you send the dog.

Take your time. Take longer than you think you need. Be sure the dog is lined up right for the memory bird before you send him.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Breathe!

Have fun.
    -trudie

Will there be doubles right off the bat I assume? Is there a possibility of triples?

I will most probably be 4 series all doubles. But, it doesn't have to be. I've seen singles, doubles and retired guns. I haven't seen a triple in derby yet but triples have been done.

I have run 3 series derbies and I have run 5 series derbies.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Went pretty fast for me
    Judge told me my dog handled nicely

seriously,,,, Good luck it's a Ton of Fun!
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

It's a 99% chance there will be doubles off the bat. There will likely be one very long (150 -250 yd) memory bird and one shorter, more obvious flier station. Like John said, make sure the dog is looking at that long memory bird solidly before signaling for the birds. Hopefully, you've already been practicing that. Really watch the folks who go before you and break down their moves so you can copy them, if they're successful.

Drink less coffee than you normally would! Stay to the end of the series, even if you failed. It's always possible the judges will scrap the test and start over, giving you a second chance.

Good luck!

memory bird will usually be long 150-350 and go bird will usually be half that. although this last derby i ran i found out i need to train with go bird/flyer being a little closer in distance (memory was 225 flier was 175) as the closeness makes it even more tempting to return to flier. usually guns will be seperated by 50-75 yards in width wise if they are throwing opposite directions (out) or 75-100 if they are throwing same direction

First series: land 99.99999% it will be a double with go bird flier
    Second series: if short on time/grounds may run as a single directly after picking up double. otherwise land double
    Third series: water almost always double
    Fourth: water again if time or grounds permit a double. if not a single

i was in your shoes 3 weeks ago. just stay calm. take your time (still learning this one myself)