The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dog cuts don't heal well - any advice or products to help?

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to get some Vetericyn for future use and I'm trying out the zinc tablet idea to see if it helps "thicken her skin" and help her heal better.

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoLabs View Post
    I'd ask why she's not healing, rather than which topical products will create a scab....
    I wish it were that easy. She is a otherwise healthy young dog. Cuts clot well initially (no excessive bleeding) but just don't dry out and close up like my other dogs have.

I feed Redpaw performance 32/20 but she has been on Euk 30/20 with the same type of healing displayed.

Any ideas? Vitamin or mineral difficiency? Like I said I've started adding zinc to her food on the recommendation of another poster.

Quote Originally Posted by dpate View Post
    I wish it were that easy. She is a otherwise healthy young dog. Cuts clot well initially (no excessive bleeding) but just don't dry out and close up like my other dogs have.

I feed Redpaw performance 32/20 but she has been on Euk 30/20 with the same type of healing displayed.

Any ideas? Vitamin or mineral difficiency? Like I said I've started adding zinc to her food on the recommendation of another poster.
    My suggestion, would be to add a Vitamin C supplement. Vitamin C promotes wound healing through promoting collagen synthesis, and while dogs can make their own vitamin c, intense exercise and stress can deplete that. There is actually a fair amount of research out there regarding giving dogs vitamin c supplements. A quick search popped up this link : http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/iss...es/5309-1.html Also, if you want to research more, a Dr. Wendell O. Belfield did a bunch of research on using Vitamin C supplements.

Our Chessie's breeder actually requires that we give our pup Vitamin C supplements through age 2 in order to have his hips guaranteed against hip displasia. She gave us a bunch of information regarding Dr. Belfield's studies, and it makes alot of sense. It can't hurt him, and it certainly could help him, so we do it.

I don't know how long it would take to see results (if you were going to see them, assuming this was what was wrong in your situation), but I would guess that it could take some time...perhaps even weeks to get levels back where they were supposed to be to heal properly. We were directed to use regular Ester-C tablets you can get anywhere, and to do 125mg./day to 8 wks, 250 mg./day to 12 weeks, 500mg.s/day to 7 mos., 1000mg/day from 7 mos. to 1 year and 2000mg./day from 1yr to 2 yrs.

Perhaps you could discuss this with your vet too?

Thanks Chessie Mom. I'll look into the vitamin C research and ask my vet.

In your shoes I'd rule out the endocrine diseases, eg adrenal issues like Cushings can lead to poor skin quality and decreased healing. http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/cushings.aspx

Sounds like she's a young dog so it's not overly probable, but it looks like you have dog experience and if you feel she's not healing as quickly as she should compared to your other dogs, then there may actually be a problem.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dog vet - I prefer cattle and horses - so I'd recommend talking to a DVM who actually works on dogs on a regular basis.
    ~Your decisions are only as good as the information you base them on~

Lijah UD GO VER RE TDI CGC ASCA-CD (5/10 UDX, 138/200 OM1 pts, 9/100 OTCH pts)
    Boaz JH CD CGC
    Brie CD CGC
    Zen CDX (1/4 JH, 1/3 GO, 1/3 VER passes)

Some areas are just tougher to heal. Like on a spay, the incision is typically down the center. On some females, the skin folds over itself in the center like a gully. Air doesn't get to it. Just have to work a little harder drying it up. Or some areas the skin stretches a lot during movement.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

bbbbbbbbbbbb
    Last edited by ChessieMom; 10-24-2013 at 09:41 PM. Reason: wrong thread...oops