The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for hard core hunters

Question Question for hard core hunters

I'm curious, the Vest thread got me wondering, for those dogs that do have a good double coat (regardless of breed) do you find you definitely need a neoprene vest for the dog? Is it something you only use late in the season? Or on long day hunts? Or in certain areas of the US?

Please let's not turn this into a standard/type/show vs field thing. I'm really interested in the answer.

Sue Puff
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

A dog soaked to the skin is going to get cold in temps below 55 F. They're going to get soaked to the skin after a few swims. Then they have periods of inactivity waiting for the next group of birds. Best to prevent their core from getting wet to the skin by using a vest.

I have two Goldens. One has a VERY thick double coat and he can go longer before getting cold, but he eventually gets cold after the fourth swim. My young one has a thin coat and gets cold quickly if she's inactive after getting wet.

Disclaimer, I'm not a hard core hunter, but I jump shoot ducks in a coastal wetland 3 or 4 days a week during the season.

If you hunt in a lot of cypress knees, you want a vest to protect the abdomen.
    Wm. Mark Edwards
    Pascagoula, MS

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH
    SHR Tipsy

Quote Originally Posted by suepuff View Post
    I'm curious, the Vest thread got me wondering, for those dogs that do have a good double coat (regardless of breed) do you find you definitely need a neoprene vest for the dog? Is it something you only use late in the season? Or on long day hunts? Or in certain areas of the US?

Please let's not turn this into a standard/type/show vs field thing. I'm really interested in the answer.

Sue Puff
    This should answer your question http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...ght=10+minutes

In the old days I saw dogs shiver like they were trying to crap a cactus because of the cold conditions.

It is not just in the water. Snow, dew and sub freezing temps can all cause a hypothermia problem.

I used to tell EMT students that the coldest thing a patient encounters is the ground yet often they are just covered to protect from the cold air. Same applies to dogs in field hunting.

Thank you God for inventing neoprene vests and reminding me to take along a ground cover too.
    John C aka jacduck

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

From early season to late. Almost always. Protection & concealment. Why not?
    NAFTCH FTCH AFTCH Mjolnir Bluebill Of Allanport
    Flatlands Bayduck of Allanport
    Dakota Creek Teal of Allanport

I hunt in all sorts of conditions. Beaver ponds, impoundments, big and small water lakes. I keep a vest on my dog from day one. Two reasons really. One reason is for protection from underwater hazards that I cannot see. Or even those that I can. I also have some type of ground cover he can sit on in the blind, in my boat or even on the open ground. There are times when he is in the water a long time. He will get soaked to the skin pretty quickly during 3-4 long retrieves. Last year I was guiding at a managed impoundment and we had waves of birds coming in. My 3 hunters shot their limit of birds each in about 45 minutes. My dog was in the water almost non stop. At one point he made 12 retrieves with out getting out of the water. Air temp was about 50 and the water temp was close to the same. Needless to say that even with a vest on he was shivering afterwards. I'm also noticing that the older he gets the more susceptible he is to the cold. He will be 10 this December and I'll definitely keep an eye on him and also split up the work with a new pup I have.
    "Blastem Daddy!" My Son's advice to me as a big ole Tom turkey came strutting within range. My son was 6 at the time.

Weller's Tell It To The Judge MH (Justice)
    Weller's Running With The Wind MH (Chase)
    JD's In It Again MH (Trouble) 5/1/2009 - 1/3/2012

I use one when it starts getting a little colder. They will not keep a dog from getting soaked to the skin as they are not water tight. However they will work like a wet suit and hold the dogs heat and be very warm. I have actually stuck my hands under the vest to warm them up after messing with the decoys and getting my hand wet and cold.

A guy I used to hunt test with was some kind of a union muckety muck in the longshorman's union up here. He would have a sea duck hunt with his union buddies every year on Kodiak Island. He brought the only dog. He didn't always remember to bring the dog's vest on these trips and he couldn't exactly go home and pick it up once he left home.

He said the dog was only good for about 30 retrieves before hypothermia would set in and he had to quit for the day. He said with the vest on the dog was good for 50 retrieves before he got to cold. This is anecdotal, but I don't have any reason to disbelieve him.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Banned

My own observation is that they work better with dogs that have high body mass to begin with. Put one on a Shorthair and it does help but in a relative sense it is still not that valuable. I have found those ShamWow towels are the best at drying them off when they get out of the water. The vest isn't gonna help much when the dog is dripping wet out of the water. The idea behind the neoprene is that it traps water between the vest and dogs body to create a layer of warmer water but eventually it drains out or the dog can't keep the water layer warm any longer. That is why the biggest benefit is with dogs that have high body mass. The other thing is that a thick double coat is both a blessing and a curse because the undercoat stays very wet so the dog needs the opportunity to shake. The vests prevents that to some degree.
    Last edited by SpinRetriever; 10-15-2013 at 03:48 PM.