The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How young is too young for e-Collar

Lab pups chew all the time. If you are trying to teach him to bring something back instead of laying down to chew on it, start at a much shorter distance. Throw it a couple feet and take it as soon as he picks it up so he starts learning that the game is to run out to get the toy and the human gets it. That way there isn't any time for chewing. But if your just trying to get him to stop gnawing on everything in the room, replacement toys help a ton with that. And as always, when they are pups, keep their fetch toys and chew toys separate until they know the game well.

Thanks again for all of the advice. We have been very careful about keeping fetch toys and chew toys separate, and he is actually getting better about wanting to chew on his toys rather than other things. The good news is, he never chews on his retrieves - even at about 25 yards in a field. He takes off as soon as the bumper hits the ground and comes back at full speed with no stops.

We use soup bones from the grocer for outside chewing and deer or elk antlers for inside. The antlers are great because they last forever and don't make a mess

I just brought home my new pup last weekend as well and was having the same problem. I went and bought the puppy sized kong toy that you can insert treats into the end and I now give her that whenever she starts getting a little too curious. It keeps her occupied for quite a while and keeps me from having to correct her constantly. Good luck with your new pal.

Would strongly recommend & advise you not to encourage this behavior at all. These are rough months we all go through. Way to soon for an e collar, once a dog is collar conditioned you can reenforce that chewing is not acceptable behavior, but again not till the dog has been properly collar conditioned. I like the advise of have complete control of the pups environment. Pups kept in a dog run or crated up is easier to control their environment when you can't pay 100% attention to them. Stay strong, before you know it that "Pup" will be by your side holding a duck in it's mouth, not mouthing it or rolling it in it's mouth & you'll be thankful you weathered the storm when they were a little rascal that had noting but needles for teeth!!

And a rough time it is. My three month old ylm has been a chewer and biter since we brought him home. He will chew anything he can get and he is not above taking things off of the living room table or the kitchen table if he is not under supervision all of the time. Seems like he has really liked my big toe for a quick bite But, he is getting better, I think. He also started out bringing his bumpers back to me and giving them up without any problem. Now he wants to keep them and carry them around by the rope, something else to work on now. I had forgot how much aggravation a puppy could be, but I know in the long run, he will be worth it all.

Most puppies have chewing problems, I've learned to distract them from their chewing by giving them something to chew on that is good for them like a toy or a bone.

Look into training classes in your area. A good puppy kindergarten class will help you and the pup get thru this first year. Funny thing, but I never think of the first 3-4 mos as being a problem for chewing... it's once they hit about 5-10 mos that you need to prepare for!

We always use pig ears or cow knuckles. Something that will break down when consumed. Also no dog bed in the crate until the chewing stops. Otherwise you just waste you money in dog beds and end up with a cotton filled crate. Haha
    Brent Davis
    256 506 8231

www.theultimatesportingdog.com

Whistling Wings Kennel
    256 498 5227

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    Look into training classes in your area. A good puppy kindergarten class will help you and the pup get thru this first year. Funny thing, but I never think of the first 3-4 mos as being a problem for chewing... it's once they hit about 5-10 mos that you need to prepare for!
    This TERRIFIES me. You're the second person who has said chewing started to get much worse around 5 mos. He literally needs to be chewing on something 95% of the time he's awake right now, so I can't imagine it increasing!