The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Over" to the Marks, "Back" to the truck...

Default "Over" to the Marks, "Back" to the truck...

I don't know how many times I've learned this lesson, but I do know that I added one more to the list.

I had a GREAT time at Mississippi Valley this weekend!

Thanks to all of you who put on trials - at Busch and everywhere else! Thanks to all of you who give your time to judge - Mr. Bogusky, Mr. Parrott and everyone else!

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Great seeing you Chris. Better Luck next time!
    Jeannie Greenlee

Blazinlakes Legally Blonde CDX JH NAJ RA WC OD (1st Retriever)
    HRCH Smokingold Guns Up CCA WCX CD MH
    https://sites.google.com/site/smokingoldretrievers/home

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannie Greenlee View Post
    Great seeing you Chris. Better Luck next time!
    Jeannie, it was great! I had a ball. At this point I'm just glad I get the time to run a few trials a year!

Thanks to you and the rest of you for working so hard to make those Busch trials go.

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

The Busch group is GREAT...My wife and I always love to go there
    'What's worse than handling on a mark? Trying to handle on a mark' J.P.

I thought it was over to the blind not mark
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    I thought it was over to the blind
    My point is that the goal is more than just picking up the blind. The goal is to finish the end of the blind nicely enough to get INVITED to run the marks.

The example I referenced had a critical piece of water that involved getting off an inviting piece of land. I don't think anyone who skirted that last bit of water got to run the marks....(Unless test dog counts) I also believe most all dogs that skirted that last piece of water "succeeded" at picking up the blind bird.

Hence my phrasing "Over" to the marks...meaning if you can't get back in the water when you need it on a water blind, you are probably not going to advance in the trial.

This is so true. Over to the next series or back to the truck. This phrase is mainly used when on a point in a water blind. Dave Smith actually teaches a double cast on points in trials. Give the over, dog starts moving, hit whistle again, give bigger over. Dog hopefully gets in perfectly, straighten up with additional casts in water. This works well for me as my dog tends to go over point well but curls toward land and sometimes you lose sight for too long and then your heading home.

Took me several trials to learn this handling trick

Cheers

Chris

I finally remembered how I first heard it. Over to the ribbon and back to the truck. The me
    Memory is the second thing to go.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by Laird's Retrievers View Post
    This is so true. Over to the next series or back to the truck. This phrase is mainly used when on a point in a water blind. Dave Smith actually teaches a double cast on points in trials. Give the over, dog starts moving, hit whistle again, give bigger over. Dog hopefully gets in perfectly, straighten up with additional casts in water. This works well for me as my dog tends to go over point well but curls toward land and sometimes you lose sight for too long and then your heading home.

Took me several trials to learn this handling trick

Cheers

Chris
    What Dave is doing is actually using a set up cast. You will see most of the pros who are good handlers/trainers do this type of thing even on land blinds. It is very effective when you have to get the critical piece of cover, the keyhole, or get your dog off of point and into the water so that it does not curl behind the piece of land it came off of. It is especially effective on a point of land going into the water, when the dog has gotten up fat instead of on the very tip.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

I never learned the term "set up cast." I have always called it a double cast. Good old common language.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013