RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

"Over" to the Marks, "Back" to the truck...

5K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Nick Toti 
#1 ·
I don't know how many times I've learned this lesson, but I do know that I added one more to the list.

I had a GREAT time at Mississippi Valley this weekend!

Thanks to all of you who put on trials - at Busch and everywhere else! Thanks to all of you who give your time to judge - Mr. Bogusky, Mr. Parrott and everyone else!

Chris

#2 ·
Great seeing you Chris. Better Luck next time!

#5 ·
I thought it was over to the blind not mark

#6 ·
I thought it was over to the blind
My point is that the goal is more than just picking up the blind. The goal is to finish the end of the blind nicely enough to get INVITED to run the marks.

The example I referenced had a critical piece of water that involved getting off an inviting piece of land. I don't think anyone who skirted that last bit of water got to run the marks....(Unless test dog counts) I also believe most all dogs that skirted that last piece of water "succeeded" at picking up the blind bird.

Hence my phrasing "Over" to the marks...meaning if you can't get back in the water when you need it on a water blind, you are probably not going to advance in the trial.

#7 ·
This is so true. Over to the next series or back to the truck. This phrase is mainly used when on a point in a water blind. Dave Smith actually teaches a double cast on points in trials. Give the over, dog starts moving, hit whistle again, give bigger over. Dog hopefully gets in perfectly, straighten up with additional casts in water. This works well for me as my dog tends to go over point well but curls toward land and sometimes you lose sight for too long and then your heading home.

Took me several trials to learn this handling trick

Cheers

Chris

#9 ·
What Dave is doing is actually using a set up cast. You will see most of the pros who are good handlers/trainers do this type of thing even on land blinds. It is very effective when you have to get the critical piece of cover, the keyhole, or get your dog off of point and into the water so that it does not curl behind the piece of land it came off of. It is especially effective on a point of land going into the water, when the dog has gotten up fat instead of on the very tip.

#8 ·
I finally remembered how I first heard it. Over to the ribbon and back to the truck. The me
Memory is the second thing to go.

#10 ·
I never learned the term "set up cast." I have always called it a double cast. Good old common language.

#12 ·
Next time I get a no go, I going to send again real quick and call the first one my "set up send";-)

By the Howard... I have a 9 week old devil child terrorizing my house. I'm blaming it on you for calling me out so many times.

Good on both of you! Enjoy the ride! Better start to formalize OB soon, LOL! :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.