The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HRC Fall Grand, results after 4th series

Wind, shadows,ect are beyond anyone's control but all play a factor. Cover takes a beating after that many dogs run the same test. The "tough series" may not be so hard. The one time I ran, the tough series was first. There is a lot of luck involved for most dogs. There is also an elite group of dogs that pass regardless of conditions. These dogs are truly exceptional.

There are a LOT of dogs with one Grand pass for a reason.
    Mark Land

I started this thread, but have not seen the final list of passes. I did however get a call from my dogs Trainer - Handler, Steve Earick. He passed 2 of 6 dogs, 1 of them mine, the other was her littermate sister who achieved her GRHRCH today.

Congratulations to Steve, Tilly on her 1st pass, and GRHRCH Bourbon Belle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    HRCH TilHe CallsUsHome ~ Tilly

JJaxon,

Congrats to you, Steve and Tilly.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeOverby View Post
    That's just not true. A dog could legitimately handle in every series and still pass. Been there, seen it personally.

HRC weekend tests aren't scored. There are no numbers. Its simply pass/fail. The Grand on the other hand is scored. 0,1,or 2. The scores are cumulative. You can only score ones once and you do not have enough points to continue on. A big hunt on a mark, a handle on a mark irregardless of cleanliness, reason, or proximity to a fall, a loose blind, or loose line manners will get you ones every time. 2 cast refusals, an excessive creep, vocalization in any amount, or a big hunt and a handle in the same series will get your homebound ticket punched.
    There is some luck involved, but more than that you can't handle in a series that nobody else is handling because there's gonna be one mark that everybody is handling on that grand judges do not take into consideration and you're going to need it there. There's no reason to be scared...historically the pass rate is around 12%...it is what it is...not many pass. Just gotta be OK with that before you go running it.
    Never said you couldn't handel in every series. I said that they are accumulative.

Senior Member championretrievers's Avatar

Congratulations to Tilly, a major feat!
    Tina Perron
    GRHRCH UH DAKOTA'S BIG MAMOU SH "BUD"
    GRHRCH BARRACUDA BROWN FROM BIG MAMOU TOWN MH "CUDA"
    GRHRCH BIG MAMOU'S RUN FOREST RUN MNR **"GUMP"
    HRCH Cuda's Scooby Doo From Big Mamou "Scooby"
    Big Mamou's I Yam What I Yam "Popeye"

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Symons View Post
    Nate, there are so many variables that go into the set ups at that level, something as simple as a 180 degree wind shift, with the picture the dogs have of a mark, can cause a serious beat down. I was there, out in the third. The corn field test pass rate was very high the first couple of days. A change in conditions made it a very difficult series the last two days. That's the way it goes!! Look at D Flight pass rate out of the water test in the first series. That was a killer too. Didn't see too many dogs do it clean. I did stand next to one who did it though!!! PM me if you have any questions.
    Hammer walked into that series with an 8 and walked out on a rope!

I think that they give you the 1st pass then hook you into coming back for more!

Huge difference between the Grand and MN. One has a standard and you know what to expect. The other is "supposed" to be scored the exact same as a weekend test.
    Last edited by Splash_em; 10-16-2013 at 09:50 PM.
    Richard Gravely

I was at the Grand. Had a blast and come very close to getting a second pass and title. Went out in the 4th series. Had a marginal blind in the 2nd series. then had to handle on a 50 yard mark in the 4th. Way it goes. I will be back. From what I've been told MN is judged at Master level, the Grand is judged at Grand level, not Finished level.
    HRCH Mt. Holly "SKyler" Blue SH 500 HRC pts. club

HRCH Mt. Holly Thunder and Lightning "Storm" MH 500 pts. club, Grand pass

www.robrobertsgunworks.com

We are so disappointed. Rooster went through all 4 series without problems. If he had passed upland he would have received his title, he passed last year. During the upland he pointed the bird and would not break point to flush. Rooster is a steady as a rock pointing lab, waiting for his owner to flush and shoot the bird so he can retrieve. In his mind he did an ace job but it will not get the GRHRCH ribbon.
    Torgslabs
    www.Torgslabs.com
    4XGMPR HRCH (GRHRCH pass)HRK ROOSTER SMASHER, MH, QAA
    STONEY BURKE, MH, QAA
    ERIK THE RED, MH
    HUNTING MEMORIES, SH "TANNER"

Quote Originally Posted by JJaxon View Post
    I started this thread, but have not seen the final list of passes. I did however get a call from my dogs Trainer - Handler, Steve Earick. He passed 2 of 6 dogs, 1 of them mine, the other was her littermate sister who achieved her GRHRCH today.

Congratulations to Steve, Tilly on her 1st pass, and GRHRCH Bourbon Belle.
    Congrats to all involved! You have got to be proud and have every right to be. I got to see all of the series but the upland and there were definitely no gimme's and the tests were tough. Lot's of very talented dogs and handlers got dropped along the way. Again, congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by torg View Post
    We are so disappointed. Rooster went through all 4 series without problems. If he had passed upland he would have received his title, he passed last year. During the upland he pointed the bird and would not break point to flush. Rooster is a steady as a rock pointing lab, waiting for his owner to flush and shoot the bird so he can retrieve. In his mind he did an ace job but it will not get the GRHRCH ribbon.
    Ugh! I know that's got to be a tough pill to swallow..
    HRCH Conecuh River's Elegant Ella