RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

First Derby

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  blake_mhoona 
#1 · (Edited)
My dog is getting ready to run her first derby this week. This is my first as well. I have only attended one derby before and I was wondering what kind of set ups I should be expecting in the first couple of series. Any other advise would be very much appreciated as well. Thanks

#2 ·
Take your time. Let the dog sit and look around before you signal that you're ready.

Be sure your dog sees the memory bird and that you have the dog facing the correct bird when you signal that you're ready.

Wait until the judge gives you your number before you send the dog.

Take your time. Take longer than you think you need. Be sure the dog is lined up right for the memory bird before you send him.

#5 ·
I will most probably be 4 series all doubles. But, it doesn't have to be. I've seen singles, doubles and retired guns. I haven't seen a triple in derby yet but triples have been done.

I have run 3 series derbies and I have run 5 series derbies.

#7 ·
It's a 99% chance there will be doubles off the bat. There will likely be one very long (150 -250 yd) memory bird and one shorter, more obvious flier station. Like John said, make sure the dog is looking at that long memory bird solidly before signaling for the birds. Hopefully, you've already been practicing that. Really watch the folks who go before you and break down their moves so you can copy them, if they're successful.

Drink less coffee than you normally would! Stay to the end of the series, even if you failed. It's always possible the judges will scrap the test and start over, giving you a second chance.

Good luck!

#8 ·
memory bird will usually be long 150-350 and go bird will usually be half that. although this last derby i ran i found out i need to train with go bird/flyer being a little closer in distance (memory was 225 flier was 175) as the closeness makes it even more tempting to return to flier. usually guns will be seperated by 50-75 yards in width wise if they are throwing opposite directions (out) or 75-100 if they are throwing same direction

First series: land 99.99999% it will be a double with go bird flier
Second series: if short on time/grounds may run as a single directly after picking up double. otherwise land double
Third series: water almost always double
Fourth: water again if time or grounds permit a double. if not a single

i was in your shoes 3 weeks ago. just stay calm. take your time (still learning this one myself)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.