The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Training alone question

It's handle or beep the noise maker. I'll then repeat either as a multiple again, or two singles.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

If there is an issue I throw the mark as a single - stand alone. Try not to do doubles usually singles.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by fishduck View Post
    I'll repeat what my Mom taught me. If you put it on your plate, you are going to eat it. So before asking for double servings of broccoli & brussel sprouts make sure you like them. Handling on marks is as distasteful to me as broccoli & brussel sprouts. So I work hard not to pile it on my plate.

I am in a similar situation with 2 working wingers. When I work on memory with a difficult mark, I use the following scenerio. Put both wingers in one spot. Throw the mark with one winger. Leave the mark & run a blind that will add suction to the factors already present. Now run the mark. The second winger can now throw another bird if needed.

At this point in my life, I have a bird boy when I can bribe or con my 12 year old into throwing birds. The best option is for me to throw marks & Gray run my dogs.

Good luck!
    Very good advice ....Try running more than one blind before picking up the mark to extend memory and gain better control and a more cooperative dog in the whole process...Handling erases memory ....Steve S PS: handling on a mark is the last resort...It takes away the dogs instinct to hunt on their own ....If necessary to get the dog back to the area of the fall so be it...If noise didn't work ....
    Last edited by steve schreiner; 10-15-2013 at 04:58 PM.
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    I have 2 wingers both with remote triggers.

I set up a double. Dog needs help on memory bird.. What do you guys that train alone do?

I go to training days on weekends where there are real Bird boys. I dont think however, my dog understands BB help.

She rarely gets it (BB help) MOST of the time,,,,,, I handle.

Gooser
    First, I would make sure my latter drills are solid. I known that is hard with only two wingers. I would set up the wingers 200, 300, and use the hand held for my first one.( She must learn to check down) The latter in a reverse V shape. Use only one side of the latter at a time. When she has one side, then go to both and stretch it out to where you want.

Keith

I'm confused, the whole point of marks is to line them without a handle. Wouldn't handling on a mark during training degrade the point of stepping on the marks?
    The foundation to a great retriever is obedience.
    Firestorms Full Throttle Chevy aka Callie-Roo 7/5/2007 - 10/25/2013 I miss you every day
    Proud owner of Kona's Surfer Girl, aka Loki.

Hang or attach a walkie talkie to the winger. If she needs help do what the BB's do, give a hey hey hey using the walkie talkie that is in your possession.

GOOD LUCK!!
    I hate rude behavior in a man, won't tolerate it. Captain Woodrow Call

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Demander View Post
    This was my first thought when I got rid of my Bumper Boys and went to strictly using Wingers with birds for training on marks. I'll tell you from personal experience that this is a great way to cause future problems with switching on "diversions" in a HT setting. Fortunately, my male has a big enough mouth to carry two birds. The first time I tried it, he logically assumed that he was supposed to bring them both back. He's yet to actually "switch" on a diversion in a test setting, but he's either thought really hard about it, or he's carried both birds back at the same time. The problem never came up until I started using multiple wingers with birds for repeating a mark en route as a "helper".

Like Dennis said, I try to stick to singles when I'm by myself. If not, I try to be prepared for a handle. Running a blind and coming back to the mark is also good. I also use stickmen more often than not in training. Like Howard said, hitting the "Beep" or "Quack" on the electronics can help, but it depends on where the dog is and if they'll cross the bird or its scent when coming back to the sound. You might also try scenting wider fall areas or planting additional birds ahead of time to try to prevent the need for help with a second throw or a handle. I'm a rookie, so take this for what it's worth!

Good luck Gooser!

Nate
    This problem should have been taken care of way back when doing piles....You should be able to put a pile of birds out and the dog only bring back one...no shopping ,just grab one and get back to the handler....this subject was talked about just a short time ago....Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    I have 2 wingers both with remote triggers.

I set up a double. Dog needs help on memory bird.. What do you guys that train alone do?

I go to training days on weekends where there are real Bird boys. I dont think however, my dog understands BB help.

She rarely gets it (BB help) MOST of the time,,,,,, I handle.

Gooser
    When you are alone, do singles. When you have bird boys, have BB shoot and throw another bird if necessary and continue so until you say otherwise to them or dog is heading that way....Their there to help dog. I would not handle on a mark if at all possible.
    My penny worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Demander View Post
    My bad Steve. I must have missed the other thread. I tried to help! Thanks for the correction.

Nate
    Hey, don't feel bad...Just passing along info...Feel free to help any time...always good to see new(er ) people participating ...We are all here to learn ....Steve S

Hey Nate Thanks!!! Keep posting! Get thick skin and a thick head like Gooser. :

thanks all of you. I like the Idea of two wingers in one spot, then pick up mark after a blind. I will try that for awhile along with just running singles. She is pretty solid at Ht plus distances, but if I set up something longer , and it was a double, I work myself into a corner.
    the sound feature seems to just draw her to the winger. Doesn't understand it at all. Understandable, cause I never use it to get the dogs attention first.

One more question, then I'd better stop before overload sets in.

when you guys run stand Alones have you notice a habit develop that the dog runs wide of the gun?

thanks again

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"