RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Question for hard core hunters

12K views 51 replies 35 participants last post by  Kenneth Niles Bora 
#1 ·
I'm curious, the Vest thread got me wondering, for those dogs that do have a good double coat (regardless of breed) do you find you definitely need a neoprene vest for the dog? Is it something you only use late in the season? Or on long day hunts? Or in certain areas of the US?

Please let's not turn this into a standard/type/show vs field thing. I'm really interested in the answer.

Sue Puff

#32 ·
For cold weather-water hunting I don't think it's close, use a vest. Just based on the shivering test I am 100% certain my dogs are way more comfortable in a well fitted quality vest. Add in the other arguments, safety from punctures and abrasions, buoyancy and camo, it's a no-brainer.

Now I'm talking about north country cold weather water work, super cold upland or southern state winter hunting might be different, though I know it gets below freezing down there as well.

John

#33 ·
I thought all dogs shivered while out hunting??? :confused: From opening day to the last call of the season, 80° down 10° or colder. Wait, you're right, that's not shivering but quivering from excitement..... :rolleyes:

I do put a vest on late season. Pup is more comfortable with it and will be quivering vs shivering - all based off of how many screws are loose......

#36 ·
I thought all dogs shivered while out hunting??? :confused: From opening day to the last call of the season, 80° down 10° or colder. Wait, you're right, that's not shivering but quivering from excitement..... :rolleyes:

I do put a vest on late season. Pup is more comfortable with it and will be quivering vs shivering - all based off of how many screws are loose......
I agree…especially first light before shooting when ducks are landing in your decoys or a bunch of coots swim by the decoys. It’s funny watching them. They will look at you and then look out and then look at you and look out…over and over again. Later the excitement comes down a couple of levels.
Anyway, I have an old Avery 3mm vest that I don on my dog because of a lot of dead branches around the hole and it does show wear with holes more on the top and sides of the vest then the chest.
But the point is to recognize the symptoms that a dog has had enough and be smart enough to stop right there or you might not have a dog to hunt with anymore. You don’t want your hunt to turn into a nightmare.
All I am saying is try to be diligent. :)

#37 ·
All my dogs wear the Avery Boaters Parka vest's from opening day to freeze up. Without them I would certainly get far less hunting done as the dogs would be hypothermic. Besides the added warmth factor, protects from sticks and reeds that would otherwise cut them up. Cheap insurance in my opinion, I would rather replace a vest that has been sliced or punctured than have to take the dog to the vet. Seen many a vest cut up by barbed wire and sticks and generally the dog is unscathed.

#38 ·
I have hunted many years without the vest and my biggeest reason was safety, I was more worried about them getting hung up and something bad happening. Luckily the one time I did have a dog get caught up the vest was velcro and came off. I was hunting a pond that was pretty safe but it opened my eyes. I really can't honestly say if my dogs are warmer with it. I believe their are water dogs and their are cold water dogs. I have had a few that the cold water never bothered. I have hunted a few rivers back in the day when it was below zero and the ice froze as soon as the dog got out and shook it off. I think this was before vest and the dogs did fine. I am lucky enough to hunt close to my rig and also to have a string of dogs. So now if I think a dog is getting cold I take them to the truck turn it on and let them lay on the floorboard. A few times I have had kids and dogs asleep in the front with the heater rolling when I return. I think Common sense goes a long ways in keeping dogs safe. I do see some lines with smooth coats and I do not think that is a good direction to go. I have friends in the south that love the slick coats. I am thinking about getting the vents like they have in cop cars to direct the heat to the back of my truck to warm them up in the topper.

#40 ·
It's just a thought?....But if vests are used for protection against underwater hazards?.....Why do they not come with protection for the 'LEGS'? and 'FEET'?
They would surely come in contact with anything underwater 'First'? .....And, if standing on the frozen tundra just waiting, Surely the they are in contact with it from the ground up?:(

#41 ·
An FYI for those that don't think a vest will keep a dog warm: during bitter-cold weather I will keep my hands warm by placing them inside my dog's vest. A well-fitted neoprene vest will keep a dog warmer than most other practicable alternatives.

#51 ·
I agree 110% with Tony Z. I've hunted plenty of days in Northern New England's late season with my mutts. You take your waders off and it's so cold they freeze and stand up by themselves. When you remove the dogs vests, steam is pouring off of them, and they are happy as a lark.

Usually, I start mid november putting vests on my dogs.

Have fun and be safe.

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.